Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MKJeeper is putting together an interesting run on the 8th of August. It should be a fun one! Here are the details:

Open it up to anyone. A stock FJ should do fine, but there are a couple moderate challenge spots.

EAST BIG BEAR MINNING TOUR.
Rated - MODERATE.
Date - Sat August 8th - All Day run.
Meet at Big Bear Discovery Center (discovery center, - Google Maps)
9:00 a.m. Leave at 9:15
Be sure to bring a lunch.
CB Channel 25

Itinerary:

We'll be checking out some of the minning sites from the boom days when east Big Bear was a very popular minning area. There is still remnants of some buildings and plenty of mines to explore. Many are blocked off by the Forest Service, but a couple are still open to enter. Bring a flashlight.

We'll start at 3N03 Cactus Flats staging area off of Hwy 18, then to 3N03 to Horsethief Flats
(a moderate 4x trail). Up to Tip Top Mt. silver mine for a panoramic view of the So Cal desert (7600ft), then to the Rose Mine area. From there down to Heartbreak Ridge trail 2N61Y (also a moderate 4x trail) There are a couple of mines in this area.

We'll check out and Arrastre and spring in Round Valley, then on up to Juniper Springs, where there is a natural pond and an old miners cabin. (moderate 4x trail). Then on up to Onxy summit and Hwy 38. We may have time to do Lightning Ridge. Going up to a 9300ft peak and giant ancient Juniper forest, with an overlook of the city of Big Bear.

ssc:
Rails and armor never hurt, but not mandatory. A stock rig can do these these trails, so long as the driver has basic wheeling skills--the skinny pedal is not your friend. Good tire placement and slow to go.

MKJeeper said:
Well I did the pre-run today. The trails are great - now I can't wait to do the whole run. I did Heartbreak in 2wd in the down hill direction, so this trail is good. It was my first trip on Horsethief. this is an awesome trail, VERY scenic. It has one rough spot (pictured), but nothing major. It's steep but no problems going up it.

I think all in all we'll have a fun, full day of 4 wheelin. Part of the run will be graded dirt, but the rest are 4x trails. So come prepared for that.

Items to bring:
WATER (plenty)
Sun block
Flashlight
Air pump for tires. Harbor Frieght has a $50 pump that looks just like the Viair 300. (if your on a budget)
Camera

A few lead-in pix.
MK

One of 2 Arrastre's

Mine site

Cool 60 degree mine

Dirt from the Rose Mine

Horsethief Flats

Hill climb out of Horsthief Flats.

Looking down

Who's going
  1. MKJeeper
  2. Fjamming
  3. H535
  4. H535 (Jeep friend)
  5. H535 (Jeep friend)
  6. thugasaur
  7. underactive
  8. Bigdouggiedoug
  9. FJD08SE
  10. KingCong
  11. 5Greens
  12. XTRMBLK
  13. Volhoo
  14. "Papa" Pooh Bear
  15. Blown383
  16. centralcalFJ
  17. CRUISER-DUDE
  18. lonelydriver
  19. JESUSGARD
  20. BIFF
  21. dead_prez
  22. unknownuserx
  23. SoCalBob
I know there are lots of "maybes", but I'm only making the list for confirmed. Let me know when you're sure!

Mike is going to make a prerun soon so I'll update the post with car prep requirements.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sounds fun. I might be able to make this. :rocker: Wrigman...think you can make it?

·
Registered
215 Posts
My family would have a great time with this.

Just how stock friendly is this trail? I don't have any armor except for rock rails and I'm not sure if I'll have time to install my lift by then.

Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
My family would have a great time with this.

Just how stock friendly is this trail? I don't have any armor except for rock rails and I'm not sure if I'll have time to install my lift by then.

Thanks
There is only one section on Heartbreak that will need some spotting. The rest is good for a stock 4x4.
mk

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Definitely interested. I'll have a better idea if I can make it closer to the date.

Question about meeting loc.. I just googled "Big Bear Discovery Center" and it shows it as just off Hwy 38. It shows a Visitors Center off Hwy 18. Never been up those parts before so I'd want to make sure I'd show up at the right place. :)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
296 Posts
There will be a group of Vegas FJs in Big Bear that weekend. If you don't mind, can we tag along? I don't know how many of us will be there but I should know in a few days.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There will be a group of Vegas FJs in Big Bear that weekend. If you don't mind, can we tag along? I don't know how many of us will be there but I should know in a few days.
You're welcome to join us. I'll be giving a little of the history of the area as we progress the trails.

Sorry for the late responces, but I have VBS this week - getting home after 9

MK

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone is welcomed to join. This should be a fun one. :) Lots of new trails-to me.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hoping to make this one!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll start the first post with the name list once it gets a bit closer or when we have some definites.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts