Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a Gobi stealth roof rack (aka the noise maker) and needed to do something about the wind noise above 60 mph. Dynamat extreme did the trick. It took a bulk pack and about 3 hours. I also drilled a hole for roof lights and ran the wires. Wiring through the A pillar was too tight. I broke a sweat drilling the hole, you would have thought I was doing surgery on one of my kids.... Pics included (this is the first time adding pics so hopefully I won't goof it up)

The dynamat worked so well that I ordered another bulk pack ($119 plus S&H on ebay) to do the front doors and rear door. Anyone who has dynamated their doors have any tips.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Nice John. Now, how much did it deaden the sound? I know Dynamat products and have always been impressed so how noticeable was it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that I installed it, I really don't notice the roof rack wind noise above 60 mph - and it was loud... The dynamat was $$$ and I almost didn't buy it. I use the cell phone regularly for work (with blue tooth option in the door) and the wind noise was just too loud on the highway. I had to drive like a granny to keep the noise manageable. The dynamat worked so well that I ordered another bulk pack to do the doors....

·
Registered
932 Posts
After driving through a heavy thunderstorm on the interstate for the first time, I might just do that as well. At 55mph it was pretty freakin loud.

Granted, the storm was so bad that everyone else was doing 30-40mph in the right lane, some with their hazards on. Others were even pulled over on the shoulder. And if I'd been driving my old 300ZX I'd have had to do the same thing.

However, the FJ was solid as a rock on the stock BFGs. And the visibilty was great so high up, away from all that wheel spray that's kicked up by everyone else.

So +1,000 for capability and safety, but -.5 for noise level which is correctable.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What do you think the chances are of the Dynamat getting hot in the summer time and losing adhesion?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
i really need to dynamat mine, but havent had the time lately. the whole roof is flexing more than 2" in most places. the rear quarter panels and rear door are flexing too, but they dont make nearly the same noise.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
They also make a thicker version for roofs more $$$ that is suppose to work miracles.

How hard was it to remove the head liner and how many people did it take to re-install it.

Thanks and great photos.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
most of the dynamats benefits come from the weight of the material and the quality of application. definitly get a roller with rounded edges, like a 3" wide wood roller. all it really does is add mass to the body panels to reduce the resonant frequency which in turn reduces its tendency to vibrate. so go for a heavier mat. also there are many other products that are cheaper and do a better job than some dynamat. road kill from stinger is great stuff, and damplifier is a little cheaper.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Nice job and a good idea. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Nice job John and I like that bull bar with the bars on the bottom. Never saw one like that. Seems like it might be good spot to mount fog lights.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
most of the dynamats benefits come from the weight of the material and the quality of application. definitly get a roller with rounded edges, like a 3" wide wood roller. all it really does is add mass to the body panels to reduce the resonant frequency which in turn reduces its tendency to vibrate. so go for a heavier mat. also there are many other products that are cheaper and do a better job than some dynamat. road kill from stinger is great stuff, and damplifier is a little cheaper.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
John -
Great job!! This is my next project. 1 question for you...most people who have dynamtted the headliner have said that to get the headliner off you just about have to gut the entire interior. But from your pic it looks like you were able to get it out without removing much else. Can you enlighten us on how you removed it?

Thanks...:roller:

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't have side airbags? or is that what those pink things are?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Yeah I am finding this an excellent idea and an excellent thread. Thank you all very much.

I had a little Dynamat put in the rear area by my car stereo guys but since they were Al and Ed's I don't know if it was done well or not. My car is down for other work now and it's a good time to do this, so I really appreciate the info.

Questions:

1. How do we prioritize the roof, sides and floor? Where does noise come from?

2. Is it worthwhile to really go nuts on Dynamat or are we just adding more weight and expense? Put differently - if you installed it everywhere, would you be so much quieter that the effort and weight would be justified?

·
Wanderlust
4,157 Posts
1 - 20 of 92 Posts