Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone point me to a thread that explains how to add an external oil pressure gauge to my bypass filter? Interested in what parts are needed and where to get them.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Oh, since I noticed your posting in the Pareto Point bypass kit thread, there are extra NPT ports on the Top Dog adapter, although they're not accessible with the lip on the oil filter mount. Another option would be to tap into the Top Dog adapter too... either by putting a T into the bypass filter lines or cutting/drilling the filter mount lip thing to gain access to the extra ports on the Top Dog... hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
434 Posts
This is a pretty cool way to go about it as well but pricey. Makes the dash pod way more useful than it is currently. It's on my list as a possible.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
There are basically three options for locations to add an oil pressure sensor:

• T-off the OEM low pressure sending unit(I bought an NISsport adapter). Not really possible if you have a supercharger though. There just isn't any room, the SC belt is too close. :(
  • T-off an oil bypass or cooler adapter. The PP adapter has two NPT ports, but they are blocked by the oil catch lip. :(
  • Another option is to remove the 1/2" BSPT plug(allen head) under the oil filter bracket and replace it with a 1/2" NPT to female 1/8 NPT" adapter. Make sure you get a brass one, NOT the aluminum ones. BSPT and NPT are different thread pitches but the same threads per inch so just make it tight and you are good. I learned about the BSPT plug on the x-runner forum, although the majority of them t-off their oil cooler adapter.

[edit] Just took a closer look at the 1/2" BSPT plug. Using this plug also has issue for me as the radiator hose is too close and there is no room for a sensor unless the hose can be adjusted. :( I guess I will have to look into ting-off the PP adapter or the bypass adapter. The bypass adapter makes the most sense.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Here is my current idea for where to put the oil pressure sensor and hose routing(although I will probably move the sensor to the "out" side of the bypass). Not sure if the hose routing is going to work. I keep forgetting how snug everything is in there.

]

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where are you mounting the gauge? I already have a fuel gauge on the left vent panel with no more room there.

Here is my current idea for where to put the oil pressure sensor and hose routing(although I will probably move the sensor to the "out" side of the bypass). Not sure if the hose routing is going to work. I keep forgetting how snug everything is in there.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Where are you mounting the gauge? I already have a fuel gauge on the left vent panel with no more room there.
I have 6 analog inputs with these three gauges. I'll have oil, boost, air temp (inside/outside), and perhaps I'll add Air/Fuel ratio later.

My left vent panel is full too.

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
Why would you want to mount the oil pressure sensor on the O/P of the Bypass filter? That would seem to be the worst place to mount it if you want accurate readings.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Isn't the pressure the same throughout the system?

Why would you want to mount the oil pressure sensor on the O/P of the Bypass filter? That would seem to be the worst place to mount it if you want accurate readings.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
Maybe it does, but I'm not a hydraulic engineer (there probably are a few on this vast forum, I hope they chime in). The way I see it, the line after the bypass filter sees very limited flow after going thru a restriction (the bypass filter), that line then feeds back into a pressurized return line (so maybe your right?).

I haven't studied the Pareto adapter with as much detail as I should. I assume the 'OUT' line from the Pareto filter adapter is 'before' any filtering at all (even by the primary main filter)?, and that the 'IN' line to the Pareto feeds into the already filtered oil side?

I know the Amsoil Bypass systems just dumps the O/P from the Bypass Filter into the valve cover or oil pan and those don't reflect system pressures (on the O/P side of the bypass).

I hope someone smarter than I can clear this up.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I also had a second thought about using the bypass filter lines as the source for the pressure gauge, DEWFPO is just more vocal. I'm planning to use the factory sender port though... I hope someone smarter than me clears that up too, just for curiosities sake.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does look great. i am pretty maxed out on my leads though the enginewall grommet. A couple questions:

How do you attach a water gauge?

What is the minimum lines/gauge that pass through the grommet?

I prefer Autometer Phantom and those use regular non LED retro lights. What gauges did he use?

I'm going this direction with the gauges themselves: Toyota Truck Gauge Mounting Kit

I'll be moving my scangauge, which is currently right on top of the steering column.

BDFJ already has it installed, it looks terrific. I'm using Autometer Phantom gauges though.

I'll post pictures when I get it going, I'm just waiting on a part at this point... and a little time to actually do it... :rofl:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
BDFJ used Marshall gauges, I believe Craven Speed does primarily Mini Cooper stuff... and they use Marshall for those a lot because they have a similar style.

With the electronic senders, you'll need at minimum 1 lead per gauge from the sender to the gauge. You can ground it in the cabin somewhere.

A water gauge would need a similar sending unit as the oil pressure setup, but instead of a pressure sender, it would be a temp sender (and obviously a good place to plumb it in the system). The Scangauge II does water temp though, I've found it to be very adequate in that regard. I'm doing oil pressure and trans temp personally.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a Scangauge so maybe trans temp if that is easy. Wish Craven made a mount with one gauge! I can probably get two leads through!

BDFJ used Marshall gauges, I believe Craven Speed does primarily Mini Cooper stuff... and they use Marshall for those a lot because they have a similar style.

With the electronic senders, you'll need at minimum 1 lead per gauge from the sender to the gauge. You can ground it in the cabin somewhere.

A water gauge would need a similar sending unit as the oil pressure setup, but instead of a pressure sender, it would be a temp sender (and obviously a good place to plumb it in the system). The Scangauge II does water temp though, I've found it to be very adequate in that regard. I'm doing oil pressure and trans temp personally.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
This should be all the parts you need to split the factory BSPT oil port (near the filter) into two ports. You'll end up with one BSPT port for the factory sender/idiot light, and one NPT port for an aftermarket gauge. This includes a foot of tubing to locate the senders away from the port on the block and keep the weight off. I chose all stainless steel parts, you can probably do it a little cheaper with brass, but I like stainless steel.

McMaster-Carr part numbers:
2x : 5672K21 - 1/8'' BSPT male to Yor-Lok adapter - $9.02ea
1x : 89895K212 - 1/8'' outside diameter tubing - $9.21ea
1x : 4810T141 - 1/8'' BSPT all female t - $5.78ea
1x : 4092K11 - 1/8'' BSPT male to 1/8'' NPT female adapter - $8.32ea

Total: $41.35 - any taxes and shipping is extra

You'll need to bend the tubing to fit your needs, any auto parts store should have the tools available. You can do it with your hands if you're really careful (it's easy to kink). Take your time either way, patience is pretty key when bending tubing, especially stuff this small. I chose these fittings because you don't need a flare tool. All sleeves and nuts should be included with the adapters.

Other than that, you'll probably want some thread tape between adapters/fittings.

Anyway, I've got the parts in the mail to me... I'll let you know if something goes awry. Maybe I'll post pictures or something.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I also found this while searching around:
stealthmode//performance

I emailed about it, and they are out of stock right now, but will be getting more. It would still be appropriate to relocate it with some tubing, just another alternative that saves a few bucks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts