Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have the factory tow package and I’d like to install an electronic brake controller so that I can tow a pop-up camper. I understand that there’s a factory connection plug somewhere under the dash, but I can’t find it. I’ve also looked inside the kick plate on the left side of the driver’s legs. Does anyone know if this connector exists and, if so, where I can find it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
@DogDaddy ,
If you want to install electric brakes you have to install a 7-pin connector and wire it accordingly. Depending on your mechanical/electrical wiring abilities you can do it yourself, or you can have a shop do it for you. Attached is a wiring diagram for a Primus IQ controller I istalled in both my FJ's, most brake controllers come with a schematic and follow about the same rules, your controller may vary.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never found a connector under the dash, so I called a local rev place to have them check for a controller with an adapter part model. The 2007 year model requires hard-wiring vs. a plug in. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
@DogDaddy ,
If you want to install electric brakes you have to install a 7-pin connector and wire it accordingly. Depending on your mechanical/electrical wiring abilities you can do it yourself, or you can have a shop do it for you. Attached is a wiring diagram for a Primus IQ controller I istalled in both my FJ's, most brake controllers come with a schematic and follow about the same rules, your controller may vary.

Sorry to sidetrack but Doug where did you mount the 7pin plug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sorry to sidetrack but Doug where did you mount the 7pin plug?

When looking at the rear of the vehicle, it's to the left of the hitch. I used the bracket from the original 4-pin mount and it's bolted to the inside of the rear cross member. I re-drilled a hole in the bracket so it sits higher. I'll have to get a pic for you for reference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts