Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I don't need the flashlight coming out of the front of the mirrors.

Instead of all the wiring, pulling off panels, drilling to put in a switch.

Could a guy just splice the heating element into the light wiring right in the mirror?

I don't need the heating element on 24/7 so...
Next, is there a way to wire a 10 minute cutoff like the rear defroster has?

I'd much rather have a heated mirror than one with a weird light coming out of the front

·
Registered
645 Posts
Wouldn't that only work when the lights are on? Or do the mirror lamps come on with the DRLs? Never checked.

You know the reason for those lights in the mirrors, right? They're too dim to light anything up. Because the FJ40 style dictated that the headlights are placed in several inches from the side of the vehicle, those lights in the mirrors are to prevent a sideswipe from someone seeing just the headlights at night and underestimating your width.

In any case, the hard part is putting the heating element in. I just wired mine to the existing rear defrost circuit. Handles the load fine, auto-shut off, and no extra switch needed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did the whole custom thing with the mirrors, heated mirrors with their own switch and timer, with turn signal chevron under glass. I had someone do it, up here in New England heated mirrors are a must….

·
Registered
645 Posts
Is there a universal kit somewhere or did you adapt something from another vehicle?
There is no kit. You have to get the heating pads from these guys: Burco | Other Products | Redi Heat Grids And they're hard to find. I got mine on eBay. Their model 3801 is smaller than the FJ mirror, but fits.

Then you just run the wires to the defrost circuit. (it's harder than it sounds since they have to run from the mirror, through the mirror structure, into the door, then into the body to connect with the defrost wire, which is in the driver's side rocker panel.)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
What kind of amperage draw does each side have?

·
Registered
7,380 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
So, I don't need the flashlight coming out of the front of the mirrors.

Instead of all the wiring, pulling off panels, drilling to put in a switch.

Could a guy just splice the heating element into the light wiring right in the mirror?

I don't need the heating element on 24/7 so...
Next, is there a way to wire a 10 minute cutoff like the rear defroster has?

I'd much rather have a heated mirror than one with a weird light coming out of the front

Don't know if you could tap off of the mirro light but this is an old mod from Swiss: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/17234-heated-mirror-full-install.html

Got this idea from Heated Rearview Mirrors Finished | IH8MUD Forum Went with the cheap and easier route using these two posts. Use your original mirror and buy the heating element off of ebay, don't know if the same guy is selling it but there should be other venders. Bought the larger element and just carefully bent the heating element corner without breaking or creasing the metal fillament to fit. Someone gave a good tip about using very hot water, not boiling, to get the mirror off of the plastic backing and that worked execellent.
I tied my heating element into the rear window defrost system as Steve_53 did. I had this mod over 6 years and it's worked great.

Aloha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts