Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
It's up to 42k now (have had it for just over a year and got it at 32k). Yes, the modifying bug has definitely hit me, but will likely hold off for now and learn more about the various options and what I would want to do if and when the time comes to replace something. In the meantime, I'll just have to be more careful in reverse to minimize rubbing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's up to 42k now (have had it for just over a year and got it at 32k). Yes, the modifying bug has definitely hit me, but will likely hold off for now and learn more about the various options and what I would want to do if and when the time comes to replace something. In the meantime, I'll just have to be more careful in reverse to minimize rubbing.
I have no experience rubbing, but can’t imagine that minimal time spent in reverse is causing any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I would tend to agree. The other thing I noticed since tightening up the bolts on the UCAs is that the FJ is pulling a little left. It's not terrible, but noticeable. Will probably take that back to the shop for adjustment.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I think you already have a lift of a couple inches front and rear (based on the aftermarket springs and the stance from your pictures) , so my advice is to pursue the body mount chop (BMC). Google for BMC threads on FJs. Making sure the alignment is set to factory specs can often improve a rubbing situation.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I think you already have a lift of a couple inches front and rear (based on the aftermarket springs and the stance from your pictures) , so my advice is to pursue the body mount chop (BMC). Google for BMC threads on FJs. Making sure the alignment is set to factory specs can often improve a rubbing situation.
I'm going to avoid going the BMC for now. I'll head back to the shop and see if they can't get the alignment worked out first and see if that doesn't help. Didn't even think rubbing would be an issue. Yet another lesson learned for next time.

If it helps, here are the pics of my old wheels:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'm going to avoid going the BMC for now. I'll head back to the shop and see if they can't get the alignment worked out first and see if that doesn't help. Didn't even think rubbing would be an issue. Yet another lesson learned for next time.

If it helps, here are the pics of my old wheels:

View attachment 1119188
Not sure if you are saying with the old wheels and same size tires you didnt have rubbing when you reversed --- but that wouldnt surprise me especially if they have different backspacing. My guess is that you moved your wheels further outward toward the street side and when you do that, people can get some rubbing on the body mount. Stock wheel backspacing is 4.84". Not sure the backspacing on your old wheels or your new wheels (red), but just eyeballing the pictures is appears your new wheel/tire combo stick out further beyond the flares than did your black/silver wheel/tire combo.

A little late now but this is why it is best to factor in the lift, wheel size/diam, wheel backspacing, tires, aftermarket bumper/winch, and differential gearing decisions all at the same time even if you cant/dont buy at the same time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I had the old wheels (Ultra Motorsports) on with the same tires as on the new and didn't have any rubbing issues.

I'm sure you're right. Unfortunately, all of the work was done prior to me owning it and I didn't think it would be an issue with the new wheels so I just ordered them. Been trying to identify the old wheel specs but unable to pin down the model as it's an older one.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts