Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to my local SD plastic store (Ridout plastics and they also sell online) and picked up 1 vinblkpm.010 for $13.70 which was esentially a very thin sheet of ABS plastic. It has a rough side (which matches the bumper) and a very smooth shiny side.

This was for a 2'x4' piece. Stiff enough to hold its shape. but flexible enough to bend with the bumper. I believe it is 1/32 of an inch thick.

Step 1) remove your front bumper wings and smooth the area (with an x-acto knife)

step 2) cut a piece of plastic to fit the opening, its ok if it doesnt lay flat against the bumper because it will have black silicon behind it. This is up to your discretion on the best fit.

step 3) lay a layer of silicon down (I did this in large long beeds) and press the plastic sheet down till its flush with the bumper. If you have loose area where the silicon doesnt hold it down flush enough then lift it up and squeeze a little behind it.

step 4) If you get silicon on the front its ok, it can easily be removed when dry.

step 5) (optional)... since I painted my front bumper I painted them also. They match nearly 100% and painting is not necessary if you get a good fit. You should have enough material to make plenty of mistakes.

Here are some pics to help. The first two pictures show the two different sides of the plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Re: eliminating your bumper wing (20 bucks)

easelman, thanks for the writeup. That looks pretty nice, almost like it came from the factory like it.

·
Registered
163 Posts

That looks better than any aftermarket stuff I've seen for sale.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

Great job.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

I like it! Great solution and nice price too.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts

I'm not a big fan of how wingless stock FJ bumpers look, but this is the best solution that I've seen so far on this forum. Good job!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

I'm not a big fan of how wingless stock FJ bumpers look, but this is the best solution that I've seen so far on this forum. Good job!
Me either, but for me it's a matter of economics.

If I could afford an after market bumper I'd have one. You have to do something after you break off those dumb plastic POS, at least to hide the slots.

It's good to have alternatives and options. Everyone has different tastes.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts

Me either, but for me it's a matter of economics.

If I could afford an after market bumper I'd have one. You have to do something after you break off those dumb plastic POS, at least to hide the slots.

It's good to have alternatives and options. Everyone has different tastes.
Very true, me too. And, if I manage to rip one or both of the wings off of my FJ before I get my tube-bumper built, I will definitely use this mod. :rocker:

·
Registered
3,662 Posts

Nice solution, your BD is looking hella mean all blacked out!

·
Registered
594 Posts

Best looking solution so far.
Great job.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks for all the feedback. I finally made the stickies! wait till I tell my wife she will be ecstatic...

I have an offer to make to anyone...

If you look at the picture, I have a winch but I didnt wire it yet. Its a bit intimidating for a fabricator like me (painting and cutting are no problems) but if anyone is interested in trading talents. I would be happy to cut and install the anti-bumper wings in exchange for a wired winch.

I'm in SD.

If not, I gave you the order number and you can call the plastic place or check them out online go get your own.

P.S. My original thought was to add lights in those area but would have to fab up a cylindrical mount. Not a problem if I had some lights or at least dimensions.

·
Registered
228 Posts

I went down to my local SD plastic store (Ridout plastics and they also sell online) and picked up 1 vinblkpm.010 for $13.70 which was esentially a very thin sheet of ABS plastic. It has a rough side (which matches the bumper) and a very smooth shiny side.

This was for a 2'x4' piece. Stiff enough to hold its shape. but flexible enough to bend with the bumper. I believe it is 1/32 of an inch thick.

Step 1) remove your front bumper wings and smooth the area (with an x-acto knife)

step 2) cut a piece of plastic to fit the opening, its ok if it doesnt lay flat against the bumper because it will have black silicon behind it. This is up to your discretion on the best fit.

step 3) lay a layer of silicon down (I did this in large long beeds) and press the plastic sheet down till its flush with the bumper. If you have loose area where the silicon doesnt hold it down flush enough then lift it up and squeeze a little behind it.

step 4) If you get silicon on the front its ok, it can easily be removed when dry.

step 5) (optional)... since I painted my front bumper I painted them also. They match nearly 100% and painting is not necessary if you get a good fit. You should have enough material to make plenty of mistakes.

Here are some pics to help. The first two pictures show the two different sides of the plastic.
Awesome write up!

·
Registered
450 Posts

Nice work! Innovative and economical! Two thumbs up!

·
Registered
81 Posts

I actually got into a small fender bender and jacked up my FJ.

Could I buy someone's old front right bumper wing?

David
PM me if interested

1 - 20 of 69 Posts