Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My brother and I went out to Durhamtown Plantation near Greensboro, GA on Saturday. My brother drives a 2010 JK, lifted and locked but stock tires. I've got a 2010 AG FJC AT, rear locker, A-Trac, OME 3" lift, TC UCA's, BFG AT KO's (285/75/17). I've had several Jeeps before and this is my first FJC.

There were several big Jeep clubs there and I was the only FJC that I saw all day. The FJ did great but its heavier weight and longer wheel base had it at a disadvantage in a couple of places. There were several FJ80's, 4-Runners, and Toyota pick-ups, some highly modified.

If I had more aggressive mud tires and a front locker I think the two places where I got stuck would have been no problem. I can't really go with more aggressive tires since I spend so much time on the highway and I don't want to deal with the vibration and or noise from them. I will definitely be installing an ARB locker in the front diff. The A-Trac does OK, but the jerky side to side power transfer actually stopped me where where my brother could lock his front axle and then just let the front tires chew on it for a few seconds and eventually they would find some bite and keep going. Like I said, he had stock highway tires but he went places that some of the modded (but open diff) trucks couldn't go.

Now back to the trail report. Fantastic place! It was a little busy with all of the Jeep clubs there, but not too bad. The trails offered some of everything from rock crawling, to hill climbs and plenty of wet, sloppy, Georgia clay.

You can choose from several trails that offer different levels of difficulty and terrain. We did trail 2 and 3 twice, trail 4 once, Ball Breaker twice (and they named it right!), Monster Moutain, hill climbs that easily maxed out the clinometer in the dash-top gauge pod.

Check them out at Welcome to Durhamtown. If any of the Atlanta FJ'ers want to get together and go, I'm all for it. It took me 9 hours to get my FJ cleaned up today, but it was worth it.

Here's a few photos from yesterday and see the rest of the photos here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=268245&id=514102226&l=1b01cccbfd

Attachments

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Very cool, Scott... had I not been nursing a killer hangover, I was going to go down to Durhamtown Saturday. Seeing your pics, I guess I might want to put the doors back on before going to check it out. It looks muddy as hell!

There are a bunch of us in the ATL area that are looking to meet up monthly and I am always willing to hit the trails.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would definitely recommend doors! I had to clean mud out of mine just from forgetting to close the window once. I heard that after a day of rain, the trails are near impossible to do alone. The mud there is very slick, so even when it's not deep, it can be challenging to go uphill or to escape from existing ruts.

The fee was $20 plus $5 for each passenger. Well worth the price of admission!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm ready to go whenever you guys are. I can get group rates and special discounts on cabins, RV space, or cabins for those that want or need to stay overnight. I work with a guy here that practically lives there and works there part time.

I also forgot to mention that my co-pilot on Saturday's trail ride was Christine Dougherty, the Taco Bell Diet girl. She's the wife of my brother's lifelong best friend. I've known them so long I didn't think to throw that tidbit in!

Taco Bell Drive-Thru Diet menu - Media Gallery

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I'm ready to go whenever you guys are. I can get group rates and special discounts on cabins, RV space, or cabins for those that want or need to stay overnight. I work with a guy here that practically lives there and works there part time.

I also forgot to mention that my co-pilot on Saturday's trail ride was Christine Dougherty, the Taco Bell Diet girl. She's the wife of my brother's lifelong best friend. I've known them so long I didn't think to throw that tidbit in!

Taco Bell Drive-Thru Diet menu - Media Gallery
Discounts are always welcome...as is your co-pilot, especially if she brings us some free food!!!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I'm at Durhamtown again this weekend. I brought my FJ and my Yamaha Grizzly, but it looks like I won't be using either. I'm going out in the morning with Mike, the owner here, to map out some new Jeep trails using his UTV's. One thing that they need here is better (much better) trail maps so I've set out on a mission to map all of the existing trails, help Durhamtown get them printed up and create downloadable gpx and kmz files. We're also going to map out the cut through trails for the EMT's for faster better emergency response. It's a good hobby project that gets me a lot of wheelin time and access to everything here, even the trails that most folks don't get to see. Should be fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts