Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of us are getting together this Saturday just to roam around on the Switzerland Trail (or something else close to Boulder) for a few hours in the morning.

One of us will have stock tires. So, we won't be getting into anything crazy....mainly just another chance to get out there, meet others and play in the snow a bit....you know.

I can usually meet earlier than most everyone else. So, suggest a time. I don't have all day on this one.....probably need to start my journey back to town by about 1:00.

Meeting time: 8:00AM
Meeting place: Boulder Home Depot (SW corner)
CB Channel: 7/alt4

Who's In
OCR14a
Madman#1
RobPolak
DoubleE

p.s. I know I'm going to sound like a broken record always going up to the ST, but it's close for me, and as we get deeper into the snow-covered portion of the season, it's what we have to work with for the most part. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
185 Posts
....One of us will have stock tires....
Assuming your talking about me on this one since I'm sure you've upgraded. But I'm not running stock tires. Previous owner put a brand new set of BFG AT/KO's on it a couple weeks before I bought. Just don't have a lift, and running "stock" size. Haven't had any troubles yet though. :rofl:

I've only had the FJ for a week but this sounds cool. New stock FJs allowed?
Shouldn't be any issues. ST is pretty mild as long as the snow doesn't get to crazy. With the exception of tires, mine is stock so far, so you should be fine.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
possibly....ill fwd to rest of the club
Cool. Thanks, Rob. Hope you can get up early enough. :)
...and sure thing, come on out CU gang (FJCs, other Toyotas, Jeeps, whatever...just must have 4WD is all). :rocker:

I would be up for going if I didn't have to work all day :boohoo:
bummer....oh well, we'll be doing this a lot in the coming weeks and months. So, we'll get together again some day.

I've only had the FJ for a week but this sounds cool. New stock FJs allowed?
Totally. As Madman said, the ST is a mild trail. The only thing that makes it difficult at times is the depth of snow. I've already found it too deep for the party we were with (and the amount of time we had up there to work with) to get through on the Western end of the Southern section this winter. However, we've had both warm days of melting and more snow fall since then. So, I have no idea what it's like.

We will go with the lowest common denominator approach....if we all can (and want to) get through in the time we have up there, we'll do it. Otherwise, we'll turn back. It'll still be fun either way.

Assuming your talking about me on this one since I'm sure you've upgraded. But I'm not running stock tires. Previous owner put a brand new set of BFG AT/KO's on it a couple weeks before I bought. Just don't have a lift, and running "stock" size...
Doh! :p
Actually, the BFG AT T/A KO tires (size 265/70/17 I think) are stock tires. Not all version/package levels have them, but some do (like the TTSE and/or TRD version....they were standard on the 2008 Iceberg White Trail Teams Special Edition anyway) ...and in the snow, they can sometimes be a bit more like skis than tires (except for the part where you can't steer them as well as skis) :lol:

No prob though....we made it through some crazy stuff while we had them on Sandi....we just had to play follow-the-leader, cause there was no way we were gonna be the one cutting trail like some of these guys we've been with up there.

Bump, you shouldn't have any issues, let someone else break trail :lol:
Indeed....and these days, that's me. Of course, everyone else is welcome to give it a try....we'll have plenty of other rigs and straps, etc to be able to pull you out....in fact, that's exactly how we do it sometimes....just go till we need to get pulled backward, and go at it again....it all depends on how much time we all have on the given snow run.

Whatever we get into, it'll be cool to see you guys out there tomorrow, and looking forward to meeting some new folks (and one that I've known elsewhere, but now it will be a new thing in the FJC world).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Soooooo.....meet up at 8 at Home depot? I can even go earlier if y'all want to. Nice call on the KO's. I was referring more to the fact mine weren't stock because I don't have a TT or TRD. :lol: I noticed when we were playing the other day in my buddy's, that the aren't the greatest in deep snow, and I imagine probably not in mud either....so we'll see!!! Guess I've always got 4-Lo!! :rofl:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soooooo.....meet up at 8 at Home depot? I can even go earlier if y'all want to. Nice call on the KO's. I was referring more to the fact mine weren't stock because I don't have a TT or TRD. :lol: I noticed when we were playing the other day in my buddy's, that the aren't the greatest in deep snow, and I imagine probably not in mud either....so we'll see!!! Guess I've always got 4-Lo!! :rofl:
OK, cool.
8 @ HD (I'll update the OP in case anyone looks there).

Oh, and don't get me wrong about the KOs. I have used them for many years (years before ever getting the FJC), and they are great for what they are (kind of a medium-goodness in both on-road and off-road worlds...which makes them kind of the best of both worlds in a sense).

It's just that, after having something in the class of these Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tires, I now know what everyone always meant about my BFG KOs when they had something better and I was still running those.

I'll see you (and whomever else) at the Boulder Home Depot at 8:00 tomorrow morning. :bigthumb:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
185 Posts
....we'll have plenty of other rigs and straps, etc to be able to pull you out....
I just bought the remaining stuff I'd hoped to this afternoon! :clap: I have a nice new ARB strap that I'd like to see what all the hype is about, and...I bought a Bulldog shackle reciever, so I'll be able to kinda show what you what I was talking about in our other recovery thread. Like I said, I'm no expert, and I'm new to offroading. However, I am a farm-boy from Iowa, and I know what I looked for in gear when we were pulling with the tractors and what-not! :jester: .......I miss Tractor Supply Company (TSC)!! :rofl: These offroad shops sell a lot of the same gear, but for way more $$$. My hats off to High Country 4x4 though! :clap: Very happy with what I got for the prices, and the guy let me pick his brain for like 30 minutes about suspension, lifts, offroading, EVERYTHING!

Oh, and don't get me wrong about the KOs...
No offense taken!!! From what I've seen, these ride nice and quiet, and they do great on DRY trails.....but not so much when you pack the treads with snow, mud, clay, or anything else sticky! But, hey, they're still new, and when they wear out.....well then's when I'll lift it, and upgrade to 33" Toyo Open Country M/T's, BFG M/T's, or Goodyear DuraTrec's..... I really like the look and capability of FJC Boulder's Rig with the Toytec coilovers and DuraTrec's!! :bigthumb:

Can't wait to meet some more FJ people. All of them I've met kick a$$!!!
See you guys in the am!! :wave:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just bought the remaining stuff I'd hoped to this afternoon! :clap: I have a nice new ARB strap that I'd like to see what all the hype is about, and...I bought a Bulldog shackle reciever, so I'll be able to kinda show what you what I was talking about in our other recovery thread. Like I said, I'm no expert, and I'm new to offroading. However, I am a farm-boy from Iowa, and I know what I looked for in gear when we were pulling with the tractors and what-not! :jester: .......I miss Tractor Supply Company (TSC)!! :rofl: These offroad shops sell a lot of the same gear, but for way more $$$. My hats off to High Country 4x4 though! :clap: Very happy with what I got for the prices, and the guy let me pick his brain for like 30 minutes about suspension, lifts, offroading, EVERYTHING!
Nice....thanks for sharing your findings.

I got your voice msg (sorry, wasn't able to call back) and a PM from DoubleE.
So, it'll be Madman#1, RobPolak, DoubleE and me.

If anyone else wants to join in, we'll probably be heading out from the Home Depot around 8:20 or so.

See you guys in a couple hours :bigthumb:

·
Registered
287 Posts
..... I really like the look and capability of FJC Boulder's Rig with the Toytec coilovers and DuraTrec's!! :bigthumb:
Thanks Madman, that's one thing I really like about the FJC's is that there is a lot available out there in the aftermarket world to customize your rig.

Well you guys just might get a chance to do a lot of recovery practice. After work I needed to blow off some steam so I was originally going to go to Lefthand Canyon for some wheeling but decided to hit the ST instead because it was closer. Well bad mistake, I should have chosen rock and dirt over the snow covered trail. I went in the ST on the west end off of Peak to Peak. I wasn't factoring this in but because of the recent warmer weather the snow is settling and getting more packed in along with being wet and heavy. Needless to say I high centered myself on a snow drift I thought I would easily cruise through. It took me about 4 hours to get myself out, yes not smart seeing I was by myself. One step at a time to try and get the rig dislodged and it wasn't budging. The snow was really setting up underneath the rig. The end result: dig out around the vehicle as best as possible, especially in rear(did have shovel with me); jack up the rig to place a big rock under each wheel. Trying to get the rig to budge took multiple try's, finally I got the rig moving well enough I aggressively rocked myself the hell out of there (something like 4 hours later).

Lesson learned, I'm just glad I didn't have to walk back down the trail to one of the local houses at dinner time and ask if they could pull me out(all though I do have the recovery gear in the rig if someone had to pull me out). Well if you guys make it to the west end of ST you will definitely see my divits in the snow where I was stuck, it's pretty obvious :lol:.

Have a good time and I'm looking forward to hearing the stories :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
sooo today was fun, nice meetin nick & eric....and that white van was 100% a speed trap...did some research, lucky me.....pics will be up later on the website

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks Madman, that's one thing I really like about the FJC's is that there is a lot available out there in the aftermarket world to customize your rig.

Well you guys just might get a chance to do a lot of recovery practice....
Oh we did!! :rofl: The orange ARB Snatch strap is AWESOME!!! Worked out great, plus we had oodles of shackles to work with too. I love the fact that the FJC comes with so many factory recovery points! Without OCR14a's setup cutting the way for the rest of us, I don't think the other three of us would have made it. Those Mickey Thompson's owned the snow!! :rocker: Even when he did get it stuck, it just took a little tug to get it out. Sooo Much Fun!!!

sooo today was fun, nice meetin nick & eric....and that white van was 100% a speed trap...did some research, lucky me.....pics will be up later on the website
Well, if you see any of the three of us up there, give a shout! :lol: I'm still a little bummed that that tree "signed" my right rear C-Pillar, and about the strap getting torn on my skid plate, but totally stoked we made it through all that stuff!! :clap: Can't wait to see you guys' videos and pics! After watching Double E plow through, I'm wondering if there may be some truth to the manual FJC's being a little more capable offroad. I wondered after watching FJC Boulder the first time we went up.....then again, maybe it was just their mad driving skills!! :rocker:

Thanks again, guys, and if you're heading up again, give a shout!!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think there's some confusion about which website and which photos are being referred to. Oh, and 'it' couldn't have gotten all of us, because I wasn't doing that then. :)

Anyway, great time, guys. It was nice to meet you, DoubleE, and to see you again, Madman now that you're in the FJC family. :cheers:

So, Rob, I guess this was another CU event (all of us being from there in one capacity or another). :bigthumb:

Sometime this season, we'll get up there with a winch or two in the mix, and then we'll be able to get all the way through from one end to the other, but what we were able to do today was still really fun.

For those interested, we started out at the far West end of the Southern section of the Switzerland Trail HERE

We went East from there till we got to HERE. There was so much snow East of this point, that it was clear we weren't going that way without a winch.

Then we exited the ST, and took off on one of the Forest Roads to the South and took a right turn HERE.

We went through this area and got back to the ST HERE.

At this point, we went back East a ways on the ST to get DoubleE to his rig (dropped it off and rode with me for a bit), and then headed back West out the way we came in.

We got lots of recovery practice in out there today. I bashed as far as I could, Madman pulled me back and I went again....till I got through, and then they came through in my tracks. We pulled each other one in one direction or another quite a few times to get everyone through, and it was a blast!

Thanks again, guys. I'm looking forward to the next time out there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts