Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bridgestone Dueler H/T D840 or Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 or???

Question: I am on a strict budget and would like your suggestions on replacing my original Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 tires with Bridgestone Dueler H/T D840. A forum member has given me a great deal on 4 Bridgestones but I’m now questioning if this is the best decision and use of money based on Tirerack.com surveys – see attached.

Details: I am on a tight budget until we get my wife a new vehicle and the Dunlop AT20’s are in need of replacement. I do mostly hi way driving since this is my daily driver. I wheel 4-5 times per year on average and usually at Silver Lake Sand Dunes but want a good all season tire for Michigan winters. I can get the Bridgestone tires for under $100 each. I am questioning the quality and performance of the Bridgestone over the Dunlop tires or anything else that is comparable in price. How accurate are the survey results with those of you that have these tires? Will the Bridgestones perform similarly to the Dunlops?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I'm thinking that those numbers may be off a bit due to the number of people who will not buy these trires again in lieu of a set of more capable ATs or MTs. For street tires they are both pretty good. And if sand is your thing they will both do quite nicely though I believe the Dunlop's tread pattern is better addapted to sand, by a hair.

The price is right. I say get em' and see for yourself.

My .02

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking that those numbers may be off a bit due to the number of people who will not buy these trires again in lieu of a set of more capable ATs or MTs. For street tires they are both pretty good. And if sand is your thing they will both do quite nicely though I believe the Dunlop's tread pattern is better addapted to sand, by a hair.

The price is right. I say get em' and see for yourself.

My .02
thanks much - that is what I was thinking but ya never know there may be a different history with those here on the forum with an FJ. I hope to get another set of rims in the future with more agressive tread but that's after we get rid of our Grand Prix that is falling apart!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
My FJ has the Dueler H/T D840 as the OEM. I cant really complain about them, as in the blizzard last winter, I never had a problem getting around and this years ice and sleet has not been an issue either. Granted, a lot of that is knowing how to drive in those conditions, but tires certainly play a large part. As a dry tire it has also been decent as well. Handling and grip is good.

I am looking at options currently as it is time to get new tires as that first set is getting worn and we still have some weather to go.

In my consideration, I work so much this has become largely a commuter vehicle for weather times. I never miss work unless a big tree is down and blocking my road out from my wooded home. That happened once. I would have gone around, but its thick woods and powerlines were also down.

I have taken these tires on light offroad and done well. A hardcore offroad tire they are not, but a solid all around tire they are.

If I do not find a better recommended set of all arounds, I will buy these again.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info gang!

The Bridgestones by the way do not ride as nice - I even aired them down to 32 lbs. Oh well, you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that you'll get better MPG out of the Duellers than you'll get out of most any AT tire. If you don't wheel that much, you may want to consider saving your pennies or watch eBay or Craigslist for a cheap set of AT or MT tires to wheel in. They wouldn't need much tread if they're your backup and you don't need to drive on them daily. You could find a set for really cheap if you're lucky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts