Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I curious if anybody has any type of spreadsheet or something along those lines, to keep track of MPG, oil changes, tire rotation, etc.? I know, I know i'm a big geek, but I find good records can be invaluable. I found one doing a google search, but it was more or less a spreadsheet form of the "Schedulde Maintenance Guide," which is a good place to start, but just curious if any one had anything better already.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
seanshank-

many good ideas:)

This is an interesting topic as you can tell by the number of views you already have. However, because many folks have different data requirements or have events that are more important to themselves, you probably don't see much input. Sure there is some stuff out there that you find from :google:, but my suggestion is just to do up the stuff that is important to you on excel or whatever your favorite dB is.

And when you do, maybe you care to share it with us here on the forums? :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am a spreadsheet junkie...

I have a simple gas mileage spreadsheet that I have used since day one with the FJC. I also keep a very very simple maintenance spreadsheet.

If you are interested i will email them to you. Just PM me.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I use a auto oriented maintenance management system; had it for at least 10 years now (so long, I think the software vendor is out of business). I like that it keeps an icon in my task tray that notifies me when something is due ... oill change, furnace filters (home), etc. If you do a quick search, you will find a bunch that sell for $30-$50.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Interesting topic. I have been giving this a lot of thought but have not done anything yet. Below is a list of things that I would include.

• Tracking of services and mile so that is can produce a full service record. Also, track moods.
  • Print out tear sheets for standard maintenance that include things like tools required, amount of oil & manufacture filter numbers.
  • Graphs to measure the miles you have traveled over time and the time of the various maintenance & repairs... also total operating costs including things like oil and filters.
  • Reminders for when the next scheduled maintenance is required.
Theoretically, this could replace that book that came with the FJ. I think Toyota has an online tool that does some of this stuff but it is not oriented to the DIYer.

I never thought of tracking mileage because I don't like to think about that but it could be done easily enough.

What else would be helpful to people? I could probably toss something together if my workload ever slows down but it would take a while. Making something useful would take me a while and I'm another big fan of Excel. My only real concern is that it is always a bad idea to build an excel tool when you don’t have all of the data.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have a spreadsheet for it, 'cause it's easy to track and total that way. Also expandable for notes.

It's a flat file, like this:

5K 10K 15K 20K 25K 30K Cost
Oil & filter x x x x x x (add in $$ for svc)
Tire rotation x x x
Air filter x x
Fuel filter x x
PCV x x

Not hard, not complicated.

I plan to add the second sheet in the same spreadsheet, with mileage, once I actually do the data entry (I currently jot it down in a notebook I keep in the car).

Sandi

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Interesting topic.

Theoretically, this could replace that book that came with the FJ. I think Toyota has an online tool that does some of this stuff but it is not oriented to the DIYer.
Toyota does have a site called my toyota where I keep a record of my oil changes which works for me. Begin

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I use my spreadsheet every week when I gas up.
It also has a maint. section on it, but it needs to have more stuff added to it on the maint tab.

I did not make the sheet, someone on my forum did.
Anyone wanna take a stab at making it better?

http://www.pnw4runners.com/index.php?dir=fj/&file=fjc_mpg_maint.xls
This one here has not been updated online, but mine at home gets updated weekly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Funny to read this as I have just started workin on one in Quattro Pro....still tweakin it so if yall want any thing added let me know and I will add it

·
Registered
217 Posts
Funny to read this as I have just started workin on one in Quattro Pro....still tweakin it so if yall want any thing added let me know and I will add it

Quattro Pro? I wonder if it will convert over to Excel smoothly. I'm working on something but it is probably a lot more complicated than people are really looking for. I'd love to take a look at what you have so far.

·
Registered
560 Posts
There are quite a few of these applications in existence already. They run about $30 - $50 so I'm not sure how much time it's worth writing something from scratch.

Here is a not so clear screen shot of the one I use:

Service.jpg

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
So what is the name of the one you use and can you download it?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a product called autodoit (yeah, nice name I know). I just took a look on the web and they don't seem to be around anymore.

If you google "auto maintenance shareware" you will find a bunch of products to choose from - most let you download and try them out before you have to pay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts