Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone else has had this issue. On my So. Cal 2013 FJC , I noticed the driver side mirror was not tracking smoothly when I would adjust it. The mirror would hop as it tracked side to side. Like it was hanging up. I could hear the motor stressing .Passenger side ok . I use the driver side more, obviously. This can't be good for the motor.

I popped the mirror off and removed the 3 screws that hold the square frame on so I could better see what was going behind the platform that the mirror snaps onto. There are two white plastic pistons protruding from black rubber O-rings . One controls up/ down movement as it rotates . The other one, side to side movement.
These were not turning smoothly when I activated the adjustment toggle.
Solution: I carefully sprayed (w the red tube ) a light shot of fluid film lubricant on the piston and o ring, then spread it around w/ my finger.
I worked the mirror switch up down and sideways and within seconds the hopping stopped and it tracked smoothly.

Fluid film will not damage plastic or rubber and it will not conduct electricity. So we shall see if this lasts. I gave a light shot to other plastic moving areas behind the mirror platform that were contacting and moving against each other. if you look when you are activating the adjuster you will see what I mean.
Again I'm in So Cal and The FJ is garaged so I would think rigs in colder nastier climates may have this issue.
Thought I would throw this out there.
Everything is smooth as a baby's butt now.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I think they get stuck due to none use. I mean how often do you really have to move the mirrors :) On my 07 when it does it I just put the window down and move it around with my hand. After I do that the mirror will move on its own again. Hope that helps. :)

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,659 Posts
What @Sanderhawk said, and I’ll add that it happens to me when for “some” reason I’ve had to reinsert the mirror (and it happens to be at the extreme of its range of motion) and I begin to adjust to further in the same direction - it “bucks” till I either physically move the mirror or just back n forth it a few times with the control.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,659 Posts
Well, Charley B, so was I before joining this Forum...I’ve learned to do a lot here over the years - amazing the agony you’re willing to endure to get some things posted! People here have been so helpful both for online tech and (most importantly) FJ stuff :grin Let us know if your mirror issue is still an issue! We love mysterious new problems to troubleshoot :rocker:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Deb!
I pulled the passenger mirror and gave it a shot of Fluid Film just to be pro active . It beats "a bigger hammer" solution such as just grabbing the mirror and yanking on it , which will probably cause issues down the road , like a flopping mirror . I actually use my driver mirror control every time I drive the beast. I think the rubber seal around the turning pistons was just drying out.Fluid Film is awesome. From weather-izing to rust prevention to never failing to break loose any rust frozen bolt I have ever used it on. I even did a shot of it on a squeaking fan belt once and the squeaking stopped. No, the belt did not slip . It acted like a dressing.
I will take a can of that to a roll of Duct Tape ANYTIME. Just don't tell my Ol' man. He has a lot of stock in WD40.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts