Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Look something like???
Thats it, good photo chop :D

Hey Shadow-Warrior that looks awesome! It's a really good design and I can't wait to see it. You should be on American Inventor! Montana
Thanks, but i just tinker. I know what I want, and If I can't find someone that makes it, I will end up making it myself :cowsmile:

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I love the idea.

Everyone is talking about weight and door swing but, what I want to know is,

what about the license plate and tail lights?

In our state you can get a ticket if you do not have a light over your LP.

It seems to me that in order to not block the LP you would have to make it so high that the rear window would be useless and to make the window work it would block the LP.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
I love the idea.

Everyone is talking about weight and door swing but, what I want to know is,

what about the license plate and tail lights?

In our state you can get a ticket if you do not have a light over your LP.

It seems to me that in order to not block the LP you would have to make it so high that the rear window would be useless and to make the window work it would block the LP.
Yes the plate would have to be re-located. It wouldn't block the tail lights though. It is still in the prototype stage right now. I am moving it to a Modular system. I don't want to say anything more right now until it's complete, but it will be very cool when done :D I hope to get the prototype back from Jason soon, but I know he is very busy at the moment.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Mike that is EXACTLY what I need. I have been thinking of doing my own but you have got a very well thought-one already.

Props to you and rep points baby. VERY interested and I gotta have it.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Not that you don't have enought to consider, but the Gobi Ladder seems to be popular and was wondering if anything is considered about that in your design....or will I just have to stay with the good ole strap the cans to the roof method. Either way---Kudos continue your way!!!
As it stands right now, I am looking at a few different things. The only bad deal about the Gobi rack is I always see it located at the drivers side rear. This would be the best area for carrying just one fuel can due to it being closer to the rear door hinges, thus allowing more weight. By moving one fuel to the passenger side rear would put more tension on the hinges by itself creating a lever effect. This is what I’m trying to get away from. :)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Mike, a suggestion:

In my case, one can is fine. I also am keeping my Hi-Lift at home right now because I have a winch and a PullPal and that's what I always end up doing.

I may not be the only one - you could make a poll. If so, you could make the right side (2 cans) an option to bolt on.

This would help with the license plate issues, and the extended weight distribution question.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Mike that is EXACTLY what I need. I have been thinking of doing my own but you have got a very well thought-one already.

Props to you and rep points baby. VERY interested and I gotta have it.
Thanks Todd, I'm working with Jason on it. I hope when he finishes your truck he will be able to spend a little time and knock out my prototype. I have changed directions a little bit. I decided to make it a Modular fuel rack system, it will have the same fuel can carriers but will be intergrated into three different rack systems. I talked with Fab Fours on their new swing out rear bumper, they are going to give me the design specs on their bumper. I know Jason is working (when he can) on a new swing out bumper himself. This way the system would fit on different platforms.

I am also looking at if you wanted to carrier just one can, I designed a special rack that would hold a Hi-Lift, Shovel and Axe on the other side. This way it would provide greater flexablitiy to people. I don't want to let out to much about it at this time. maybe you can find out from Jason where we are :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
i used to have a jeep commando with a set up like you are describing...i think it was made by a company called kayline...jerry cans on both sides of the spare wheel that clamped and locked...highlift went behind the spare and locked...good luck...i like it..RR

81 - 93 of 93 Posts