2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The birth of FREDDY FOUR WHEELS :bandit:
UPDATE:
Tire Carrier
Sub and Speaker

1986 Toyota 4runner Dlx

Suspension- Front Trail-Gear 4" IFS eliminator kit
- Rear chevy 63" 4wd 4 pack springs with bilstien 5100 12" shocks and a sky manufacturing 63" hanger kit

Axles
- front 5.29 gears, open diff, Trail-Gear diff armor
- rear 5.29 gears, lockrite locker

black steel wheels with Bfgoodrich km2 35x12.50R15

demello offroad rock sliders

Gen3 4runner expedition Baja rack, cobra cb, custom built gas and water can holder, 2 septer 2.5gal gas cans, 2 septer 2.5gal water cans, black smitty built m.o.l.l.e. Front seat covers.

I think that about covers it. It is a really good start. I am going to build some bumpers and a roll cage. Then saving up for dual cases. If you want or need information on anything seen or done here, feel free to PM me.
:cheers:

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: 4runner build

Update - 8-15-11

So, I am by no means an audiophile. I do however like to listen to my music relatively loud. This weekend I completely replaced the sound system and let me tell you it screams. I have no sub so the bass is lacking, but the mid/highs will make your ears bleed. What I've got, Kicker 3.5" in the dash, Rockford Fosgate 5.25" in the back seat, Kicker wakeboard tower speaker, Kicker amp, and JVC head unit.

Pics:
JVC head unit:

3.5" Kickers in the dash:

Kicker amp under drivers seat:

5.25" Rockford Fosgate components:

Kicker Wake board tower speaker:

Various Install pics:

Copied the paint here also:
I wanted a fresh start for the whole truck. SO, grandma got a new do.....

Patched some of the tin, then a light coat of bondo.

I hate taping....and photos....:bandit:

My buddy jimbo runnin the squirter.

:rocker:FINISHED PRODUCT!!!!!!:rocker:

I also bought some roll on bedliner to do the removable top. If it turns out good I may do the hood black out and possibly the bottom.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Great looking truck Nick. Looks like your ready for some serious wheeling.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

Very nice.
That's gonna be a really fun project.
Should be a lot of fun on the trail too.

:cheers:

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for all the comments. I just gassed it up, looks like its getting about 18 MPG!! Better than the FJ. Also took it out and stretched it legs a little today.

Found this little ramp. The previous owner said it got a 930 on the RTI. It still had lots to go.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Disney is sounding pretty good now gots to play with the new rig!!! Looks great I am glad it worked out for ya.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

86 was the first year for the IFS in the 4RNR

Back then the 4RNR was pretty much a pickup with a cap. It was identical to the pickup from the front seats forward.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts

Back then the 4RNR was pretty much a pickup with a cap. It was identical to the pickup from the front seats forward.
Yeah, I saw his solid axle in the photos but just now noticed the conversion listed in the first post.

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

That is my understanding as well.

Thanks for the comments. I went to my local steel shop and bought a few pieces of metal. I have Friday off so I'm going to try and get some bumpers started. What do you guys think, round or square tube or cnc some demello/allpro style?

nick:cheers:

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

^bump^ nobody has an opinion on bumpers? Right now i'm thinking c channel and square. Something similar to my ARB on the FJ.

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the trail gear bumpers, and honestly it will probably cost me just as much to build one, but I want the pride that comes with making something from scratch.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I am also a fan of tube bumpers (go figure). If I were to go with a plate style I would keep them smaller like a Demello rather than going big like the ARB.

I am not a fan of the huge ARB style and other large bumpers out there. They always seem to over power the look of the overall rig. Bumpers should add to the look of the truck as well as serve a function.

Good looking rig for sure, I have allways liked the removeable top look as well as the open air feel.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts