Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing my new JBA exhaust today and used FJ cruiser forums to guide me along. I noticed that a lot of people used a saw to cut off the stock exhaust because the bolts at the rear of the muffler are a pain to unscrew. I played around with a couple angles and found an easy way to unscrew the bolts using a long torque wrench and 2 inch extension. I could then get enough leverage by going in through the opening above the rear axle. Both bolts should be accessible this way.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
While yes this works, i broke a socket and rounded all of the nut after having soaked it in PB lube and WD-40 when that didn't work. For me, i could reach them perfectly, the just were not moving for anything and i had no choice but to cut it out. I didn't really care since it was going to be recycled anyways.

·
Registered
393 Posts
audibahn,

FYI, it's not good practice to use a torque wrench to loosen fasteners. Doing so can throw the calibration off. More than likely, no harm was done, but repeated use this way would definitely be damaging. I don't remember where I learned that tip. It might have been in the user info. that came with mine. I don't think it's just folklore.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can't stress enough about using a Nut Lube (can't remember the exact name, but they sell at pep boys).. wd-40 will work as well. Use a ton on all the bolts and wait about an hour or 2! all exhaust bolts feels like they're permanently welded. trust me on this.. you guys will save a lot of headaches. You can't just spray and try to unbolt right away, you have to wait! sometimes i lightly tap on the bolt, after spraying to make sure it seeps in..

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
But it's more fun cutting stuff up!:jester::rocker:

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
CRC's Freeze-Off is another great idea. It's probably liquid nitrogen.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Something I use religiously is called "PB Buster." Its a penetrating oil that works magic. If its really stuck, I leave it on over night, otherwise like 15 minutes is just fine.
Doubtless very similar to "PB Blaster". :) It does work well though.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
audibahn,

FYI, it's not good practice to use a torque wrench to loosen fasteners. Doing so can throw the calibration off. More than likely, no harm was done, but repeated use this way would definitely be damaging. I don't remember where I learned that tip. It might have been in the user info. that came with mine. I don't think it's just folklore.
X2, and I'd use a 6 point socket on busting anything rusted loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts