Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to increase my front lift but when I try and do that the shock just rotates in its bushings and the reservoir line will hit the shock tower if I try to turn it any farther. I've tried putting more force on the shock to see if that would help, but driving on a curb did nothing. What would be the easiest way to increase my lift without having to take the shock off or use a spring compressor?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
First you want to relieve some of the pressure off the shock.

Jack up the vehicle and remove the wheels. You can do this one side at a time if you prefer.

Spray some WD-40 on the threads and let sink in.

Use (2) 1/4" punches to turn the collar. Available at Home Depot or similar.

It works.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First you want to relieve some of the pressure off the shock.

Jack up the vehicle and remove the wheels. You can do this one side at a time if you prefer.

Spray some WD-40 on the threads and let sink in.

Use (2) 1/4" punches to turn the collar. Available at Home Depot or similar.

It works.
Well, I adjusted it as much as possible with the tire off but it started moving. I need something that will hold the shock in place while I compress the spring more.

·
Registered
911 Posts
i also used a lot of WD-40, it might be very hard to turn at the beginning, but once you get it to move, it will move more easily.

i never got the adjusting wrench from allpro, it should have came with the shocks., but i used a hex key, i tried using a punch but it didn't went well.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i also used a lot of WD-40, it might be very hard to turn at the beginning, but once you get it to move, it will move more easily.

i never got the adjusting wrench from allpro, it should have came with the shocks., but i used a hex key, i tried using a punch but it didn't went well.
Yea, I've tried WD40 and whatnot, with no luck. Did your shocks move when you started adjusting them?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yea, I've tried WD40 and whatnot, with no luck. Did your shocks move when you started adjusting them?
After a couple of tries they did, you need to soak the whole shock, and specially the thread and the bottom part where it turns.

once you get it to move just a little bit, then you're good to go

I forgot a very important thing, you need to separate the UCA from the spindle, otherwise you will not have enough space to turn the thread

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think what he means is the whole shock is turning on the bushing mounts, which is causing the res line to hit <-- this portion being his concern.

Jack it up and remove the tire as stated above, then you will either need to brace the shock body with your hand (or someone elses... and use a glove), or use a rubber strap wrench (Like this... Harbor Freight, Northern tool, etc sell them too) to hold the shock body. We use those on our race car's and bike's coilovers to adjust... they wont mar the thread surface, and work alright when we dont have another set of hands or a coil compressor. They break often, so buy a few... they're cheap! :) If you cant get the strap around the body (coil too high), you can strap around the shock head, just be careful of the res line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts