Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was inspired by a thread to install some oznium LED lights to replace the dome light. when i was installing in, it seemed that the rear dome light had turned off. I thought it just timed out, yet the doors were still open. that was just the beginning. here's the rest of odditites.

when i went to fire up the truck, i noticed that the clock wasn't working. I turned on the headlights, and it turned on. but when i turned the headlights off, the clock went off as well.

the compass displays "COMPASS" which it didn't before (asking me to recalibrate?) so the compass just spins whatever way it wants.

the dome lights dont work at all

my trip odometer was reset. i drove it last night, and it tach'd on 00.1 miles... in my mind "cool it's still working". i drove to work this AM, and realized it reset back to 00.0 wow. kind of concerned now. This tells me that the electronics system shuts off and resets when the key is removed?

as i was walking towards the building, i fired the door locks. didn't respond. no beep, chirp, or even sound of the doors locking.

there may be more small issues going on, but i didn't attempt to find anything new other than what was in front of me.

so this is my ordeal. anyone know of a fix? any fuses that may need to be replaced? i still have 10,000 til my warranty expires, so should i visit the dealer? and if so, should i remove my non stock electrical additions?

thanks guys
~~
update: SCAN GUAGE SAYS NO CODES FOUND.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Stange days indeed!

The only thing that comes to mind would be to dis-connect the battery for a short time to see if something resets, like rebooting the computer.

Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
94 Posts
It sounds like you simply caused a short circuit and blew a fuse. The LED replacement might be bad. There's a fuse panel under the steering wheel and in the engine compartment. You probably want to pull the engine compartment fuse #16 (interior lights, clock, meters...). Its a 10 amp fuse and there are 2 spare 10 amp fuses in location 1 and 2. The engine compartment fuse box is on the driver's side over the wheel well. Its the larger black box, the top just has some clips on the sides, I believe. The owner's manual documents all of the fuses.

Don't forget to remove the LED dome light or you'll probably just blow the fuse again.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Check the fuses.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I installed a set of LED lights, and I'm having the EXACT same problems you posted about. Clock not working, compass, interior lights etc. I checked the fuses, all OK. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes. I replaced the stock light bulbs, and I'm ready to take it to the dealer. Anyone know about this problem?

Postee

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
When you put the bulbs back in, is all good?

You checked every single fuse, even the stuff under the hood?

It sounds like something was shorted, but I do believe you if you say no fuses are blown...

·
Registered
165 Posts
No, with the old bulbs back in, the same problems happen. I checked all the fuses in the 2 fuse boxes that had anything to do with the interior. In particular the one marked "dome" in the engine bay which is for the dome lights and such. This fuse has no visible means of inspection, so i swapped it out for another one from the fuse box. No improvement.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bump. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
None. I'd suggest taking it to the dealer and claiming to know nothing. :D

Did East Bay Eff Jay ever get his sorted out? Might be worth dropping a PM.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I did send him a PM, but I haven't heard anything back yet. If I have to, I'll take it in to the dealer and play dumb. I'm good at it, somehow it's just natural. :jester:

Postee

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ok, closure for anyone reading this thread in the future. I took it to the dealer, and they SAY they replaced the 10 amp DOME fuse in the engine compartment. I swapped out this fuse with another one from the fusebox, (airbag i think, also 10 amp) and it didn't work. So anyways, apparently it was the fuse, and it needed the magic, dealer-installed fuse to fix it. :thinkerg:

BTW no charge, under warranty. :clap:

I'm off the LED lights now though.

Postee

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Ok, closure for anyone reading this thread in the future. I took it to the dealer, and they SAY they replaced the 10 amp DOME fuse in the engine compartment. I swapped out this fuse with another one from the fusebox, (airbag i think, also 10 amp) and it didn't work. So anyways, apparently it was the fuse, and it needed the magic, dealer-installed fuse to fix it. :thinkerg:

BTW no charge, under warranty. :clap:

I'm off the LED lights now though.

Postee
Those darned magicians and their magic parts... :rofl:

At least it's all good now! :rocker:

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I just hate it when stupid happens but it does, I have been there many times and decide to take it in and it was the one thing i forgot to check.. or i hear(oh it's supposed to do that) Glad you got it fixed..:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Those darned magicians and their magic parts... :rofl:

At least it's all good now! :rocker:

Yah, I guess that's why they wear those funny hats with all the stars and moons on them.
And those wand-shaped wrenches, I never noticed before....
So THAT's why the labor prices are so high at the dealership. Harry Potter works there! :jester:
damn it, i should have got his autograph!! :flame:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts