Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and really did not find an answer in this section. I am thinking of putting a Hayden electric fan on my FJ. What I am wondering is do you have to change the belt to a smaller one? If so what size belt do I need. Is there a link to a set of instructions on how to do this and what other parts are needed.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Whats wrong with mechanical fan?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Belt driven robs power and fuel economy, but is the most reliable and can stand up to water crossings. I have wondered why Toyota has not looked at electric fans and all I could think of was cost, reliability and power draw on an electrical system many owners have over loaded already... For this type of vehicle I think belt is just better all around choice.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Belt driven robs power and fuel economy, but is the most reliable. I have wondered why Toyota has not looked at electric fans and all I could think of was cost, reliability and power draw on an electrical system many owners have over loaded already.
It doesnt really rob that much power really. It's what the fan clutch is for.
Mechanical fan is more reliable. You dont want to cross a dirty river and find out you fried the electric motor.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some great questions about what is wrong with the mechanical fan. So here is what I am thinking. I am not worried about water crossing at this point in time. I use this as a DD in the winter mostly because my other car does not go in the snow. As for robbing power I am not really worried about that either. What I was thinking and am thinking is; my wife's Jeep JKU warms up pretty fast in the winter and I think it is because it has an electric fan. I have to drive around 8 miles before mine really gets heated up to the point I have to turn the heat down a touch. The wife's JKU around three miles and I am roasting. I figure the fan spinning all the time is keeping the engine from coming up to heat as fast. I am toying with the idea right now to see if the benefits out way the problems. I replaced the thermostat last spring thinking it might help, but it did not. Shy of putting cardboard in front of the radiator to heat it up faster is there anything I am missing?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Just let it idle warm up a little before you leave.
The wasted gas compare to an electric fan is gonna last you a couple of years.
You can try block the grill or something to keep the engine from getting too cold.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just let it idle warm up a little before you leave.
The wasted gas compare to an electric fan is gonna last you a couple of years.
You can try block the grill or something to keep the engine from getting too cold.
I thought about that also along with a good block heater. Just exploring ideas.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Mlarv, during the warm up stage the fan is virtually having no effect at all on the warm up time, during this time your engine thermostat is closed or should be....The exception is some have a very small bypass hole allowing some flow to the radiator. Otherwise a non defective closed thermostat means no water is flowing through the radiator at all so the fan is not an factor/issue.... The thermostat opens only when the engine temp has come up to set temperature, only now the water circulates through the radiator.
My FJ actually comes up to temp pretty quickly and it gets pretty cold here.... it looks like you have an 07 I would check our change your thermostat there is a high possibility that it could be stuck slightly open, this would extend you warm up time substantially. Additionally if your thermostat is crack or defective you could go to all the expense and work of changing to a electric fan system and change Nothing temp warm up wise.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mlarv, during the warm up stage the fan is virtually having no effect at all on the warm up time, during this time your engine thermostat is closed or should be....The exception is some have a very small bypass hole allowing some flow to the radiator. Otherwise a non defective closed thermostat means no water is flowing through the radiator at all so the fan is not an factor/issue.... The thermostat opens only when the engine temp has come up to set temperature, only now the water circulates through the radiator.
My FJ actually comes up to temp pretty quickly and it gets pretty cold here.... it looks like you have an 07 I would check our change your thermostat there is a high possibility that it could be stuck slightly open, this would extend you warm up time substantially. Additionally if your thermostat is crack or defective you could go to all the expense and work of changing to a electric fan system and change Nothing temp warm up wise.

Thanks I replaced the Tstat last spring after I bought it thinking it was or might be bad. I am thinking after the remote start gets installed this week I might do a block heater just because I like my creature comforts in the mornings.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
^^^^ I hear ya, exactly why I just finally got around to installing my electric seat heaters, next I am going to make a cover for my alluminum shifter handle , something that I can take off in the summer but that dam thing gets fricken cold at - 20.
The block heater will make a big difference on warm up time, when I use one I have it on a timer set to start a few hours ahead of starting the vehicle. Some people have been know to drive away while plugged in, one thing to reduce this is hang the power cord up over the drivers side mirror.
Just a couple of thoughts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In my idea the original mechanical fan is sufficient to cool the engine without decrease its power out put. Replacing the electric fan would need some mods to perfectly fit the thing. Another things to consider its the temperature reading.

·
Premium Member
4,077 Posts
Thought....

You drive the Heep and make your wife drive the FJ
Just kidding but that's what I do

I have been involved in changing the fans out from mechanical to electric, not in the FJ but in Jeeps

There is quite a bit of work to this but not impossible

The biggest hurdle I think is getting the correct thermistatic switch to turn it on and off. You are adding a control system that runs your fan that as to be tunned, just like any control scheme. You have two control schemes with this set up, your fan and your thermostat.

It might not seem like much but the engineers that set up the mechanical fan to work in sync with the thermostat spent some time and money to get it right. Warm good the winter but cool in the summer.

Some I have seen work good in summer but are cold in the winter and vice versa

My FJ and Jeep have mechanical

Good luck what ever you decide

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thought....

You drive the Heep and make your wife drive the FJ
Just kidding but that's what I do

I have been involved in changing the fans out from mechanical to electric, not in the FJ but in Jeeps

There is quite a bit of work to this but not impossible

The biggest hurdle I think is getting the correct thermistatic switch to turn it on and off. You are adding a control system that runs your fan that as to be tunned, just like any control scheme. You have two control schemes with this set up, your fan and your thermostat.

It might not seem like much but the engineers that set up the mechanical fan to work in sync with the thermostat spent some time and money to get it right. Warm good the winter but cool in the summer.

Some I have seen work good in summer but are cold in the winter and vice versa

My FJ and Jeep have mechanical

Good luck what ever you decide
I really don't like the heep so she can keep it.

As for the electric fan I figure it would help but after reading a bit more about them and the way this fan works on the FJ I don't think I am going to go this route

I will get it figured out some how. Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
1. Electrical fans are a bit more efficient if you have more radiator than necessary.
2. Most electrical fans are sealed well enough to operate in water and if they overload a fuse or breaker will shut the system down.
3. The thermostat controls warm-up not the air passing through the radiator. While the engine block coolant temperature is below (160-190)F the thermostat remains closed as the coolant circulates through the engine and heater core only. The radiator is by-passed until the thermostat opens.
4. The big difference between vehicles is most likely the coolant capacity, excluding the radiator and main hoses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts