Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the toyota recommended tire pressure, 32psi, be the same for the larger 285's for everyday on road use?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I run about 40 in the summer when I am pulling the boat, drop them to 35 in winter

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
When in doubt go by whats recommended for the vehicle. Then feel free to adjust in small increments to find the right pressure for your needs and to keep tire wear even.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Another dumb question...

Aren't you supposed to go by what is on the tire? As in, manufacturer's "direction"?

Not being a smart ass, just wanting to learn.

Joel N.
"Yog" (in Alaska)

·
Registered
254 Posts
The rating on the tire is usually "Max Cold Pressure" the tire manufacturer allows. I normally run 90% of that such as 44psi max cold pressure listed on the OEM tires on the FJ, I run about 40 psi.

Now for certain vehicles there may be a difference between front and rear dictated by design. I may be dating myself here but I owned a few Corvairs (rear engine-rear drive) and they needed a 10 psi difference front to rear because of weight bias, more pressure in the rear. I imagine front wheel drive vehicles would be similar.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Another dumb question...

Aren't you supposed to go by what is on the tire? As in, manufacturer's "direction"?

Not being a smart ass, just wanting to learn.

Joel N.
"Yog" (in Alaska)
Whats on the side is max pressure under max load.

If I went with what is on the side of my tires I'd be at 80psi (cold)
BFG Ko, 285/70/17

I currently run them at 37 for daily road use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts