Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW, Easy DIY Mirror light mod! by La Trail Teams 10

ok i know there is a few mods out there for mirror lights but i just wanted to do one that requires absolutely no cutting. just some pushing and screwing.

so, here is my easy peasy DIY mirror light mod by removing the defuser lens!

sorry about the pics i don't have a good camera so this is from my phone!

First, you need only basic tools and the knowledge to use them:

a long flathead screwdriver(longer than 6")
a philips head screwdriver (normal size)
a single wood screw (at least 3")
needle nose pliers
beer. :cheers:

In the middle of editing the post, ill post pictures tonight!

push the bottom of the mirror back until it stops.

grab the flat head screwdriver and sick it between the mirror and the black backing base from the bottom of the mirror.

your gonna have to pry it up lightly from the bottom and the outer side, by sticking the driver between the mirror and the corner tabs...

Once its loose from the bottom clamps pull the bottom out and then slide down.

once its off just set it to the side

grab the gray connector and turn it (down i think) and pull it out.

the defuser lens is blueish on one side and mirror like on the other

any who this is what it looks like inside the lens...

take the flat head and push on the defuser some to pop it off. take the wood screw and the philips screw driver and screw into the defuser. then pull the screw and lens out. the screw driver may come out of the lens, no worry just re-screw or use the pliers. once you get ahold of the lens twist a few times and pull with the pliers at the sane time until you pull the lens out(its much easier than it sounds).

now to re assemble!

now take the gray connector and put your bulb in! i put piaa wedge bulbs back in it but the multi led wedge bulbs are very bright and work well too.

Now slide the top of the mirror back into the retaining clips and push the clips on the other 3 sides down until they click.

now you have brighter mirror lights!!!

here are some more pics:
stock::

aftermarket:

here is with the stock and modded light in

here are both the lights

and both the lights at night

with my 6k hid kit and the lights

with the lens

without the lens

:cheers:

THANKS FOR READING!!

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Good job and thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! i saw a few ideas on the forum and just decided to do an actual DIY and compile some pics for everyone to see.

·
Premium Member
12,204 Posts
Well done, makes me kinda wish I had these lights so I could mod them.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Good job, nice and easy!

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Very good how-to Erick. Lots of pics, clear instructions, very detailed.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
i hope it helps!
thanks!
It'll help me to finally get that burnt bulb replaced! Thanks! That is the best pic yet on the procedure.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
825 Posts
is it the same 194 size bulb in there?

I'm thinking of putting 194 Amber Oznium, not really after bright light but want it to be matching to amber/orange park lights.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Has anyone installed an on/off switch for the running lights? If they are too bright you could get some grief from the police in some states. On on off switch would be cool.

·
A-Team Moderator
10,302 Posts
ON/OFF Switched Spot Lights

Has anyone installed an on/off switch for the running lights? If they are too bright you could get some grief from the police in some states. On on off switch would be cool.
I was thinking the same, but somewhere along the lines of these type of lights.... but I'm not too keen on the little pc cooling fans and their weather resistant capabilities.

Great write up OP! Thx! :cheers:

:smoker:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The Piaa 004xt's (55w) fit in the mirror housings nicely.
They are sealed and come with a wiring harness,on/off switch relay etc.
You need to be a little creative mounting them but it's worth it in the end if you're looking for a high powered offroad light.
I pull my mirror's in and turn them on when night wheeling/camping and they light the side's of the trail up incredibly well.
Just don't forget to turn them off when you're back on the road or you will get pulled over.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the lights off eBay, ill try and find some and post here. As far as legal they are perfectly fine as far as I know here in Louisiana... then again all the police know me around here so they probably wouldn't say much but ill ask around for Yall!

All the bulb is is a large wedge if I remember correctly but its PIAA,

OPP just found it it is a PIAA xtreme white w2 921 or 912 bulb

The eBay seller I got it from was racingimporter

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I did this a couple of months ago with ambers I bought from Ozonium, I believe, and already the passenger light is out.

Any clues? Anyone else have this happen prematurely?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright so ran into a buddy of mine who is a trooper, he said they are legal as long as they arnt like spot lights. The lights are much brighter but not too bright. It's more of a running light so its okay.

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide App

1 - 20 of 134 Posts