Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Blackstone_Cruiser said:
:eek: Geesh, And this whole thing started over a guy posting that an electric hedge trimmer will work using the onboard 110V outlet.
nope the entire thing started because he wats to go out and trim the forest so that he doesn't get any scratches.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
attillahunley said:
Because something is "proper" in your mind doesn't make it fact, law of the land, common sense, or even the right thing to do.
By the way, I only called you genius because you pulled out the first 2 insults and I held my words on the first.
As far as intelligence, I'd compare I.Q., education, income, portfolio, net worth and common sense with you any day of the week. What? Don't like the truth? Maybe you shouldn't be so insulting, you could have made your point without the insults, your point would have gone a world further with me and all that have read this thread sounding a positive voice for your cause and something someone might be able look up to, but you didn't, really displaying the type of person that you are, your lack of intelligence, people skills and education, your point is lost in the childishness of your insults.
When I was out with the BLM a few years ago, they clear cut 2 to 3 feet FROM the trail on each side when they were in charge on an 8 mile trail, stating that the clean up needed to be good for 5 to 7 years, I would never make a call or do something as drastic, they took out hundreds of shrubs, bushes and a couple of small trees. Now I understand your comprehension skills are minimal, so I'll use little words from here out just for you. I have never negatively impacted a trail and never will.
I never back down, especially when I know that I'm right, you have your beliefs and I mine, they conflict, if you can be a man and drop the insults we can have an adult discussion. I watch the same tactics in politics, when someone can't make an argument strong enough to make their point, they always go to insults, where as I only insult when insulted, purely reactive. I'm sorry that you live in a state where they'll use any excuse to close trails, look at what they had done with Glamis and Buttercup, shut down the whole area because some wild weed was growing there in the sand stating it was endangered, so maybe in Cali you need to walk on eggshells, in AZ it's quite a different atmosphere politically when it comes to these issues.......
I am done with the insults if you are, Adult discussion now?:(
Have a great day.

Attilla

I have stated it

post what you want

when they close your trails, do not cry

bottom line, it is WRONG

however, you have the ability to change the rules because you do not want scratches

big bad offroad guy cannot get a scratch

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OK Highbeams, the onboard outlet will work on hedgetrimmers, so when you are out with BLM, NFS or you pick your favorite...... You can use your hedgetrimmers to perform work under their direction....
Happy?

Attilla

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
highbeams said:
big bad offroad guy cannot get a scratch

Like I said before, insults show lack of intelligence, sorry to see that you lack so much, and it's clearly apparent to those that have e-mailed me also. There is no adult exchange with you is there?
Do you own a new FJ? Or are you still driving the old one on your avatar? My guess is that you probably can't foot the bill.
Driving my $4000 offroad vehicle, my 86' Sub, not so worried about scratches, new $30k plus FJ, sure, back to common sense.

Attilla

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
both of the Adopt a Trails I bel;ong to are unrated trails, so we do not trim branches, the trail I am trying to get a group together to adopt is a rated trail and we will do whatever the forestry service wants us too. But I do not beleive I will need to use hedge trimmers, maybe some huge rotary saws attached to the front of the FJ, or borrow one of those rotateing tunnelers.

I do not want a arguement, it is just to important to see that taking this issue into your own hands is only going to bring down problems on us as offroaders. we already have to live down teenagers with raging hormones geting out of hand because they are young and full of #*%, and lack the knowledge of age. If you will sit back for a second, you will understand that it is really a huge WAR with the greenies sandal crowd. We need to be stewards who prove we are a valuable resorce to the Forestry service and other governing groups, instead of then finding damage to the land they are intrusted to protect.
In the 48 years I have been alive I have seen a tremendous amount of land taken away from us to use. And they will continue to take more. If we want to stop it, we need to learn to be better, not to change rules for our personal needs.
Please, recognize this as a request. And recognise the true need we have.
get out a map and look at how much land is now wilderness area, off limits to even bicycles, and remember, groups like the sierra club are lobbying for more.

thank you

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
highbeams said:
both of the Adopt a Trails I bel;ong to are unrated trails, so we do not trim branches, the trail I am trying to get a group together to adopt is a rated trail and we will do whatever the forestry service wants us too. But I do not beleive I will need to use hedge trimmers, maybe some huge rotary saws attached to the front of the FJ, or borrow one of those rotateing tunnelers.

I do not want a arguement, it is just to important to see that taking this issue into your own hands is only going to bring down problems on us as offroaders. we already have to live down teenagers with raging hormones geting out of hand because they are young and full of #*%, and lack the knowledge of age. If you will sit back for a second, you will understand that it is really a huge WAR with the greenies sandal crowd. We need to be stewards who prove we are a valuable resorce to the Forestry service and other governing groups, instead of then finding damage to the land they are intrusted to protect.
In the 48 years I have been alive I have seen a tremendous amount of land taken away from us to use. And they will continue to take more. If we want to stop it, we need to learn to be better, not to change rules for our personal needs.
Please, recognize this as a request. And recognise the true need we have.
get out a map and look at how much land is now wilderness area, off limits to even bicycles, and remember, groups like the sierra club are lobbying for more.

thank you
Very well said, I can take this to heart.:) As I said before, I do respect your position, we are in the same book, just a couple of pages off from each other....

Have a great day and good luck with your efforts..... If in AZ on one of your conservation cleanups etc., post it, I'll be there with tools, bags and an offroad trailer.....

The Sierra Club is even trying to close our dams in AZ, huge amounts of ultra-clean ultra-cheap energy, They've lost their minds......

Attilla

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
attillahunley said:
Very well said, I can take this to heart.:) As I said before, I do respect your position, we are in the same book, just a couple of pages off from each other....

Have a great day and good luck with your efforts..... If in AZ on one of your conservation cleanups etc., post it, I'll be there with tools, bags and an offroad trailer.....

The Sierra Club is even trying to close our dams in AZ, huge amounts of ultra-clean ultra-cheap energy, They've lost their minds......

Attilla
thank you

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have been reading a lot of great posts around here but I never thought about registering. This is an interesting thread and I thought I would shared my experience.

At some forest service roads and power lines roads I would run into a bush growing in the middle portion of the road where vehicle tires do not usually travel. These bushes can grow larger and its stem thicker. Should one pull it out from its roots while it is young in order to clear the road or let it grow and have the vehicle run over it which at that point could cause a less appealing scene?

Some triming might have some positive notes.

1) It can help people to stay honest and using the road instead of by passing it and creating another road. Sorta like mud holes on the road where vehicles have ventured off road and causing new by pass roads around it.

2) Trimming can be better for the tree or bush growing from the side of the road than having the branch break or split from its base causing a potential disease problem. Some of us do our own or hire landscapers to take care of our plants. Would it not be better to take this maintenance method off road?

3) clean roads makes for a more safe and enjoyable excursion. Less chances of getting a flat tire from a poke of a tree branch and keeping the vehicle to staying on the road instead of guessing if you are on the road. Guessing can lead to running over a rock or sliding off the edge if you are on a ridge.

I have run into many published roads that over time have had significant vegetation growth that the road seems to be almost non existant. I feel worse driving through it as it then leaves a trail like if a jugernaut went through it. What is left behind might be seen as if we were not "treading lightly" even though it was a road before.

I wonder what everyone else would do or if they have come across that situtation. If we leave it be then that is just one more road that we can no longer enjoy.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
hey speedy, nice first post ;)
I think there is a line between trail maintenance and oh no, a scratch from a lil branch. The later is what I think some people were trying to deter people from here.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
MissFJ said:
hey speedy, nice first post ;)
I think there is a line between trail maintenance and oh no, a scratch from a lil branch. The later is what I think some people were trying to deter people from here.

Yeah, I did not want this to be my first post but this is an interesting topic. I have off roaded here and in Mexico. Unfortunately, I have seen the bad side of the off road scene here and we all have our viewpoints.

I fight to keep my own landscaping done right without causing plant stress or introduce diseases. This most of all caused me to post. I have seen people barrel through and from an out side view it might not seem like they are doing any damage but to the tree you are bruising it and damaging it. Cracked or broken branches can introduce disease and with nature plants they have to depend on mother nature for water and nutrients which makes it even that much more of a problem for them.

Looking at it as a conservationist I think trimming is less likely to cause plant damage than forcing your way and maybe breaking it. We also have to think about our smaller off road buddies (ATC,ATV,MC) where their safety is also a concern with encrouching vegetation and keeping them also in staying honest to "treading lightly". Trimming can open roads to keep everyone honest on staying on the road. If trimming allows the road to be traveled for people who want to enjoy the off road sport, staying on existing roads, and not scratching their vehicle then I think it is an added benefit for what ever side of the off road coin we are on. Besides the vegetation will grow back much easier and healthier by trimming then by accidentaly breaking a branch.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
^^then we should have a discussion on how to properly trim. cuz there's a right and a wrong way to do so, correct?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
speedy said:
Yeah, I did not want this to be my first post but this is an interesting topic. I have off roaded here and in Mexico. Unfortunately, I have seen the bad side of the off road scene here and we all have our viewpoints.

I fight to keep my own landscaping done right without causing plant stress or introduce diseases. This most of all caused me to post. I have seen people barrel through and from an out side view it might not seem like they are doing any damage but to the tree you are bruising it and damaging it. Cracked or broken branches can introduce disease and with nature plants they have to depend on mother nature for water and nutrients which makes it even that much more of a problem for them.

Looking at it as a conservationist I think trimming is less likely to cause plant damage than forcing your way and maybe breaking it. We also have to think about our smaller off road buddies (ATC,ATV,MC) where their safety is also a concern with encrouching vegetation and keeping them also in staying honest to "treading lightly". Trimming can open roads to keep everyone honest on staying on the road. If trimming allows the road to be traveled for people who want to enjoy the off road sport, staying on existing roads, and not scratching their vehicle then I think it is an added benefit for what ever side of the off road coin we are on. Besides the vegetation will grow back much easier and healthier by trimming then by accidentaly breaking a branch.

Cheers,
Speedy, welcome. Great first couple of posts, lots of good thought and insight. I look forward to your future posts on other topics...

Attilla

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
attillahunley said:
do trail maintenance and save my paint.
Attilla
:eek: :eek: :eek: Did i read that right ??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
982 Posts
speedy said:

Cheers,
I don't think anyone was advocating that trail maintenance as it relates to vegetation should not occur. It was more a debate over "do it yourself" vs "do it under the auspices of those responsible for it (such as forestry, etc)".

And I think there was debate over 'how much trimming should be done?' Do you trim for a bike, a quad, an suv, an H1, or a 35' motor home? Who decides - the driver or those responsible for the trail?

I don't feel a compelling need to enter the debate, but I think those are the questions. Not so much 'whether it should be done' but more about 'by whom' and 'how much'.

I think, however it was generally agreed that it should be about preserving the trail and not about avoiding every possible scratch to your paint.

·
Registered
619 Posts
We are looking into an elecrtic chainsaw to cut downed trees from the ice\wind storms and to open up a trail to the Bikes can see the rigs(when sharing the trail) where I wheel locally...
When the trails get overgrown every year, someone has got to open them up or plow through)of which I am not a proponent)...So I vote for the trimmers and the saw...I hope it works...
Otherwise there would be no trail...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts