Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Attilla

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
attillahunley said:
Ever go wheelin and don't feel like getting scratched up or just want to do some trail maintenance?
After my trip this weekend and some desert pinstripping, I was in the garage waxing and happened to catch my hedge trimmers out of the corner of my eye........ Had to try it out.... I hooked up a 12 gauge 50 foot extension cord, fired up the FJ and proceded to trim all of the bushes and trees in my front yard, no problem.
I may take this little trick with me on my next offroad trip, hedge trimmers an extension cord and a manual branch cutter too, do trail maintenance and save my paint.
OK, now let me have it.......

Attilla
Have you ever in your life heard the term Tread LIghtly
there is a link in my signature
actually I wish a mod would erase this thread

·
Banned
505 Posts
Interesting exchange; as I always believed 100% in Highbeam's organization (without researching same)...yet now question why this group would be evidently against clearing overhanging limbs off of established/legal trails.(assuming that this is the case).

What trimming standards are in place on these full-size trails (besides obvious width/heigth measurement) and who exactly decides which branch is allowed to grow 'forever' into this envelope for whatever reason?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Great idea for trail managment, however care must be taken to
avoid crossing the fine line between trail maintence & Clearcutting.

Out East we have lots of narrow trails that require annual maintence to keep the brush from overgrowing them and to clear out storm damage.

Great idea to use the onboard 110 to power an electric hedge trimmer, however lets go easy on the vegitation and not overdue it. Unless you have permission from the land owner to do trail maintence you should never cut any trees or branches at the risk of losing future access to the trail.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Attilla

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
the difference is, once started, where does it end
it is like you come to a huge mud hole in the trail, the hole is the trail but you decide to go around it, by the end of the weekend a new trail is cut around the hole so many have followed your tracks, next month you notice they have spent time and material to block off the new trail to keep you going thru tha area that was a mud hole. oh but I just wanted not to have to get my jeep FJ muddy so I started a ilegal trail that will take several years to grow over

in comparo, you trim a few branches to get the FJ through, by the end of the week some guy in a motor couch trims a few major branches to get the coach though, you do not think it will happen? Oh it will, what one person has the right to do, everyone feels he does
leave the branches, have someone hold them out of the way
Remember, your from Pheonix, some of the plants in your area take years to grow 6 inches

Tread LIghtly

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Drive your FJ to your buddies house, plug in the whipper snipper into the FJ and go to town! For sh**s and giggles, bring along a blender and have margeritta's when your done! If that doesn't get the neighbors attention.....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Attilla

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
attillahunley said:
Again, what's the difference between trimming back bushes to the same size as the trail as compared to running your vehicle though there and breaking the branches off? Common sense goes a long way. We can "what if" forever. I like the mudhole scenario, so, let's have a bush scenario: A little baby bush is born next to a trail, before long its 8 feet across and 4 of that is in your trail, do you rub it to get through and/or use a "bush spotter" and break off 2 feet worth of branches, trim it 2 feet so you can fit or simply drive around it? I feel that there is less impact trimming the bush back than driving wide to avoid it and widening the trail, bending it back with a "bush spotter" which may actually break a main trunk or branch near the trunk causing even more damage than trimming.
Motor coach? Whatever. With your line of thought maybe we all should just ride bicycles offroad instead, that's much less of an impact and definitely treading even more lightly....
Common sense goes a long way. Go lecture those who don't care, litterers, people that burn against restrictions, drive off trail, blaze new trails etc, etc, etc... I've hauled out more than 50 lawn and garden bags full of trash myself, organized cleanup outtings and reported a dozen violators over the years. Although I do have respect for your good natured concern for the desert, I feel that your line is bureacratic / political and somewhere near senselessness. I feel a spotted owl story coming next.

Keep treading lightly..

Attilla

I give up, when you see a TRAIL CLOSED sign, do not complain, oh yes I have seen my share over stupid stuff like this

it may suprise you, but they nolonger want bicycles offroads, they cause way to much damage with those narrow tires that bite way deep, and Motorcoaches, you would be suprised where some guys will try to get them, every year they colse trails while they do an extraction of some trailer or motorcoach thet could not make it and got stuck, blocking the trail, and it sometimes stays closed for several weeks till they get professional equiptment down there to get it out.

Further more, we are already in a MAJOR WAR to keep public lands open, groups like green peace and the Seirra Club, Earth NOw and so many others. monitor trails and send evidence of this kind of abuse to Senators and Congress Men to prove that Off Road Vehicles have no right to be on public lands. Every time they find this kind of stuff it gets recorded and filed away for court battles. Our lands are being slowly closed every few years by lack of funding, we do not need the added preasure of this kind of abuse. Just go to a site that advocates trail clousures, you will see that they use such small stuff as ilegal stream crossings, going 5 feet off trail, running over or damageing plants to help thier cause, if they start finding evidence of weed eaters and electric pruners being used they will make a mountain out of it also. They go so far as to monitor offroad sites to download threads about illeagle activities, such as idiots posting pics of running closed areas. We do not need to be feeding ammunition to the enemy. Further, if you do not want scratches, do not do the trail. when you go offraod you have to acept the results. TO start to change the enviroment to suit you is the Problem we have had for thousands of years untill we now have the enviroment closed in to special forest and parks so we can protect them

Tread Lightly is not a option
it is a way of life
and we do not change the rules for scratches
it may seem like a "whats the difference" thing to you
but for those of us fighting the battle, showing up at public meetings to show support or to speak, writing our Senetors and Congressmen, Lobbying and donateing time,money and effort into the cause. it is a CREED.

The Only Way We Can Keep These Lands Open is Through Stewardship and Education.

cutting brances to get by is a Howitzer given to the Greenies

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Attilla

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I sense you do not see it
trail maintenece, and adopt a trail programs work hand in hand with the governing authority, BLM, NFS. and send in a schedule and inventory of work proposed to get approved. they also are given work schedules that need to be done to keep their trail. They are fiercely proud of theose trails and want to keep them
I DO KNOW HOW THESE THINGS WORK
do you think that I sit around and play games if I am this adiment about Tread Lightly
I am a member of 2 Adopt A Trail groups, and want to form another.

do not call me a genius in a snide way like that
you are only proving you are part of the problem
a simple backing down, and accepting what is correct would prove you are intellegent enough to learn.
now calm down
I will let you post whatever reply you want, futher argueing proves nothing.
the goal here is to keep trails open
either you accept the proper way
or you do not
part of the problem
or part of the solution

Tread Lightly

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Vansmack said:
I'm hoping that my electric shovel will work when plugged in the back outlet, that way I can clear all of the rocks out of the way so they don't scratch the underside of my truck.
or have me hang you up on them?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
While I grew up in an area where you HAD to carry around a chainsaw to clear the road to get to work, I cringe at the thought of hearing someone fire up a hedger, weed whacker, or whatever in the country. scratches go without saying...I can't imagine how many hours it would take to stop the vehicle, get out, do some trimming, pack back up, drive 20 feet and repeat. Actually, there are some places I'm pretty DAMN sure I can't stop since losing momentum would be a bad thing. Accept the scratches as the price you pay to wheel!
Although I would think the idea handy for someone's ranch...

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Having cleared MTB trails after hurricanes, the general rule was that anything that can knock you off the bike has to go. Otherwise you had to suck it up and bounce, climb, or scrape through it.

I have the opposite view on off road vehicle trails.

If you keep clearing the damned things, you just wind up with eroded dirt roads through the woods, and I have to agree with highbeams--you just DESTROY them.

Take the scratches. They're a sign you're a real off-roader.

·
Banned
505 Posts
If the land managers want to crucify a guy who cuts the limb out of the way within the legal trail envelope...why in the heck would they or the off-road clubs imagine that this same person would ever get very darn enthused about becoming involved in the far more serious issues impacting the ground?

I understand the concern regarding out-of-control clear-cutting and which way the width envelope should be alternating back and forth to conform to the lay of the land/obstacles....yet (again) why is that limb there in the first place?
If it's dead fall or weather-related ...why wait for the trail crew?
If it's new growth of the type that folks here claim the greenies get all worked up about...then why in the heck was it not taken care of when the land manager released the grant money upon physical approval of the work done?
Do some areas of this country have Miracle-Gro like soil that allows this much growth between inspections(?)...and if so...why in the heck wouldn't education of users concerning hacking within the obvious envelope already created....go far in reducing the costs to maintain same in the first place?

I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the land around this country is being enjoyed by a lot of people who aren't paying a darn thing or very little to maintain/fix/restore what they obviously impact....and that there is a significant number within even the good off-road clubs who would just as soon keep it that way.

We either need to get a serious attitude about pay-to-play and the true cost of wheelin' (I can guarantee you that a privitized program partnered with volunteers would not only efficiently adress pesky limbs; but properly assess/maintain any trail until they didn't and were kicked out)...or remain fated to arguing amongst ourselves over how much damage a hedge trimmer can do while the ground below looks like a crime scene from the German blitzkrieg.

I'd like to support a lot of these off-road clubs who are right now making a difference...yet I hear very little talk of how the next generation will fill their honorable shoes with the increased numbers of volunteers on the ground needed or the plan that they have in place should this not necessarily happen.(I'd settle for even witnessing the first nationwide "pay-to-play" campaign that shamed the majority of this dis-jointed community into either one camp or the other).

Our last funding proposal here in Michigan that included all forms of orv recreation; asked for $25 year from 200,000 users for over 3,000 miles of trail. The clubs unanimously agreed that instead of one dollar out of the present $16.25 taken out for subsidized training (we've evidently got a lot of 'destitute' parents up here)...and that tripling the amount taken out of the increased $25 figure for 'youth training'...would have absolutely no adverse effect on the other programs funded and that all percentages would remain the same! (nobody said word one; yet now we are saddled with 750 more miles coming down the pipe that very few in this state know a darn thing about either).

Again, I've probably joined/quit more orv clubs than most....yet I've failed to see where many of them were as honest with themselves...as the environmentalists were as persuasive or passionate in regards to the areas that we certainly impact.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
highbeams said:
I sense you do not see it
trail maintenece, and adopt a trail programs work hand in hand with the governing authority, BLM, NFS. and send in a schedule and inventory of work proposed to get approved. they also are given work schedules that need to be done to keep their trail. They are fiercely proud of theose trails and want to keep them
I DO KNOW HOW THESE THINGS WORK
do you think that I sit around and play games if I am this adiment about Tread Lightly
I am a member of 2 Adopt A Trail groups, and want to form another.

do not call me a genius in a snide way like that
you are only proving you are part of the problem
a simple backing down, and accepting what is correct would prove you are intellegent enough to learn.
now calm down
I will let you post whatever reply you want, futher argueing proves nothing.
the goal here is to keep trails open
either you accept the proper way
or you do not
part of the problem
or part of the solution

Tread Lightly
Because something is "proper" in your mind doesn't make it fact, law of the land, common sense, or even the right thing to do.
By the way, I only called you genius because you pulled out the first 2 insults and I held my words on the first.
As far as intelligence, I'd compare I.Q., education, income, portfolio, net worth and common sense with you any day of the week. What? Don't like the truth? Maybe you shouldn't be so insulting, you could have made your point without the insults, your point would have gone a world further with me and all that have read this thread sounding a positive voice for your cause and something someone might be able look up to, but you didn't, really displaying the type of person that you are, your lack of intelligence, people skills and education, your point is lost in the childishness of your insults.
When I was out with the BLM a few years ago, they clear cut 2 to 3 feet FROM the trail on each side when they were in charge on an 8 mile trail, stating that the clean up needed to be good for 5 to 7 years, I would never make a call or do something as drastic, they took out hundreds of shrubs, bushes and a couple of small trees. Now I understand your comprehension skills are minimal, so I'll use little words from here out just for you. I have never negatively impacted a trail and never will.
I never back down, especially when I know that I'm right, you have your beliefs and I mine, they conflict, if you can be a man and drop the insults we can have an adult discussion. I watch the same tactics in politics, when someone can't make an argument strong enough to make their point, they always go to insults, where as I only insult when insulted, purely reactive. I'm sorry that you live in a state where they'll use any excuse to close trails, look at what they had done with Glamis and Buttercup, shut down the whole area because some wild weed was growing there in the sand stating it was endangered, so maybe in Cali you need to walk on eggshells, in AZ it's quite a different atmosphere politically when it comes to these issues.......
I am done with the insults if you are, Adult discussion now?:(
Have a great day.

Attilla

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blackstone_Cruiser said:
:eek: Geesh, And this whole thing started over a guy posting that an electric hedge trimmer will work using the onboard 110V outlet.
Thanks man!! I agree..................

Attilla

1 - 20 of 47 Posts