Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EasyStreet's Titanium FJ Buildup and Travel Log

This page is about the family FJ for Trips, Trails, and Adventures.

Panhard Correction Bracket Install Page 7 Post 61 (posted 5/28/2019)

Lift Install Page 5 Post 47 (posted 6/13/2018)

Winch Install Page 4 Post 33 (posted 6/29/17)

Bed Instructions bottom of post 4 (posted 10/29/2011)

Table of Contents

Intro --------------------------------Page 1 Post 1 (Your Here)
Stock Off Roading Pictures --------Page 1 Post 2
FJ Bedding Setup ------------------Page 1 Post 3 Inside FJ Post 4 Instructions Added To Bottom Of Post 4
China Wall Off Road ---------------Page 2 Post 15
San Juan Trip July 2011 -----------Page 2 Post 18
Roof Box Mount Bar ---------------Page 3 Post 23
Trips in 2016 Photos ---------------Page 3 Post 30 onto Page 4
Winch Install -----------------------Page 4 Post 33
Red Cone 2017 --------------------Page 4 Post 38
Lift Install --------------------------Page 5 Post 47

This is the build thread of my currently largely stock 2007 Titanium Silver FJ Cruiser 4x4 with Auto Transmission, A-TRAC, and Rear Locker. This is a great vehicle. Yes it has a couple downsides, the visibility is not optimum, you have to take your set belt off to let someone in the backseat, and the fuel mileage is mediocre but the benefits far outweigh these small issues. The versatility is great for in town day to day activities (Wife DDs it) and it has amazing off road capabilities while still performing civilized on city roads and highways. Toyota you did an amazing job in the engineering of this vehicle. We love getting out in the world with it and exploring.

Current Modifications

- Light Force Striker 170 off road lights on front bumper
- Rear bedding system
- Roof rack drop bar for Thule Box
- Quick Fist rack axe and shovel mount
- Firestone Destination AT tires, stock size
- Smittybilt 9.5XRC Winch with Synthetic Line
- Cobra 75WXT CB Radio
- Passenger Armrest
- Bilstein 5100 with Toytec Springs lift + SPC UCAs
- PCK by eimkeith (Panhard Correction Kit)

Here are my current plans.

- Hi Lift Mount
- 12 volt rear outlet
- 285/70s or 255/80s not sure yet
- Skid Plates with more rigidity

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My FJ Sleeping Solution

I know there have been many threads and discussions on sleeping in the back of the FJ but here is my solution. I wanted to keep it modular, cheap, easy to build, simple to use, and maximize room as well as keep a classy upscale look. I also wanted to maintain a rear seat because I do sometimes have people back there.

Here is the main cargo platform.

Here's what the forward platforms look like.

Here is how both forward platforms fit inside each other to maximize room.

Now this is how both pieces fit underneath the cargo area platform.

Here is the Coleman SUV Air Mattress I purchased to go on top. I chose this mattress because its a couple inches wider than a twin and without the pillow inflated it fits really well in the back of the FJ.

Pictures of everything actually in the FJ are coming later this week. It is just currently snowing and dark out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Rear bedding system part 2

So here it is inside the FJ in normal mode. Looks pretty good in my opinon.

Here is how it goes together, really quick and easy.

The forward platforms come out.

They get seperated.

Seats go down, and forward platforms go in place.

There is still just enough headroom to sit inside without the mattress.

In goes the Coleman SUV air mattress. If you dont inflate the pillow and keep it folded underneath it fits quite nicely.

This is how we managed to keep as much room as possible between the bed and the ceiling of the FJ but also gain the length required for both me (6ft) and her (5ft 10in) to be able to sleep comfortably.

As you can see I made sure the platfroms were just high enough to bring the mattress up to level with the folded down seats. Then by pushing the drivers and passengers seats all the way forward and placing our gear in the empty area to support our pillows we have plenty of room to be able to stretch out our bodies. And before you ask, no a Vera Bradley bag and a Pink blanket are not part of our normal gear. :lol:

And here is everything all packed up with our gear which Im planning on packing inside the ActionPackers. Things will change I would like to fit a bigger cooler as well as get a cargo net to hold everything down for wheeling but you get the idea.

Rear bedding system part 3 added (10/29/2011)

Many of you have inquired about some sort of drawing for my bed setup. I FINALLY got some drawn up. They are fairly crude but you should be able to get the real information and measurements here. I also wanted to comment that I cut the majority of the large pieces on the table saw and then used a jig saw for a few of the tight curved areas. I used wood glue as well as small nails to hold the parts together for very strong construction. I used a nail gun to apply the nails but a hammer would work as well. Carpeting of course is optional.

A Generic Materials List: Only cost me about $50 but I had glue and nails at home.

1ea 1/2in thick sheet plywood
1ea bottle wood glue
1ea box of small nails
3ea 1 1/2 x 3/4 x 12 boards (you know those small cheap sticks they sell, not sure the name, try to find straight ones)

For Carpet:
6ft x 10ft of that indoor outdoor carpet they cut off the big roll at the store
1 of the small plastic cans of carpet adhesive
Couple boxes of staples for a staple gun

Ok here are the drawings. If you have any questions PM me I'd be happy to assist in any way I can.

Rear Portion

Forward Stowing Portions

·
Registered
66 Posts
I love that bed setup. I think I am going to build something like that for camping trips! Keep it up!

·
Registered
500 Posts
damn, if I didn't have a BIG @ss sub in my trunk I'd def follow your instructions on making that bed. Looks really nice

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
bed setup is awesome!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks really usefull for winter camping when the temps drop and you don't want to make a snow cave or set up a tent. Do you have plans, or rough measurements? Looks like you have it figured out really exact, even adjusted for the air mattress. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks All! Appreciate it, its pretty nice, I super excited to have it out for a multiple day camping trip asap.

Looks really usefull for winter camping when the temps drop and you don't want to make a snow cave or set up a tent. Do you have plans, or rough measurements? Looks like you have it figured out really exact, even adjusted for the air mattress. :bigthumb:
Yes it is. My main objective in creating it was to avoid the whole tent situation. We rarely stay in one camp spot for multiple nights and I am very tired of setting the tent up, taking it down, folding it up, then repeating the process the next night only to have to set the tent up again when I get home to dry it out. In short tents are too much work. :lol:

I don't have any real plans, only some early rough sketches that are pretty ugly. I would be willing to draw some cleaned up plans with some general measurements as well as a materials list if you or anyone else is interested. It is pretty precise, both forward pieces fit nicely into each other which was the real space saver and the part i was most worried about fitting together.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Another thumbs up for that bed setup. I've been thinking of building something similar since I still use the rear seats as well. Your friend has really opened up those wheel wells for the 35's haha!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another thumbs up for that bed setup. I've been thinking of building something similar since I still use the rear seats as well. Your friend has really opened up those wheel wells for the 35's haha!
Slow reply but yeah, he had 37's on it for a while. Went back down to 35's for drive ability.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
July 2011 San Juan Trip

These are pictures from our July 2011 San Juan Trip. Happened to actually be when many of you were there for the FJ Summit, an event I had totally spaced on... A sin I know. Anyway at least we got to get down there. Good to see some of the rigs Ive found on here there.

On to the pics. (Edit: Some of the pictures have yet to be tracked down after photobuckets shenanigans 7/10/17)

Entire Album here: http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/hoffsti/San Juans/

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Love your rear sleeping set up. Very nice!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts