Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
732 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
has anyone received their system yet? if so how was the install?
I'm still waiting on mine...oh the suspense!!!
Mine hasn't arrived yet. I'm hoping it will be soon.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Still haven't gotten mine yet either. I received an email on the 9/12 saying they had hoped it would arrive by 9/19... haven't heard anything since. I emailed them on 9/20 but haven't heard anything back yet. Hopefully its on its way soon!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We recently were advised our tracking notifications haven't been being received. If we haven't been in communication in the last 48 hours and you haven't received an update and/or tracking info please PM us!!

Thank you everyone for your patience! You receiving, installing and enjoying your kit is our TOP PRIORITY.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
We recently were advised our tracking notifications haven't been being received. If we haven't been in communication in the last 48 hours and you haven't received an update and/or tracking info please PM us!!

Thank you everyone for your patience! You receiving, installing and enjoying your kit is our TOP PRIORITY.
BOOM!!! Here she is. I will post it up tomorrow after the install...

Great packaging, BTW...

Attachments

Reactions: FJNate78

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Mine arrived today also! I won't get to put it in until at least Saturday though. Looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Mine arrived today also! I won't get to put it in until at least Saturday though. Looking forward to it!
Set aside about 4 hours. It was a long and steady haul. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Not an A plus show type system but a very nice high end OEM plus ( ha now the name makes sense) type. Two big thumbs up. 10x better than OEM! Super clean and I love how the OEM audio, blue tooth, and steering wheel functions still in tact. An even bigger plus is the stock head unit helps to keep knuckle heads out of my FJ!

Need to check with the OEM AUDIO fellas, no rear speaker grills....:surprise

I am hoping they just didn't ship considering how much we paid.

I am sure I will find out either way tomorrow.

D

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Set aside about 4 hours. It was a long and steady haul. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Not an A plus show type system but a very nice high end OEM plus ( ha now the name makes sense) type. Two big thumbs up. 10x better than OEM! Super clean and I love how the OEM audio, blue tooth, and steering wheel functions still in tact. An even bigger plus is the stock head unit helps to keep knuckle heads out of my FJ!

Need to check with the OEM AUDIO fellas, no rear speaker grills....:surprise

I am hoping they just didn't ship considering how much we paid.

I am sure I will find out either way tomorrow.

D

Thanks for the info. I'm not very electronically inclined but decided to give it a shot after I had watched the install video and it looked rather straight forward... the biggest thing that has me worried is stripping wires and connecting to the battery, thats the kind of **** I've never done. As for the speaker grills, Im pretty sure I remember them saying that if you ordered the rear speakers, the grills would be included. At this time however, I did not order the rears.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm not very electronically inclined but decided to give it a shot after I had watched the install video and it looked rather straight forward... the biggest thing that has me worried is stripping wires and connecting to the battery, thats the kind of **** I've never done. As for the speaker grills, Im pretty sure I remember them saying that if you ordered the rear speakers, the grills would be included. At this time however, I did not order the rears.
IMHO the rears make a huge difference in the sound system. I ran the system without and again with.

OEM+ emailed me back and they are sending out the grills ASAP. Bummer they weren't in the order, considering the wait. Oh well.

All I can say is, TAKE YOUR TIME. The battery part is easy once you fish the wires through the firewall. I would highly recommend running a coat hanger or other stiff wire type object through the firewall from the motor side to the inside of the cab. Then tape the ends of the yellow wires to the coat hanger and pull it back through the firewall grommet. This will save you a ton of time. The video is top notch.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
IMHO the rears make a huge difference in the sound system. I ran the system without and again with.

OEM+ emailed me back and they are sending out the grills ASAP. Bummer they weren't in the order, considering the wait. Oh well.

All I can say is, TAKE YOUR TIME. The battery part is easy once you fish the wires through the firewall. I would highly recommend running a coat hanger or other stiff wire type object through the firewall from the motor side to the inside of the cab. Then tape the ends of the yellow wires to the coat hanger and pull it back through the firewall grommet. This will save you a ton of time. The video is top notch.
Home Depot and Lowes sell short 25' steel fish tape reels that I've found to be great when wiring vehicles. Coat hanger can definitely work, but the fish tape is pretty handy for all sorts of projects.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the system, I'm likely going to order one for my BRZ.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Everything is installed and went pretty well. (love the system BTW! 10x better than the stupid 6 speaker oem Gilligan's Island bamboo radio) - to all of you audio heads out there... yes you can put together a better system for less... I bow down. BUT for those of us who want an OEM type system with relatively easy installation, that is better than the stock POS system, while keeping the head unit and functionality, to include BT, Steering Wheel, XM Radio... this is it! (very nice sub and enclosure as well)

I can't stress that you should watch the video at least once to get an idea of how to proceed. I would read through the instruction manual a few times too.

(my first harness – brown wire swap) did not have the unlocking mechanism on the connector (per video and instructions). I had to figure out how to unlock the pin via the front. (take your time) May be a 2014 design???

I also want to note that the brown wire is added to the separate harness (refer to video) and not the original one that pushed through the back of the console. ( I am sorry I already forgot the name of the harnesses, but video is very fast and I had to rewind and review several times)

Also, I would like to note regarding the two front dash tweeters. You need to keep the original oem connector (from the oem speaker) and go through the “wire pin connector swap drill” for the two. It shows in the video and in the notes that it is a simple plug and play. (not the case)

Notes for the people who ordered rear speakers. INSTALL THEM BEFORE THE SUBWOOFER!!! (also my kit did not come with the 4 10mm bolts needed to mount the bracket tot he pillars - luckily I had some laying around specifically for these types of projects)

I installed my rear speakers by prying open the upper panels and NOT taking the entire upper rear internal quarter panel off. If you pull the corner panel off it will be VERY EASY to install the speakers. If you take my route, of prying them open, it is a little bit of a pain but again, pretty easy.

If you are going to pry either side open remove the cargo net hooks/bolts and it will give you an extra several inches to work with.

1 - disassemble the rear speaker assembly unit (if not removing the panel completely). Remove connector from bracket. It makes it much easier to connect speaker to oem plug first

2 - plug oem connector into connector attached to pilllar (let speaker hang gently)

3- plug oem connector back into bracket (continue to let speaker dangle gently)

4 - bolt speaker bracket to FJ pillar (continue to let speaker dangle gently)

5 - bolt speaker back onto bracket

6 - replace old covers with new speaker grill

NOTE: If the rear internal quarter panels are removed the install should be a snap! You will not need to take these steps as access will be very easy and all you will need to do is plug the speaker into the oem pillar connector and then bolt it down.

I apologize for not taking better pictures. I only have a few for the rear speaker reference. I can't stress enough that the video is a great "how to".

I hope this helps.

D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Home Depot and Lowes sell short 25' steel fish tape reels that I've found to be great when wiring vehicles. Coat hanger can definitely work, but the fish tape is pretty handy for all sorts of projects.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the system, I'm likely going to order one for my BRZ.
I have the fish tape too, but figured a coat hanger is an easy item for people to grab and complete the build with. :clap:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Were the provided rear speakers identical to the original dashboard speakers?

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Were the provided rear speakers identical to the original dashboard speakers?
The speaker body is, but keep in mind you have to use the oem connector. You could purchase the connector and rig them to the rear somehow. I am also not certain if it is just the bracket that OEM Audio purchased and added their speaker... Either way you could easily reuse the front speakers for the rear.

I was even thinking about running them in place of the exciters and adding them somewhere in the middle of my FJ. I have to take the roof liner, for a CB installation, this weekend. I will post if I decide to replace the exciters with different speakers (4").

·
Premium Member
305 Posts

Awesome... Thanks for the info. Now is it true the rears are already wired? So if I want to add the rears its as easy as ordering them, popping the solid plastic off, hooking them up, then putting the grills on? No extra wiring to the front or anything is what Im getting at...

If I have any problems, Im going to drive all over Hillsboro looking for you @daltondrose! HAHAHA

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Awesome... Thanks for the info. Now is it true the rears are already wired? So if I want to add the rears its as easy as ordering them, popping the solid plastic off, hooking them up, then putting the grills on? No extra wiring to the front or anything is what Im getting at...

If I have any problems, Im going to drive all over Hillsboro looking for you @daltondrose! HAHAHA
Make sure you get the kit with the brackets. Other than that they do plug in. It will take about 20 -30 min for complete install for rears.

More than happy to help. We could knock it out quick. PM me.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Alright... I have been playing around with this system more. I can say that the only REAL issue is running my Iphone in BT mode. For whatever reason, and I am nitpicking here, the sound isn't always as high quality as it should be. (clearly an iphone issue).

If you really want to take advantage of the system and get EVERYTHING out of it, I can't recommend enough that you should be running some sort of EQ app along with your Iphone/bluetooth.

I am running/playing with several EQ apps now for my iphone. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

BTW I am still loving this set up.

Dalton

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Alright... I have been playing around with this system more. I can say that the only REAL issue is running my Iphone in BT mode. For whatever reason, and I am nitpicking here, the sound isn't always as high quality as it should be. (clearly an iphone issue).

If you really want to take advantage of the system and get EVERYTHING out of it, I can't recommend enough that you should be running some sort of EQ app along with your Iphone/bluetooth.

I am running/playing with several EQ apps now for my iphone. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

BTW I am still loving this set up.

Dalton
The built-in iOS EQ settings, or a separate EQ app for the iPhone that will control the BT audio? I've found BT audio to be very dependent on HU and less so on the phone. My iPhone sounds great through BT in my FJ with an AVH deck, where as it was unbearable in my Sonata and it's pretty darn good in my BRZ.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
The built-in iOS EQ settings, or a separate EQ app for the iPhone that will control the BT audio? I've found BT audio to be very dependent on HU and less so on the phone. My iPhone sounds great through BT in my FJ with an AVH deck, where as it was unbearable in my Sonata and it's pretty darn good in my BRZ.
I play some older music as well as the new stuff. The old stuff is where the EQ (iphone) helps tremendously. All I am saying is download the free app and give it a go. There are better EQ apps for the iphone too, but cost $$$. You don't know what you are missing until you try something new. (I feel like a crack dealer for crying out loud - "just try it... what can it hurt?... HA!)

21 - 40 of 53 Posts