Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got one of those "Jet Boil" stoves & the "Flash" model has a coffee press accessory- makes a little less than a liter if you don't let the water go to a boil- which is easy as there is a 'color change' sensor built into the neoprene insulator (which stays on the pot when it's heating) sleeve. The Jet Boil stove heats Very quickly, and packs up into it's own 'pot' including one of the smaller propane canisters as it's made for backpackers, all in all a well designed unit and the coffee press works great- a couple of minutes is about all it takes! I also picked up a GSI (?) small one liter 'teapot'- if you get one of the big mouth thermoses you can put a small amount of rice, or vegetables in them with boiling water and VERY LOOSELY put on the lid, and few hours later everything will cook, takes some experimenting to get the water to food quantities right depending on what food, size of thermos etc. But it's a neat trick- do it in the morning or at lunch & it'll be ready for later!
Cost (on SALE at REI co-op) Jet Boil 'Flash': $ 70, Coffee Press Accessory: $ 14, Fuel Canister: Jet Boil w/canister disposal 'tool' $10 (tool is re-usable-basically a 'can opener'), Fuel without the tool $ 5, GSI 'teapot if you want to do "thermos cooking" (includes a 'cup' thing) $35. Jet Boil's have a great rep., and can be used w/frying pans etc. Fuel canister with moderate use lasts about one weekend. The "Flash" model is I think the only one that works with the coffee press. The whole 'package' I bought was about $ 130 with two fuel canisters (small size).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well a little correction to the time here: About 2 minutes till the water heats up till just under boiling (which is correct for good coffee), THEN throw the coffee grounds in the pot, Then about 3 minutes for the water to dissolve (?) the coffee, Then you push down on the coffee press plunger. The Jet Boil lives up to it's name- this is a Fast little stove! Lord knows why it doesn't set the neoprene 'sleeve' on fire, but it doesn't. Not bad for the price, as long as it's on sale!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have two of the older JetBoils and they are great. I have the frying pan and cooking pot and use them both instead of a two burner stove, when I actually decide to cook. ;-) Since I'm mostly out for photography and the best light is in the morning and evening I usually just boil water for quick stuff like Annie Chun's noodle bowls and on cold mornings instant coffee.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Man I'm old school-
Have a dual burner Colman propane 'stove" and one of these with matching cups! Had 'em for 20+ years--Maybe time for an upgrade!

Coleman 14-Cup Percolator

I think I paid 4 bucks for it new!
I got my first Coleman stove probably in the late 60's early 70's (I lived in Wichita then) and have had numerous versions since - still have one or two in my garage I expect. ;-)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
we had a big "coffee conversation here a few weeks ago and I was blown away at the number of new devices to get perfect coffee on the trail! Heading out next week with my $5 percolator, coleman stove and the Starbucks brekfast grind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts