Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy of mine is running the wildflower triathlon at lake san antonio this weekend and i was thinking of hitting some of the easy coastal trails on the way down.

let me know if you're interested in joining. i am thinking about running old coast road, prewitt ridge, and /or south coast ridge; a combination of all or some beginning on saturday late morning.

if you want to continue down to the "woodstock of triathlons," we may have a few spots left at the campsite. i'm camping on saturday night and the triathlon is sunday.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
a buddy of mine is running the wildflower triathlon at lake san antonio this weekend and i was thinking of hitting some of the easy coastal trails on the way down.

let me know if you're interested in joining. i am thinking about running old coast road, prewitt ridge, and /or south coast ridge; a combination of all or some beginning on saturday late morning.

Totally missed this post. So, how did it go on your run. Any pics?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I missed it also,we just did that run last month. It actually had some awsome views with some great camping sites... the pic of the tent is not mine but what a spot!!! I took a crappy pic ,but on the other side of the ridge is nothing but the view of pacific a the fog layer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
you know with these pics I think it looks like alot of fun to do some trails and get some fun camping in !! Maybe we should look into getting a trail run started for this soon...
What does everyone think????????????

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would definatley be up!! although I could get there in my 325,there were some roads we did not explore...

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
you know with these pics I think it looks like alot of fun to do some trails and get some fun camping in !! Maybe we should look into getting a trail run started for this soon...
What does everyone think????????????
After going to Bodie-Mono Lake & Mammoth, with Potatomutato, BZWires & MyFunFJ last year, I'm definitely up for another trail run. Just waiting for the right time and place.

Going to miss the rescheduled Big Bear Trail Teams event this weekend and missed going to Death Valley a couple of times already. SVRA's bore me, so I'll be looking out for another trail run (especially one where I can book a motel and eat at a restaurant nearby, even though I've got the camping gear). ;)

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I missed it also,we just did that run last month. It actually had some awsome views with some great camping sites... the pic of the tent is not mine but what a spot!!! I took a crappy pic ,but on the other side of the ridge is nothing but the view of pacific a the fog layer.
Please tell me that you were being sarcastic when you wrote "...but on the other side of the ridge is nothing but the view of pacific a the fog layer..."
Highway 1 and the Pacific Coast. Wow. This area is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

M

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
In Feb (the wet month) we did old Coast road, south coast road and was going to do North ridge road but it was closed due to being wet. Didnt do Prewitt road just drove past the intersection.

We spent 4+ hours at San Martin top (by south coast road - willow creek road) to wait for the sunset.. That is probably the coolest camping spot ever..

If you didnt feel like camping this is totally doable as a day trip from the bay area..

·
Registered
365 Posts
I love the old coast road... it's the best views of the pacific coast you can get around here (in Monterey)...if you want to wheel here, you have to head northeast to Hollister, or Southwest to Clear Creek (well, you used to ... EPA just shut it down again... possibly forever, due to Asbestos)...

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Hey Rob,

I'm interested in finding out more about those camp sites. Whether they can be reserved etc. Any info? Name, specific location etc?
thanks,

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Rob,

I'm interested in finding out more about those camp sites. Whether they can be reserved etc. Any info? Name, specific location etc?
thanks,
my guess is that it's either alms ridge or prewitt ridge. i believe all the campsites along these trails are first come first serve. i'll call los padres to confirm.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
my guess is that it's either alms ridge or prewitt ridge. i believe all the campsites along these trails are first come first serve. i'll call los padres to confirm.
Thanks Steve. I'm also trying to plan an August campout for a bunch of non-wheelers. Anyone know if there is cell reception in that area?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Thanks Steve. I'm also trying to plan an August campout for a bunch of non-wheelers. Anyone know if there is cell reception in that area?
I dont think so, it was spotty on highway 1 already.

We have AT&T and T-mobile, I dont know if you will have more luck with Verizon or not..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey Rob,

thanks,
Steve,

first come first serve,the turn off hwy 1 is 17 miles from Monterey and about 2 from the Bixby bridge. It is trail 51 (Old Coast) and 52 (Prewitt Ridge) in the Charels Wells book "California Backroads & 4-wheel drive trails.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I dont think so, it was spotty on highway 1 already.

We have AT&T and T-mobile, I dont know if you will have more luck with Verizon or not..
We have Verizon and were getting reception . We actually made a few conference calls from were we had lunch...after mile marker 51 is were we started loosing it..

·
Registered
611 Posts
Just checked out Coast Rd a couple days ago:

Maybe 1/2 mile from the beginning of Coast Rd:

Next to some redwoods:

More shade:

Bixby Bridge:

Weather was perfect:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wow Cool Pics TuRD!!

MAtato and I have been talking about a camping trip up there!! Those pics make me want go up there even more!!
Do they allow camping there? Seems most of the property was owned by El Sur Ranch as indicated by all of the No Tresspassing signs. I believe there's an area towards the north end of Coast Rd. that is not owned by El Sur Ranch... is that where folks camp?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts