Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wandering how many of you keep you back seats folded down or for that matter have taken them out. i have been keeping mine down and cut to fit a rubber mat so my three dogs who love riding in it won't slide around.
thanks for the responses

·
Registered
260 Posts
As with anything it depends on what I'm using the Fj for. If I need to put something in the back that is to long I'll fold the seats down. Camping - down. Dogs - seats up to keep them contained. Most of the time I keep them up so I can have family and friends ride back there.

I also agree that without something on the floor for the dogs it might as well be ice it's so slippery.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I removed the back seat and put in a platform that runs all the way to the back of the front seats.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took mine out. Put a piece of plywood about 6" from the front seats all the way back. This gives lots of usable space behind the seats. Then covered the ply with a runner from Walmart

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have the carpet cargo mat that stops them from sliding around. Just train them to stay put and not jump over. If I can get two Boxer pups to stay put, anyone can.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I keep the seat down almost 100% of the time, also because of the dog like others posters. I put a rubberized shelf liner sheet from costco (comes in rolls) and also a inflatable dog bed (think therma rest pad in a dog bed) over that. Without the shelf liner the bed slides around, which although really amusing in a sick way probably isn't safe and of course the nails try to grip everything. Works great!

Attachments

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
37,869 Posts
Pulled the bottom sections out and folded the backs down. Had it this way for a couple of years now. I have an Engel fridge/freezer right behind the drivers seat and room on the passenger side for the second one or whatever other gear I need.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
I also removed my rear seats and built a platform. It is perfect for camping. My children are grown, so all we need are two seats. It is easy to remove and to replace the seats when needed. I can go from platform back to seats in a little over an hour. My plywood is covered in carpet but you could substitute a rubber material, that would provide better traction and would be easier to clean.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
My back seats have been in plastic and in the attic for four years now. Still got that new car smell.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Removed my rear seats 2 years ago and custom fabbed a aluminum rack that I mounted a ARB fridge and a 2 drawer system in the back and a large aluminum dry box where the rear seats would sit. The box holds all my recovery gear, tools, some camping stuff and I stow extra cold weather clothing thats easily accessible when needed. Even with the rear seats folded, there was alot of wasted space that I was able to put to good use with this setup. Of course this setup wouldn't work for those who have kids, mother in laws, etc. to haul around. But since it's just my wife, me and a 20lb dog who rides on top of the box (I have a piece of sample carpet glued down for him to hang on to) It made sense to make the FJ a 2 seater. The rack and box weigh less than the rear seats also, which helps in the GVWR department. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Pulled the bottom sections out and folded the backs down. Had it this way for a couple of years now. I have an Engel fridge/freezer right behind the drivers seat and room on the passenger side for the second one or whatever other gear I need.
So you're calling your sheep gear now...:rofl:

Our back seats are hardly ever in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts