Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our new 2012 TT and dust comes in the rear jack door and other spots. Came in almost immediately on the first ride home. An off road vehicle, or an vehicle for that matter, shouldn't have dust coming in everywhere. The wife keeps a rag in the car at all times to try to wipe the dust down constantly. :mecry: Other than that, we love it so far. :)

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Good thing you didnt go with a jeep or you'd really be upset about some dust. lol

One thing that can help with dust coming in, is making sure you keep the blower set to recirculation.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You missing any plugs? I go on 2 tracks all the time and wheel on the dunes a lot. No dust entering my FJ except for when the windows are down.

·
Banned
6,079 Posts
Like volrath said; I'd be looking for a missing plug or two. There are two big vents located behind the plastic panels aft of the rear fenders, but I'm not sure if they could be letting dust like that in. I think they're like louver flaps, I've just seen pictures of them on the forum. I wonder if the flaps are even there? Mine doesn't ever accumulate dust in the jack compartment. I think syncitizen made a good point, or good advice too; when you're on a dusty trail keep your blower on to pressurize the cabin...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Definitely check the plugs, there are a number of them on the floor of the jack compartment. Could be a missing plug. As mentioned above there is a one way air escape behind each plastic rear panel beneath the tail lights. They are soft flip panels that shouldn't be letting much dust in.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I have tons of dust because my windows are never rolled up, Freedom window is always out, and I'm tearing up super-dusty dirt roads everyday. The blowback dust into the front windows is the worst! even when I gun it to outrun it!;)

A California Duster is a lifesaver to dust the entire interior including seats. I have the small and large and "wash" my old Gto with it since its usually resting.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
There is 1 plug tucked up behind each mud flap up under the the rear bumper wings. I was messing with my rear mud flaps this weekend and one pretty much volunteered itself out on me. I couldn't tell easily where it came from so I looked at the other side to figure out where to put it back. I'd bet you lost the one on the driver side, as the jack compartment is right above there this plug came out on me.

Take a look up under there. You should see a plug (or hole) with a large flat tab, or about a 1 inch hole where youre supposed to have the plug. You should be able to use the other side for reference.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I agree with the others, no dust in my '08 unless windows are down.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
FJs have a cabin air filter. Keep your windows uup and your fan on and it will pressurize the cab and keep McNasties out. You may want to upgrade the filter to a Hepa of some sort since the stock filter is used mainly to catch squirrels and chipmunks and little else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts