Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~~ This question is for lifts under 6" ~~

Unless you are less than 4 feet tall, you should be able to reach anything on your roof rack by standing on a tire, the door sill or on the back of the bumper/cargo area, so why do people get ladders? (This is an honest question, I don't understand the need.)

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
yes, i know i have a 6" lif (and no rack either), but...

makes it easier to climb up on top of the roof. some roof racks can support large people! there are pictures on this forum of people standing on their roof racks to take pictures and what not...

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
~~ This question is for lifts under 6" ~~

Unless you are less than 4 feet tall, you should be able to reach anything on your roof rack by standing on a tire, the door sill or on the back of the bumper/cargo area, so why do people get ladders? (This is an honest question, I don't understand the need.)
For the stock roof rack, I agree. If you have an aftermarket rack with much more usable space and a real floor, then you just about have to climb up on top of it to efficiently pack it and use all the space. To be honest, I didn't think I would need one even with my Gobi Ranger rack - but it came with one free, and now I see the real value of it.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
They do aid in climbing completely up onto the roof. If we're honest though, people get them because they look cool. ;)
:cheers: they do look cool

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
They do aid in climbing completely up onto the roof. If we're honest though, people get them because they look cool. ;)
x2

though I also like being able to open my back window so I have been debating getting rid of mine. But I do think it looks cool

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
x2

though I also like being able to open my back window so I have been debating getting rid of mine. But I do think it looks cool
That's why I wont get one of the current design. If they come out with one that will allow me to open the rear window, I'll consider it.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
I use it every time I access my HiLift, axe, shovel, spare water/fuel cans - all of them are on the back of my stock roof rack. Makes it MUCH easier to get up there. Why struggle to get up there while lifting something heavy and awkward?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
we use ours for access to our spare :bigthumb:

oh yeah, and for the kids jungle gym :lol:

·
Registered
717 Posts
besides making it easier to get up on the roof rack, they also make a great place to hang stuff while the FJ is sitting still, the bad part is if you forget and it falls off then it is lost

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Great thread -- but all this begs the question...can one stand on the OEM roof rack? Meaning the thinner cross bars....I gotta believe the beefy side rails can take it.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Can you at least crack open the window a couple inches to get some fresh air?
The rear window opens?

Joking. It'll crack. Installed ladder with Gobi rack for access to fully floored rack, and was planning to use ladder for hi lift mount.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
Great thread -- but all this begs the question...can one stand on the OEM roof rack? Meaning the thinner cross bars....I gotta believe the beefy side rails can take it.
Hmm. I don't risk it. Only the main metal bars and then on to the Gavin mini-rack cage I have up front.

Can you at least crack open the window a couple inches to get some fresh air?
Nope. Tiny rear window is dead after ladder.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
My ladder came w/my Gobi Stealth rack, but I used it the other day to get up on the rack and properly tie down a bundle of 2x4's on center. Bummer about the window though, my Boxers would really like it open.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
When I bought my ladder I was also looking around at tires a lot and paying attention to posts on here about whether people were still able to open their window with this or that tire. Never ever crossed my mind about the ladder :lol: When I finished my ladder install and stepped back to take in how cool my FJ looked ;) then realized......"oh, well, guess I don't have to worry about tired blocking the window now" :lol:

You could crack the window a tiny bit but it's not going to help anything. Plus you would want to put something between the window and the ladder cos the window will rattle against the ladder.

Cap'n, I agree, it would be nice to have a ladder that allowed the window to open. But I don't see how they could make one without seriously sacrificing structural strength. I guess they could have the top of the ladder on some hinges of some sort and allow the bottom to be detached so you could lift it up then open the window. A swing-up ladder. They could probably do that and still have it be pretty strong.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts