Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealer and asked for a quote on a new Tundra for work, the guy knew I was going to buy it. Yet it has been 3 days since and he has yet to return any of my calls.
This is Sherwood Toyota, I have had nothing but problems in the past with them so its about time I went somewhere else because I guess they don't want my business.

Does anyone have any good experiences with Toyota Dealers around Edmonton?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had a pretty good experience with Gateway Toyota. I searched for months and then saw the FJ I wanted online and took it for a test drive. I saw all of the details on the truck and told them what I would pay per month and over how many years and if they could do that I would buy the truck. They were pretty good to deal with and gave me a good deal on it. In total the whole experience lasted maybe 2 hours.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Sale Dept at Gateway is pretty good, that's where I bought my FJ.

The Service Dept is a different story all together......brutal is the first word that comes to mind.

I would also stay away from Sun Toyota - the GM is a complete scheister.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I can't recommend Mayfield because of the service I have received from them. Perhaps try outside of Edmonton? There is Toyota City in Wetaskiwin.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up, ill try Wetaskiwin.

You think Edmonton area dealers would be embarrassed about their reputation.

Cheers:cheers:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just picked up my new 2011 FJ on monday from Gateway Toyota in Edmonton. I did the entire purchase negotiation by email and over the phone, and never even met the salesman until I went in to pick-up the FJ. They were awesome to deal with and I am very satisfied.

By the way, my first stop and test drive had been at Sherwood Park Toyota, and that was a totally miserable experience. Although very personable, the sales person I talked to had been on the job for only a couple months and knew absolutely nothing about the FJ or its features. I requested a price from them on three separate occasions, but they refused to give me one, essentially telling me that they would not do so unless I was willing to come in and sign on the dotted line immediately. They brought their sales manager and their owner in to try to put pressure on me to make the sale. The whole process pissed me off so much that I was very happy to go elsewhere.

regards
dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
Last month I bought a new car. I wanted the Scion TC and was dealing with a girl at Sherwood Toyota (Jesse, nice girl but sells off the "eye candy" principle). I test drove the car on a Sunday, and went back the following Saturday to deal. I was met with:
The website price is wrong, the PDI/Delivery charge is incorrectly low on the website
We have etching, doc fees, etc totaling almost $1000

Payments were $310 at Sherwood, Scion website said $270. I came prepared to deal down from $270. No luck. I went to Sherwood Honda (across street) for a Civic and got the exact same thing. The "sales manager" popped in and stated that I must have been looking at the 4 yr finance, not the 3 yr finance...I had printouts as I am rather thorough. Kinda felt as though I was in the movie Fargo (no, not being fed into a wood chipper but dealing with typical car salesman, "would you like the undercoating...").

I went directly to Mills Nissan (which I had visited the prior weekend and gotten a written quote directly after test-drive) and bought a Sentra SE-R. Their price was slightly below Nissan's website. No doc fees or etching etc. They didn't charge me for the mother of pearl paint ($200) and I had them throw in all weather floor mats ($100). The MSRP of all 3 models of car I was considering (Scion, Civic, Sentra) were equivalent. The Sentra was on sale and I was attempting to have the other 2 match the Sentra price; their sales tactics were to increase price rather than decrease it. I bought at Mills because of their straightforward approach and their lack of extra fees.

I've worked in sales for years and don't dick people around, I hate being dicked around. I recommend Mills Nissan as they were straight forward and their prices matched (or beat) the manufacturers website. Nissan was also having some smoking deals on 2011 vehicles (I've owned more Toyotas than Nissans and am not playing favourites but neither of these trucks, Tundra/Titan, are built in Japan like the FJ, nor are they built in Canada, they are both built in USA which belies their quality). Of note, the Titan has a much higher payload than the Tundra (I do like the Tundra, but I deal with a lot of trucks at work and the Tundra crew and crewmax have the same payload as an FJ).

Good luck with your purchase. Mayfield has a nice truck center.

PS. I bought my FJ at a Chev dealer...it was a year old trade-in with 12,000 kms on it. Got it for $29k (MSRP was $40k and equivalent FJs with more mileage were $35-36 at Toyota dealers). Domestic dealers don't know anything about imports or resale values. Just a thought...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Last month I bought a new car. I wanted the Scion TC and was dealing with a girl at Sherwood Toyota (Jesse, nice girl but sells off the "eye candy" principle). ...
That was the same girl that I dealt with. Nice to look at and very personaable, but knew absolutely zero about the FJ. Glad I went elsewhere for my purchase.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my used FJ online at Mayfield Toyota. Guy had it ready to test drive and the deal took 15 minutes. Traded my Nissan Rogue and he even gave me a ballpark value on that

Great Service

First post as searching for Winter Wiper Blades

·
Registered
138 Posts
I second Mayfield for decent people in both departments.

SP Toyota quoted me one price over the phone and through emails for a hitch install. After they installed it the bill was $150 more than what I was quoted. I met with the manager and he looked at the emails. He of course couldn't back out of it with documented proof. I will say the guys in the parts department at SP were really top notch.

Gateway parts was brutal. Nothing is free... at all. I stopped dealing with Gateway and never recommend them.

I think they will try anything to get your dollar now that the prices are 25% less than they were 5 years ago.

I was fortunate to buy my FJ privately for an amazing deal - back in '09. I keep waffling on selling it but then keep adding accessories to it etc. lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts