Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get better mileage out of my FJ Tank. Anyone know about a conversion kit to get rid of the fan and clutch and replace with electric?

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
since it has a clutch, there won't be much mpg gain, if any, by going to an electric (as, in either case, it only runs when needed)

Best way to get improved mileage: return the lift and wheels/tires to stock, air up the tires as high as you can comfortably stand, accelerate really slowly (and drive people like me crazy on the merging ramps to the highway)

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
What kind of MPG are you getting? ^^^ How's the FJ equipped?

·
Admin
6,993 Posts
Yeah, I would doubt that there would be much mpg improvement as well.

I do not know of much, if any, conversation regarding electric fan installs on here.

The only reason I can think of to install an electric fan would be to have the ability to shut it off during extremely deep water crossings.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Trying to get better mileage out of my FJ Tank. Anyone know about a conversion kit to get rid of the fan and clutch and replace with electric?
Make sure to stop by the newbie and introduction thread. This not only helps people get to know you but also willing to help with members, not just people who are one stop shopping.

LC Engineering/Flex-a-lite has a kit. In agreement that I doubt it'll better your mileage. For how efficient the stock clutch fan is, I'd probably suggest keeping it if yours is a daily driver.

A better low maintenance upgrade would be replacing the water pump pulley and depending on your year FJ, the alternator pulley as well. Both aftermarket aluminum pulleys decrease their weight about half.

If you don't mind the exhaust tone, an aftermarket Y-pipe like Doug Thorley helps the exhaust system flow easier/better than the stock pipe which was built more for clearance over exhaust flow scavenging. My MPG steadily increased after this mod.

Also this only works on single VVTI FJ cruisers, Tacomas have been testing replacing the exhaust cam gears with URD gears on the same motor. You can refer to this thread over at TW with several others praising their MPG and acceleration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts