Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Along these lines I have a question, I know at certain wheel rpm's the ATRAC stops working, but I heard from a person I consider to be pretty mechanically inclined who has been building toyota offroad vehicles in his shop for 15 plus years that our rear lockers also do the same. Now I know that it wont engage unless in LL but does it actually cut out? Or is this just the way older versions of the diff locker worked on yoyota?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Along these lines I have a question, I know at certain wheel rpm's the ATRAC stops working ...
I thought the Trails Team folks said the ATRAC isn't active at very low rpm's.

·
Registered
923 Posts
As far as I can tell, the locker does not disengage at any speed, I've had vehicles maxed out in low range speed as well well above 70mph in modified ones in high range, and the locker does not turn off.. it would actually be a bit dangerous for it to do it as it would suddenly change the traction dynamics at those speeds. It will not engage however unless you are going below a certain speed (between 10-5 mph or so) - again to prevent the sudden change in traction, and you wouldn't want both axles to try and sync up and lock at fast speeds - that breaks things!

TRAC does not work well a very low speeds and may not activate, however, ATRAC will work with almost no speed, in fact I've been going zero MPH with ATRAC active and working and the tires spinning/stopping.. I just wasn't going anywhere.. :D You do need some engine RPM to spin the axles though for it to work, so there is a minimum RPM depending on your situation.

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Along these lines I have a question, I know at certain wheel rpm's the ATRAC stops working, but I heard from a person I consider to be pretty mechanically inclined who has been building toyota offroad vehicles in his shop for 15 plus years that our rear lockers also do the same. Now I know that it wont engage unless in LL but does it actually cut out? Or is this just the way older versions of the diff locker worked on yoyota?
Somewhere I was told or I read that Toyota doesn't recommend using the rear locker at speeds over 5 mph, but I hadn't seen anything to indicate that it would self-disengage at a certain speed. I think that would be self defeating at such a low speed since you may be spinning your tires faster than that with the rear locker engaged.

DEWFPO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts