1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I have the ARB fridge.... I like it!!!! This looks like it has about the same power items..... This one is at a good price. Have you tried googling it to see if anyone has posted any reviews???

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the ARB fridge.... I like it!!!! This looks like it has about the same power items..... This one is at a good price. Have you tried googling it to see if anyone has posted any reviews???
Not yet........:thinkerg: I was hoping someone here has experience with them. Thanks, Tim

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
It looks like a knock off of an Engel or ARB fridge, with it's cheap looking exterior. :cool:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This link might work better: EdgeStar 43 Qt Portable Frig/Freezer

I don't know anything about it, but I don't like the looks of the latch, which looks flimsy and liable to break the moment you shove something against it. Check it out here!
You're right, the latch looks like crap! The pic you linked to was much better then the one on ebay, thanks!

It looks like a knock off of an Engel or ARB fridge, with it's cheap looking exterior. :cool:

After seeing swingshiftworkers pic, it does look like a CHEAP knockoff, thanks guys! I guess I'll just have to knuckle down and shell out the money for the ARB/Engel. I guess you do get what you pay for, Tim

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the 86 quart EdgeStar fridge/freezer..... it's been on every trip I've gone on with my Tacoma.... been to Moab, Death Valley, Yellowstone.... For the price I paid I couldn't ask for a better freezer. It keeps stuff nice and cold, it's held up great to the off road trips. The latches might look flimsy, but I haven't had any trouble with it..... EdgeStar has a 5 year warranty. My only regret is going from a Tacoma to and FJ that I wish I got a 48 or 60 quart size... the 86 is a little big for the FJ.....

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I ordered one from Compact Appliances. It arrived in three days. The total with the freezer, 3 year warranty and shipping was 499.00.

The quality is very good, the clamp is stainless and far from being junk. The freezer seemed to work fine, and it goes to minus 8 degrees. But it had shipping damage on the front. I returned it. The one drawback is it is larger than the other two. I am going to order an engle for that reason. I am building an expedition trailer and I need to keep things as small as they can be.

It seems well worth the price, but is too big for the engle slide out or bag. If I had the extre two or three inches, I have heard that somewhwere before:boohoo:, too play with, I would have had them ship me another one.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the 86 quart EdgeStar fridge/freezer..... it's been on every trip I've gone on with my Tacoma.... been to Moab, Death Valley, Yellowstone.... For the price I paid I couldn't ask for a better freezer. It keeps stuff nice and cold, it's held up great to the off road trips. The latches might look flimsy, but I haven't had any trouble with it..... EdgeStar has a 5 year warranty. My only regret is going from a Tacoma to and FJ that I wish I got a 48 or 60 quart size... the 86 is a little big for the FJ.....
Any issues with battery drain? Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered one from Compact Appliances. It arrived in three days. The total with the freezer, 3 year warranty and shipping was 499.00.

The quality is very good, the clamp is stainless and far from being junk. The freezer seemed to work fine, and it goes to minus 8 degrees. But it had shipping damage on the front. I returned it. The one drawback is it is larger than the other two. I am going to order an engle for that reason. I am building an expedition trailer and I need to keep things as small as they can be.

It seems well worth the price, but is too big for the engle slide out or bag. If I had the extre two or three inches, I have heard that somewhwere before:boohoo:, too play with, I would have had them ship me another one.
Thanks for the input! Tim

·
Registered
110 Posts
Any issues with battery drain? Thanks, Tim
As a test I ran the unit for 3 days 3/4 full of gatorade and bottled water with the temp set at 36 degrees without the truck running once. And after day three the battery was still at 12.3 volts. I have the fridge/freezer running on an Optima Yellow top battery, which is my back-up/accessory battery in my dual battery system so I never have fear of killing my starting battery. The EdgeStar fridge/freezer will also shut down when the power drops to 10 volts, so that it will not completely kill a battery down to zero volts. I am very impressed at how well the fridge works. The ambient temp in the back of the truck during the 3 day test was around 79 degrees.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As a test I ran the unit for 3 days 3/4 full of gatorade and bottled water with the temp set at 36 degrees without the truck running once. And after day three the battery was still at 12.3 volts. I have the fridge/freezer running on an Optima Yellow top battery, which is my back-up/accessory battery in my dual battery system so I never have fear of killing my starting battery. The EdgeStar fridge/freezer will also shut down when the power drops to 10 volts, so that it will not completely kill a battery down to zero volts. I am very impressed at how well the fridge works. The ambient temp in the back of the truck during the 3 day test was around 79 degrees.
Ity seems to be a quality system. The only draw back that I had with it was the size. For 250.00 bucks less it is a great deal.
Thanks to everyone for the input! Now I just have to make a decision......

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.