Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded to a manual 6speed 2014 FJ Cruiser with only 29K miles on it. Previously, I owned an '87 4runner that I really liked and literally hated to give up, but I just couldn't keep up with all the failures (being a 30 year old truck) and dwindling supply of OEM parts, so I took the plunge and upgraded. So far I'm liking the FJ a lot with the exception of the programming of the ECM.

I am very used to driving a manual transmission, lower geared "off-roady" kind of vehicle and have adapted a driving style to maximize gas mileage and resources (i.e. I coast a lot, use neutral a lot and use engine torque to slow down and save brakes.) I found it VERY disconcerting having to deal with throttle-by-wire so I now employ a 'Pedal Commander' chip to take care of the sluggish nature of the stock FJ throttle profile and return a more "throttle-cable-like" feel to the truck.

The next pet peeve (the first of two) that I am getting more annoyed at by the second is the ECM programming for control of engine idle and RPM bump when shifting gears (remember this is a manual transmission). Every time I shift gears using the normal simultaneous "let-off-gas and apply-clutch" technique as all of us manual drivers have used for decades the engine rev's super high and then back down on every shift!! WHY? I simply cannot get used to this at all, especially when I strive to maximize every last ounce of fuel economy I can from the truck.

The second thing is that when rolling in neutral at any speed much greater than 25mph the idle speed simply starts steadily increasing, ON IT'S OWN, to around 12-1500rpm!!! I have NO control over this at all and it will NOT return to the normal 6-700rpm idle speed until either the vehicle speed drops below ~25mph, or by bringing the truck to a full stop. This is UNACCEPTABLE and could be a safety hazard on slippery surfaces such as ice or snow, besides wasting an exorbitant amount of fuel in the process.

I have heard of others experiencing these same phenomena, and have since concluded that this is normal behavior of the stock ECM?? So, I have been looking into the UNIChip for the FJ. I wanted to ask, out of all those who have already employed it, is this chip able to remedy the above annoyances, or at least have the capability of a remedy with some custom programming applied?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Every time I shift gears using the normal simultaneous "let-off-gas and apply-clutch" technique as all of us manual drivers have used for decades the engine rev's super high and then back down on every shift!! WHY? I simply cannot get used to this at all, especially when I strive to maximize every last ounce of fuel economy I can from the truck.

The second thing is that when rolling in neutral at any speed much greater than 25mph the idle speed simply starts steadily increasing, ON IT'S OWN, to around 12-1500rpm!!! I have NO control over this at all and it will NOT return to the normal 6-700rpm idle speed until either the vehicle speed drops below ~25mph, or by bringing the truck to a full stop. This is UNACCEPTABLE and could be a safety hazard on slippery surfaces such as ice or snow, besides wasting an exorbitant amount of fuel in the process.
Is there ANYTHING that can be done to correct this that is within reason??

·
Premium Member
12,722 Posts
Been driving the 6MT for 11 years now, it takes a bit of an adjustment bit you'll get there.

Coasting in neutral especially in the winter is a dangerous practice. You are giving up control and that is never good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also not being a dick here but why buy an FJ if you are concerned with fuel mileage? More than likely the engine revs while in neutral to rev match the engine speed to the tire speed

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the same complaint. You get used to it. It messes up you timing on the shift. Really slows your shifting down. I have never owned an automatic, and is the hardest manual trans to drive I have ever driven. I suspect the MT6 was a not-very-well-thought-out afterthought. Thing that gripes me most is reverse gear is way too high. The clutch on mine kind of grabby, but I greased the throwout bearing shaft and that helps a whole lot. It seems like it would be an easy thing for Toyota to reprogram the control unit for the overspeed between shifts problem. Oh, well.

·
Banned
21 Posts
I am experiencing the same rev problems with my 07 manual FJ. It's the same after a clutch and all related component change. Although I didn't expect any change. The question is is this a problem or is it normal?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts