Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as some of you know, I sold a 1986 SAS'd 4RNR in October. I have thought about it and regretted it every minute since. I tried to trade my Rat Rod, but nothing ever came thru. Over the past few weeks, I've been in a position to purchase another one with out selling something.

I don't have a lot of time to build one so I needed it to be wheel ready. I searched high and low, test drove several 4RNRs/Trucks/even an 80 and thought I'd finally found the one Friday. BigTurtle and I went and drove it. Made an offer of $500 less than the askin price and the guy didn't accept.

So Saturday I contacted a guy about another one that was unfortunately 2x as expensive but was built a lot better. The guys add said "make an offer" so I made an offer and told him I'd pick it up site unseen the next day. After a couple phone calls and a little deliberation, he accepted my offer.

SOOOO here she is, "Black Betty". She needs a little love, and there are already somethings I plan to change. For now it'll do just fine.

91 Toyota Truck
-wheelbase is 125" and the width is 90" outside of tire to outside of tire.
-Fully Tig welded Exo Cage

Drive Train
-350 motor
-350 trans
-Lokar shifter
-203/205 doubler twin sticked
-Brand new GOTPROPANE system

Front
-Dana 60
-5.13 gears
-Detroit
-Yukon 4340 35 spline inners & outers
-RPM 35 spline drive flanges
-coil springs
-rancho shocks
-3 link with track bar

Rear
-14 bolt
-5.13 gears
-detroit
-disc brakes
-coil springs
-ranch shocks
-grader ball suspension

Misc.
-LED rock lights
-Mastercraft Harnesses. lap belts installed, need to get a brace welded in for the shoulder straps.
-Mastercraft Seats
-custom tube doors
-9500# winch
- 5 - 42" Iroks on 15" black steel wheels
-Crawlfab weld on beadlocks on 4
- Full Hydro steering
- Spare brand new PSC SE ram
-CD player
-Cobra CB

That's the important stuff, but now what everyone wants... PICS

These pics are from one of the previous owners adventures.

The first thing I need to do is get the gauges figured out. The dash is pulled apart right now, but I'm thinking this will be fairly easy. I'll cut a new piece and just run aftermarket gauges if need be.

Second step will be adding structure to the rear to protect the propane tanks. The guy installed this system on the 22nd. So while its brand new, if it rolls its completely unprotected.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That looks pretty sweet.

·
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It's a great start. I'm a little sad I have to go to work tomorrow and can't get started on some of the stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Congrats!

There goes any chance I had of following through Clayton. Hahaha.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts

·
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
銀チタン;2185568 said:
Congrats!

There goes any chance I had of following through Clayton. Hahaha.
I'll still probably take the FJ the 23rd. It won't be any fun following you guys in this thing... hahaha kidding. I got really lucky Chris. If that guy with the grey truggy would have accepted my offer, I'd have got 1/2 the truck for the same money.

Dump that thing is sick!!!:rocker:

Cant wait to see it rock in the rocks!!
Thanks Alex. I took it out behind my dad's shop and it managed to climb up a 80's conversion van. It would have gone farther but I didn't want to completely destroy the glass in the van. haha.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Dump
That thing is a beast. I would love to have a crawler . Maybe one of these day I will.
It definitely looks like it's ready to crush some stones
I can't wait to see more wheeling pic
:cheers:

·
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dump
That thing is a beast. I would love to have a crawler . Maybe one of these day I will.
It definitely looks like it's ready to crush some stones
I can't wait to see more wheeling pic
Thanks Don. I'm ready to hit the rocks too. It'll happen soon enough. I learned a few leassons from the first crawler. This one isn't near as pretty as the last one, but it should go anywhere I want!

That thing looks like a beast!
Thanks Dillion. 42's dwarf the 34's on the FJ.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That is awsome! Looks like you got a great deal. Look forward to seeing it in action.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Looks awesome Nick. :bigthumb:
Gonna be a fun rig to have.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Needs some plasti dip, and a built in grill. Hahaha.

It's probably a completely different experience off roading a vehicle that's not being depended on for the drive home. Can't wait to see the hat this is capable of.

·
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks awesome Nick. :bigthumb:
Gonna be a fun rig to have.
銀チタン;2185803 said:
Needs some plasti dip, and a built in grill. Hahaha.

It's probably a completely different experience off roading a vehicle that's not being depended on for the drive home. Can't wait to see the hat this is capable of.
That is awsome! Looks like you got a great deal. Look forward to seeing it in action.
Thanks guys. I'm really excited. As I sit here at work, I can't stop thinking that if i'd taken this week off, I could probably get my first round of mods done to it. :rofl: But alas, I gotta work. This thing needs some LED lights and they aren't going to pay for them selves.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
銀チタン;2185803 said:
Absolutely! Can't wait to see this rig in action buddy!

·
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like allot of fun! congrats on the new rig!
Absolutely! Can't wait to see this rig in action buddy!
I appreciate it guys.

So...how about bringing it down to superlift this weekend?
I don't think I'm going to make the ramble. I kinda spent all my dump money buying this thing. And I really need to get the gauges figured out. After I drove it around for a while yesterday, it might be over heating a little. It's hard to say since I don't have a temp gauge. Didn't smell hot, so i'm thinking the timing needs advanced a little. Don't wanna rush it.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
May have to borrow the tires for a test fit.

That's too much like wheeling from comfort of you recliner, save the AC.

Edited. Forgot the "Haha".

·
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Love it!! :rocker:
Thanks Jess!!!!
銀チタン;2186257 said:
May have to borrow the tires for a test fit.

That's too much like wheeling from comfort of you recliner, save the AC.

Edited. Forgot the "Haha".
I think you'd be the first FJ with 42's if you tried. But keep in mind they are 15's and 8 bolt. Also 14" wide, might need full body mount removal.

Haha, AC is gone, apparently 350 is a lot bigger than a 22re.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts