Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the threads and have found a few places where others have explained that the dealership can re-program the door controller to unlock all the doors with a single push of the button.

So I went to the local dealership to have them do this and they said "This is not possible, the information I got on the net is incorrect"

I am wondering if anybody has actually had their lock changed to a "one push to open all the doors" mode?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I've searched the threads and have found a few places where others have explained that the dealership can re-program the door controller to unlock all the doors with a single push of the button.

So I went to the local dealership to have them do this and they said "This is not possible, the information I got on the net is incorrect"

I am wondering if anybody has actually had their lock changed to a "one push to open all the doors" mode?

Cheers
The dealer is partially correct. I beilve this is possible on the early model FJC's, but Toyota stopped doing this on the newer models. In my buddies new 08 taco, he wanted to do the same thingsince his manula said he could. went to the dealer and they said no go and that it was avaible on the 06 and older toyotas and some 07's. Toytoa fazed it out in 07. Why, i'm not sure.

Can i ask why you would want to do this? Keep in mind that it is a saftey reason that you need to hit the button twice to open all doors. If your the only one trying to get in, you don't want a thief to be able to open up your passenger door and just jump in.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the owners manual tells you that this change can be done. Find the page in the book, and then show that to your dealer.
I found the page you reference (in the owner's manual pp12) and it states:

"the following adjustments can be made in this system:

1) Cancelling the wireless locking/unlocking function
2) Cancelling the flash of the turn signal lights
3) Changing the volume of beep sound
"

Don't show that to the dealer, just go in and punch him in the throat. :)

·
Registered
5,160 Posts

Cheers
Got a link to those threads?

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had this done on a 2008 TT SE, so it is possible. The dealer has to reprogram a chip on the FJ (not on the remote). They charged me 34.95 for the labor. I hate the two-click default, so for me the price was worth the convenience.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After a bit more searching and finding the pdf manuals I believe that this can be done. The door lock.pdf has this information.

Power door lock system:

Display item (UNLK/TWICE) = default is ON

Change default to OFF: Result is "one push" unlocks all doors.

So... this can only be done at the dealership with Toyota's programmer.

The other area could be "All doors unlock with transmitter" Not sure which parameter it is, but it should be able to be changed.

I'll be trying to get this changed very soon.

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,837 Posts
After a bit more searching and finding the pdf manuals I believe that this can be done. The door lock.pdf has this information.

Power door lock system:

Display item (UNLK/TWICE) = default is ON

Change default to OFF: Result is "one push" unlocks all doors.

So... this can only be done at the dealership with Toyota's programmer.

The other area could be "All doors unlock with transmitter" Not sure which parameter it is, but it should be able to be changed.

I'll be trying to get this changed very soon.
This method works! I've had my FJ since the spring of '06 and have been living with an aftermarket alarm system that would require several attempts at the unlock button on my key fob before all doors would unlock. This was a nuisance since it's not always convenient (when you have your hands full) and I would often times forget to unlock the doors as I was stepping out of the vehicle.

So, I just went to the dealer to have this done. First, I want to state that it was FREE. Although I purchased the FJ from the dealer and do have an extended warranty. Not that this is considered a warranty situation since nothing is broken. Anyway, Initially I wanted for them to set the locks so that when I turn off the ignition, all doors would automatically unlock. However, according to the Toyota manual, they stated that this option is not available. I'm here to state unequivocally that IT IS!

I do understand that this is a factory default security setting. However, I live in an area where I'm not concerned about intruders as I pull into a parking lot or near my home. What is important here is to ask the right question. The tech came back and stated that this is not an option but he was kind enough to print out what the factory options were for me. Perusing the list, I noticed that they can set the locks to unlock all doors when the remote key fob is pushed to unlock. The factory default is to unlock the driver's side door only.

I instructed the service manager to go ahead and set the factory default to the 'off' position. Again, this would allow for me to unlock all doors with the factory key fob, or in my case this would also work with my aftermarket alarm/key fob unlock button. To the best of my knowledge this type of feature needs to be done with the dealer's ECU programming device (although other mechanics that work on Toyota's may be able to do the same).

Here is what the mechanic should look for on the customize perameters page:

Item: UNLOCK/2 OPER
Default: ON
Contents: Function that unlocks driver side door when unlock switch on transmitter twice. If setting is OFF, pressing unlock switch once makes all doors unlock

To gain the feature of using the key fob to unlock all doors at once AND to permit all doors to unlock once the ignition key is removed, have him set this programmable parameter to the OFF option.

Once the re-programming was complete, it served a dual purpose. Now I can not only lock and unlock ALL doors with one push of my key fob, it will also unlock all doors when I turn the vehicle off and remove the key from the ignition switch.

This may seem elementary to some and clearly I should have done this years ago. However, in about 20 minutes one of my only gripes about my FJ has been solved for FREE!

If you've been looking to remedy this issue, don't waste another second. Highly reccomended!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a toyota tech, and YES you can program all the door locks to open with one key hit. You can do this for transmitter, indoor lock, and key door lock! I have a 09 FJ and programmed it myself. Some toyota models can be programmed without the techsteam scan tool, but the FJ must use the tool. As of right now all toyota models have custom settings that can be changed. Some cars have more than others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a toyota tech, and YES you can program all the door locks to open with one key hit. You can do this for transmitter, indoor lock, and key door lock! I have a 09 FJ and programmed it myself. Some toyota models can be programmed without the techsteam scan tool, but the FJ must use the tool. As of right now all toyota models have custom settings that can be changed. Some cars have more than others.
hey Tarmac, I have 2014 FJ Cruiser -Can remote be reprogrammed to one push open drivers side only, 2 push open all other doors?

My Toyota dealer said no, but I suspect they are just being lazy....

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
5 year old dead thread....

·
Registered
196 Posts
What would be the norm for a dealer to charge for this?
Another data point. After inquiring about having this done I was quoted 1/2 labor but I didn't get anything official. When I went in to have it done I was quoted 1 hour of labor and charged that.

Funny thing was after about 10 minutes in the waiting room, the service advisor asked me about some of the settings I requested. I have a 2012 and was working with the 2007-2010 information.
They could have waited at least a 1/2 hour and made me think it took longer than 15 minutes. :lol:

Now, I also had the lock/unlock beep removed and the door relock timer extended and maybe something else. I hate all that sh.. uh, stuff so even though I was screwed it was totally worth it for me.

I hope you can get it for free, maybe with other work. But don't pay more than 1/2 shop labor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used to have an old Chinese pirated version of techstream I bought off Amazon for like $35-$40. It came with the cable to hook from your laptop to your car. It was an old version so I had to have WindowsXP for it to work. I was able to change all kinds of settings in my 2013 Tundra with it. You might be able to still fin on Amazon. Maybe they have newer pirated versions that don't require WindowsXP.

·
Registered
2014TT & 2012TT
1,666 Posts
What would be the norm for a dealer to charge for this?
Another data point. After inquiring about having this done I was quoted 1/2 labor but I didn't get anything official. When I went in to have it done I was quoted 1 hour of labor and charged that.

Funny thing was after about 10 minutes in the waiting room, the service advisor asked me about some of the settings I requested. I have a 2012 and was working with the 2007-2010 information.
They could have waited at least a 1/2 hour and made me think it took longer than 15 minutes.

Now, I also had the lock/unlock beep removed and the door relock timer extended and maybe something else. I hate all that sh.. uh, stuff so even though I was screwed it was totally worth it for me.

I hope you can get it for free, maybe with other work. But don't pay more than 1/2 shop labor.
Thanks. Definitely wont be free

So what was your total?

Thank you

1 - 20 of 28 Posts