Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
I saw your pictures - great shots of a nekid FJ! Do you have a thread about the whole stripping process? I'd sure love to have some instructions before I start busting stuff apart. :read: Did you have a shop manual, or anything? That looks like it took forever.

Looks like you're using all second skin products? Which things did you choose?

Thanks for any info. :bandit:

Most vehicles benefit from floor dampening (especially the wheel wells) the most, since this will curb road related noise.
The roof on the FJ has no dampening whatsoever, and the only buffer is the headliner, and that's why rain and wind is so loud with our vehicles.
The other areas to be addressed for the FJ are the door handles. My rig is still gutted and I'm ~75% complete with my project. (pics in my gallery here) On the freeway yesterday, the wind noise coming through the handles was loud! Other than the door handles, and the rest of the rear wheel wells, it's probably more quiet than it was in stock form. The next order after dampening is reducing airborne noise. Neoprene works well for this.
As far as weight, I will have around 100 sq. ft. of 80 mil dampening (~43lbs), and another 30 pounds of a closed cell foam and lead barrier composite, plus a bunch of neoprene which is virtually weightless, and a gallon of liquid dampening for the wheel well pockets. So will call it 85lbs total for about as much as you could do to soundproof an FJ.:roller:
Any questions, ask away.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Swamp,
Sorry, no documentation on the teardown. No manuals needed, all straight forward. The FJ is probably the easiest rig I've torn apart, lots of push clips, just grab and yank. The headliner is a cake walk, just don't bend or wreck it, ~1000. if you do. Tip for ya, bag and tag parts, makes reassembly much easier! Why do you think it's second skin?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hey, I just wanted to point out that if your Gobi was making that much noise, you probably want to look ak adjusting that front fairing. I have read where making just minor adjustment can make a huge difference. I know that personally, on mine, I do not hear it at all unless I have a strong cross wind.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey guys, You should really read this, or at least go straight to the cost/quality comparo's, and have an idea what you are buying, and why. I have been using Second Skin products for a reason. If any of you are interested in a group discount, I believe that would be very possible. Let me know.:)

Sound Deadener ShowdowSound Deadener Showdown

·
Registered
872 Posts
Great thread. Something I never would have thought of on my own.

A few questions though...
1. Anyone with curtain airbags do this? Problems associated with them? Does it void any warranty?
2. Roof speakers? Problems with taking them down?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have had no problem with the side curtain airbags, the headliner has nothing to do with them, so I forsee no warranty issues with warranty. You are only applying dampener to the bare metal roof skin.

The roof "speakers" are attached to the headliner, and share the same wiring harness as the dome lights, and the harness is attached to the liner with butyl tape and runs down the driver's side A pillar.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, isn't that your [email protected] ride featured on their website? C'mon, you're talking to FJ freaks here - we know an FJ when we see one. ;)
I don't know about the"[email protected]" part, but yes, that is my ride. :roller:

Second Skin's motto is "Overbuilt to Overperform", and they mean it. They use an extremely high quality butyl in their product line, and it is evident in the performance of the product. The best quality dampener on the market. Put it this way, they don't have huge advertising costs, if you know what I'm saying.:thinkerg:

I'm sure if we can get a few (5-10) people interested, I can usure you we would get a break on pricing on an excellent product.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Great thread. Something I never would have thought of on my own.

A few questions though...
1. Anyone with curtain airbags do this? Problems associated with them? Does it void any warranty?
2. Roof speakers? Problems with taking them down?
What raven said re: curtain airbags. They are not touched in any way during the headline removal.

As far as the roof speakers, go.. they are easily unplugged. But you may just want to leave them disconnected :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hey guys, You should really read this, or at least go straight to the cost/quality comparo's, and have an idea what you are buying, and why. I have been using Second Skin products for a reason. If any of you are interested in a group discount, I believe that would be very possible. Let me know.:)

Sound Deadener ShowdowSound Deadener Showdown
Where can you buy this stuff? Google didn't turn up any good buying locations. That showdown is interesting, but it doesn't seem to say anything about sound deadening performance. It says that secondskin sticks better than dynamat xtreme is extreme conditions but.... I really only care about the sound performance.

·
Registered
231 Posts
SSA

"Highest Quality
Second Skin's products live up to their "Over Engineered to Over Perform" motto. They are clearly a higher quality alternative to Dynamat Xtreme - designed for greater heat tolerance, with higher quality materials.
If quality is your most important requirement, Second Skin Damplifier or Damplifier Pro are the obvious choices. Dynamat Xtreme is close, but being more expensive and not as good isn't a winning combination. I congradulate Second Skin Audio for their obvious dedication to providing the best product possible."

Keep in mind, the author didn't even go with second skin.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I don't know about the"[email protected]" part, but yes, that is my ride. :roller:

Second Skin's motto is "Overbuilt to Overperform", and they mean it. They use an extremely high quality butyl in their product line, and it is evident in the performance of the product. The best quality dampener on the market. Put it this way, they don't have huge advertising costs, if you know what I'm saying.:thinkerg:

I'm sure if we can get a few (5-10) people interested, I can usure you we would get a break on pricing on an excellent product.
its pretty hard to make the best sound dampener. being an installer, i have used it all. stinger is what i prefer, it isnt messy, it isnt sticky to the point where you cant work with it, but once you stick it down thats about it, you better have meant it. and when you really lay it down with a roller, it doesnt push goop out the sides. as long as the mat is sticky and has a high mass, it is all the same. stinger is a little more rigid as well. but aside the point, go with dynamat, stinger, damplifier, second skin, etc... they are all good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
its pretty hard to make the best sound dampener. being an installer, i have used it all. stinger is what i prefer, it isnt messy, it isnt sticky to the point where you cant work with it, but once you stick it down thats about it, you better have meant it. and when you really lay it down with a roller, it doesnt push goop out the sides. as long as the mat is sticky and has a high mass, it is all the same. stinger is a little more rigid as well. but aside the point, go with dynamat, stinger, damplifier, second skin, etc... they are all good.
You like Stinger because it is also a high quality butyl product. They aren't all butyl, and they certainly aren't "all good".

·
Registered
473 Posts
P.S. count me in on the GB. Maybe like 80 S.F.? And some of that foam, too?

41 - 60 of 92 Posts