Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Yes, I agree. It didn't occur to me to use open wrenches and thank you for the suggestion. I'm self-admittedly not great at this stuff, so I'm learning and appreciate the input from you all on helping me through the learning curve. Good thing is that I'm a fairly quick study and not afraid to learn. Thanks again!

Edit: I will also note (foolishly), that I didn't realize that there were splash guards and were so easily removed until you all linked me to it. I am a noob at this stuff and don't have the knowledge, so what seems remedial to you does not to everyone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
When torquing down, marks the bolt/nut position and confirms that it hasn’t moved/loosened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Follow up stupid question...where do I make the marks? On the bolt and nut where it's visible and if I can't see it anymore, I know it's moved/loosened?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Follow up stupid question...where do I make the marks? On the bolt and nut where it's visible and if I can't see it anymore, I know it's moved/loosened?
Make one continuous mark from the bolt onto the control arm. If the line isn't lined up at any time, you know the bolt turned.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks for all the help. Turns out the passenger side was loose as well but not as bad as the driver's side. Both have been tightened with a torque wrench and marked with a line. It was a pain getting the wrench through the engine compartment especially on the passenger side but got them done.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey congrats man, you got it done! For the price if taking that to a mechanic to fix you now have a torque wrench and a better understanding of the front suspension

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Absolutely and appreciate all the help in me getting it done from everyone here!

Next two things to troubleshoot are the center dome light (bulb has been replaced with no luck) but the rear one works fine and the new wheels same tires as before and tire rubbing going in reverse with the steering wheel turned left.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Well if you changed your offsets on the new wheels, there’s a strong possibility that’s it

I understand that. What I don't understand is why it would be only in reverse and when the wheel is turned left. Seems like the driver's side front tire is rubbing against the frame. What I also don't know is how to fix it. The shop that fixed it told me it would mean either adjusting the frame (not going to do this) or wait until it's time to change tires and go to all terrain instead of mud terrain for the smaller nubs. 3rd option would be a lift for added clearance.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I understand that. What I don't understand is why it would be only in reverse and when the wheel is turned left. Seems like the driver's side front tire is rubbing against the frame. What I also don't know is how to fix it. The shop that fixed it told me it would mean either adjusting the frame (not going to do this) or wait until it's time to change tires and go to all terrain instead of mud terrain for the smaller nubs. 3rd option would be a lift for added clearance.
Well I’ll guess you’re in the drivers seat when this happens and you’re the only one in the vehicle? Full wheel lock left, reverse and your body weight with a worn suspension and oversized? mud tires isn’t too difficult to imagine rubbing.

Just noticed your FJ only has 32k miles, my theory wouldn’t hold

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Tires are 33" Nitto Grappler M/T and I'm not oversized. 😉

I've had others weighing more than me in the passenger side and it still happens but your point is taken. My added weight the suspension could be what tips it over the edge.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Here are some pics:

Driver's side pics with the tires cranked all the way left (I believe this is where it's rubbing):

Passenger's side with the tires cranked all the way right (I don't believe this side is rubbing):

@rparker017 - I don't have any mud flaps on, so I'm not sure that would work although it looks like a neat product.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Tires are 33" Nitto Grappler M/T and I'm not oversized.

I've had others weighing more than me in the passenger side and it still happens but your point is taken. My added weight the suspension could be what tips it over the edge.
Haha yes I wasn’t intending to imply you’re oversized, just uneven distribution of weight and normal front end squat during reverse “acceleration”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Haha yes I wasn’t intending to imply you’re oversized, just uneven distribution of weight and normal front end squat during reverse “acceleration”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I knew you weren't. I was just saying it in jest.

Based on earlier posts, it looks like the shocks are the OEM ones and if it's worn, would a new set of shocks assist with this or would I need a full set (i.e. coils, shocks, etc.)? I'm believe I have some sort of lift already (even if it's just a leveling lift kit so the front end isn't dipped down) and don't have the funds for the full lift kit at this point, so trying to see what would make most sense to do. Likewise, it would be to leave it as is and replace the tires to A/T at that point.

·
Registered
211 Posts
at 32k miles I would leave as-is till you actually need to fix something, which it certainly doesn’t seem like you do. It’s easy to get sucked into modifying things, but many times you end up creating new issues

Your FJ is highly capable in its current state

61 - 80 of 87 Posts