Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's embarrassing but I bought my FJ a little over a year ago sight unseen ('10 with 32k miles) as my neighbor is the manager for a used dealer and he found it at an auction for me. To add to that, I'm not very savvy to all this stuff but it was all done up. Problem is, I have no idea what all mods were done. I'm hoping you can help identify what's been done and if possible, brand.

Things I believe have been done I Clyde a Demello front bumper, the wheels (I just put these on), suspension and front control arms.

Any additional help is greatly appreciated. If you need more pics, I'll be glad to take pics of.

Front wheels:

Rear wheels:

Rear:

Engine:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Think I found a gem here.

A couple weeks before getting this one, I bought one through Carvana and that thing had a decent amount of rust. Thankfully, they offered a week no questions asked money back guarantee so back she went. Here are some pics.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,902 Posts
Congrats on your excellent trade up! X2 on those being SPC Light Racing UCAs. If you can post pics of the tops of the shocks we might be able to identify.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks like you’ve got a healthy amount of coolant spray under the hood, I would evaluate that unless it’s been a documented repair, though I have no experience with the h20 pump replacement on this engine, leaks always cause concern imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pro comp paints thier springs white.
But thats just a guess based upon color.
The springs are actually silver (look unpainted) with a light amount of surface rust that I'm sure can be cleaned up easily.

Looks like you’ve got a healthy amount of coolant spray under the hood, I would evaluate that unless it’s been a documented repair, though I have no experience with the h20 pump replacement on this engine, leaks always cause concern imo.

Where do you see coolant spray under the hood. Carfax was clean and no service history docs. FJ is parked in my driveway daily and no leaks or puddles have been left behind...at least since I've owned it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats on your excellent trade up! X2 on those being SPC Light Racing UCAs. If you can post pics of the tops of the shocks we might be able to identify.
What part of the shocks would I need pics of? All the way at the top?

·
Registered
193 Posts

Now I apologize if this is some sort of northern rust belt phenom, but to me this looks like coolant spray, specifically because it also appears on the underside of the plastic intake hose and plastic doesn’t corrode.

Hopefully I am incorrect, either way I would have a look and confirm h20 pump isn’t leaking and/or faulty hose/hose clamp.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Looks like the stock Tokico shock with an aftermarket spring to lift it. The top hat on the strut looks stock. If I were to guess, I would say Rough Country springs as they use Silver ones....but could be someone else. The good news is they didn't do the typical cheap approach by using a spacer lift. Looks like they replaced the springs all around (front and rear) with aftermarket to achieve about a 2-3" lift from the looks of it. The SPC upper control arms are a nice addition. Pay attention to the bushings for wear (SPC have upgraded to XAxis bushings and they have upgraded to greasable ball joints). Cant quite tell if your ball joints are the grease-able kind as you dont have a shot showing the top of the upper ball joint in the SPC upper control arms. If they are the non-greaseable kind, there are a number of reports of these wearing out within 25-30K miles. SPC now offers greaseable ones that are sold separately.

Demello front bumper is nice. Very expensive. They offer both steel and aluminum....if its the alum one....even more big ticket item.

The sidesteps are aftermarket items and if you actually go 4 wheeling, I would recommend removing so you don't snag those on rocks. They are often bolted to the body (rather than the frame) which can cause additional damage if you hit any rocks. The upgrade there to consider is aftermarket rock sliders that bolt to the frame (if you do some serious wheeling). Along with upgraded skid plates and body armor on the underside (again, only if you do any real offroading).

I like the look of silver body color with red wheels.

Blue battery looks to be an aftermarket Panasonic which is interesting since it seems no one can find replacements for the original Panasonics that seemingly last forever (currently going on 10 years with my OEM Panasonic battery in my 2010).

I think the reference to coolant overspray is the bright green fluid in the reservoir on the passenger side under the hood. That is not the stock location for the windshield washer fluid container. Looks to be an aftermarket version that was added along with the Demello front bumper (removal of OEM bumper on 2010+ reveals the bottom of the OEM windshield washer container that looks unsightly and can be damaged when wheeling it). Not sure what kind of windshield washer fluid is bright green ....but assume that it is the washer fluid container.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Now I apologize if this is some sort of northern rust belt phenom, but to me this looks like coolant spray, specifically because it also appears on the underside of the plastic intake hose and plastic doesn’t corrode.

Hopefully I am incorrect, either way I would have a look and confirm h20 pump isn’t leaking and/or faulty hose/hose clamp.

Thanks for the pic to help identify what you're referring to. I believe that is just dust, but I will take a look and double check.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like the stock Tokico shock with an aftermarket spring to lift it. The top hat on the strut looks stock. If I were to guess, I would say Rough Country springs as they use Silver ones....but could be someone else. The good news is they didn't do the typical cheap approach by using a spacer lift. Looks like they replaced the springs all around (front and rear) with aftermarket to achieve about a 2-3" lift from the looks of it. The SPC upper control arms are a nice addition. Pay attention to the bushings for wear (SPC have upgraded to XAxis bushings and they have upgraded to greasable ball joints). Cant quite tell if your ball joints are the grease-able kind as you dont have a shot showing the top of the upper ball joint in the SPC upper control arms. If they are the non-greaseable kind, there are a number of reports of these wearing out within 25-30K miles. SPC now offers greaseable ones that are sold separately.

Demello front bumper is nice. Very expensive. They offer both steel and aluminum....if its the alum one....even more big ticket item.

The sidesteps are aftermarket items and if you actually go 4 wheeling, I would recommend removing so you don't snag those on rocks. They are often bolted to the body (rather than the frame) which can cause additional damage if you hit any rocks. The upgrade there to consider is aftermarket rock sliders that bolt to the frame (if you do some serious wheeling). Along with upgraded skid plates and body armor on the underside (again, only if you do any real offroading).

I like the look of silver body color with red wheels.

Blue battery looks to be an aftermarket Panasonic which is interesting since it seems no one can find replacements for the original Panasonics that seemingly last forever (currently going on 10 years with my OEM Panasonic battery in my 2010).

I think the reference to coolant overspray is the bright green fluid in the reservoir on the passenger side under the hood. That is not the stock location for the windshield washer fluid container. Looks to be an aftermarket version that was added along with the Demello front bumper (removal of OEM bumper on 2010+ reveals the bottom of the OEM windshield washer container that looks unsightly and can be damaged when wheeling it). Not sure what kind of windshield washer fluid is bright green ....but assume that it is the washer fluid container.
Thanks a ton for all this info! I will have to do some more research on the info above and see if I can't get a pic of the upper ball joint in the SPC UCA.

I believe the Demello bumper is steel as there's a little bit of surface rust mainly around the lights, but not bad at all.

I think the body was painted at some point in it's life. The VIN color is silver, but it's more of the charcoal grey color you see on the TT and the top is painted black as well. Could be wrong on that though. I really like the addition of the new red wheels as it adds some life/character to the FJ. Not that it looked bad with the other wheels, but just a little more fun. I can also say that the road comfort is a ton better with the new wheels. I don't know if the other ones were just cheap, damaged, or a combo of the two, but it was not fun driving it on the freeways.

I take it that having the blue battery is a nice bonus then.

I don't believe this is overspray as I stated earlier but will confirm. I was curious what the green container was for as it's not tied down or anything (just sitting there), but that's the container color not the fluid itself.

As far as the side steps, those are next on my to do of replacing. Some of the powder coating has chipped away and rust has built, so I'm looking to replace it with some rock sliders. Looking at the Demello tube, PureFJ (by All-Pro), or Trail Gear. Leaning towards the first two over the latter at the moment. I also want to replace the head unit with an aftermarket one to add bluetooth capabilities, as well as the backup camera at the HU instead of the rear view mirror as it is today.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really want to get into off roading and have some fun with my FJ, but I'd feel more comfortable having someone do a once over to make sure everything is in good shape. Would you recommend going in to Toyota or an offroading shop to look it over and provide input?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Definitely not dust, definitely not referencing green windshield washer fluid....

You see all the white spots on your block? That is what dried coolant looks like and that is what I was referencing, I even circled it in red and I don’t know how to be any more specific.

·
Admin
6,868 Posts
If that washer bottle isn't tied down / bolted down... and you plan on offroading.... remedy that situation prior to going offroad.

Congrats on the "new" FJ and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely not dust, definitely not referencing green windshield washer fluid....

You see all the white spots on your block? That is what dried coolant looks like and that is what I was referencing, I even circled it in red and I don’t know how to be any more specific.

Thank you for catching that. I just went to my FJ and definitely not dust as you said. I can rub it out somewhat with my finger, but still all there. I'll take that in for a look. Here's a more close up of what you were referencing.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts