Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a replacement battery for my '07. My first choice was the Optima Yellow top. The local price was just ridiculous. So I shopped around and found the Duracell. I got the reverse pole one so I didn't have to put together some kind of wire extension. Even with this one the wires barely reached. Anyhow it's in now.
Does anyone have any experience with these batteries?

Thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are fairly new. I think they came out last summer. Probably more comparable to the Optima red top. I don't think they're as good as the yellow top for deep cycling, but they have a full 3 year with a boost or tow if it doesn't start. So I guess if I get stuck somewhere I can drain the battery and call for a tow? Maybe not. If I ever have any problems I'll post an update. BTW, it was in the new gear section of one of the 4X4 mags. It is a little smaller and lighter than the OEM one but is still 795 CCA.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Totally different battery and technology from an Optima

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Most of the car batteries out there are made my Johnson Controls Inc. and are badged for a vendor.

This site has a link of some of their brands. Leading Brands

Even the Optima batteries are now owned buy JCI. A side not on Optima batteries, for any particular frame size, the color of the lid makes no difference on the capacity of the batter. The lid colors only indicate the type of terminals on the battery. So a 29 Red is the same as a 29 Yellow, just with different terminals.

As far as the Duracell batteries are concerned, I'm not sure who makes them exactly, but they look similar to the new silver series sold by Sears.

The Technology of these batteries is not new, it just being used in cars now. Most AGM batteries can be found in things like your computer battery backup, or emergency fire lighting. I've been using an AGM batter for years in my Miata since the battery is in the trunk.

The AGM batteries are better because they are sealed and tend to leak less. They are also a bit easier to destroy if over charged or over heated. I'm still not sure they are the best option under the hood, but someone designed them to go there, thats where they will go.

One thing to keep in mind about the Duracell type AGM and the Optima are the battery capacity. Many people buy optima batteries to use as Aux power for winches and radios. The Optima batteries may have good CCA, but they fall short on the Amp Hours ratings.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
A side note on Optima batteries, for any particular frame size, the color of the lid makes no difference on the capacity of the batter. The lid colors only indicate the type of terminals on the battery. So a 29 Red is the same as a 29 Yellow, just with different terminals..
That is not completely correct. The Yellow and Blue vary by terminal type - blue has marine screw terminals, Yellow has automotive posts and/or side terminals. The red tops have different internal construction, more speciffically designed for max cranking power, and do not deep cycle like the blue/yellow tops. For example, the Group 34/78 Yellow and Red top models both have top and/or side automotive terminals, with different internal structure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts