Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Admin
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A bit of fear-mongering in this video but it has older news clips relative to the topic.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Has there ever been a EMP blast? :)
Search for "Carrington Event" - not a nuclear EMP, but a solar flare EMP. Somewhat different in effects, but if this occurred today the outcome would be far more significant. Apparently we just missed a similar event a few years ago when a huge solar flare missed the earth by about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Cool I didn`t know that. I always here " What would happen if there was a EMP blast " but didn`t really know if there ever was one :)
Everyone is talking in this thread about EMP's specifically but here's fun fact. If a nuclear device of surprisingly small size were to go off above Kansas a couple miles up, most of the 48 connected states would be affected and our infrastructure would probably be ruined.

Man I love what the Air Force taught me :nerd

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
subscribed I store electronic gun sights, CB,FRS, SAT phone in unused microwaves, Don't know if "covers" discussed would protect FJ: but guessing I'd be target of hundreds, if not thousands if I ever took FJ out and they didn't have mobility!

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
"guessing I'd be target of hundreds, if not thousands if I ever took FJ out and they didn't have mobility!"

Good point, the most dangerous thing, in an apocalyptic aftermath, would be if you are the one with "stuff". Think about being a bright light at night and all of the bugs in the forest can see you, and want to be near you.

Much simpler to be vaporized in the first moment and get it over with (ever seen Viggo M. in "The Road"?).

Getting back to reality, the likelihood of a hurricane, or a flood (or tornado, etc.) happening to you, as a local, event, is far, far higher than zombie apocalypse EMP scenarios and preparing for something like the former gets you most of the way to preparedness for most anything else: learn basic first aid, keep your vehicle(s) in good running order, and so on.

N

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Norm, thanks for your input! Pretty well fixed for first aid, food, water: but only have 20 gal of stored fuel with Startron that I use and rotate every 3 months. Weapons and ammo a non issue, too. From military and LE experience, always fill up when I get down to 1/2 tank.

Still would appreciate input about weak points in suspension, etc. mentioned previously?

·
Desert Moderator
6,650 Posts
subscribed I store electronic gun sights, CB,FRS, SAT phone in unused microwaves, Don't know if "covers" discussed would protect FJ: but guessing I'd be target of hundreds, if not thousands if I ever took FJ out and they didn't have mobility!
Not once you're out of fuel...

·
Desert Moderator
6,650 Posts
Norm, thanks for your input! Pretty well fixed for first aid, food, water: but only have 20 gal of stored fuel with Startron that I use and rotate every 3 months. Weapons and ammo a non issue, too. From military and LE experience, always fill up when I get down to 1/2 tank.

Still would appreciate input about weak points in suspension, etc. mentioned previously?
Water. Lots and lots and lots of water.
Also - smokes for barter....

·
Registered
353 Posts
<snip>

Getting back to reality, the likelihood of a hurricane, or a flood (or tornado, etc.) happening to you, as a local, event, is far, far higher than zombie apocalypse EMP scenarios and preparing for something like the former gets you most of the way to preparedness for most anything else: learn basic first aid, keep your vehicle(s) in good running order, and so on.

N
While I'm anxiously awaiting any advisories on potential zombie apocalypse(s), in the meantime the US government (among others) has been at least studying the EMP phenomenon as a possible weapon:

https://oversight.house.gov/hearing/the-emp-threat-the-state-of-preparedness-against-the-threat-of-an-electromagnetic-pulse-event/

Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack

North Korea just the other day revealed their strategy to cause an EMP affecting the west coast of the US. It is to discount the EMP threat (both nuclear and solar) to associate it with zombie apocalypse and to trivialize it to compare it with local natural disasters. Preparedness for a flood or hurricane won't begin to be adequate for an EMP event, which, if it affects the entire US, would result in 90% mortality in the 1st year alone. I recommend reading up.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,868 Posts
Search for "Carrington Event" - not a nuclear EMP, but a solar flare EMP. Somewhat different in effects, but if this occurred today the outcome would be far more significant. Apparently we just missed a similar event a few years ago when a huge solar flare missed the earth by about 2 weeks.
I was reading up on another forum and one of the members asked if anyone has experienced anything unusual the last couple of days or so like headaches, not being able to sleep, weird feelings, etc. He said he was trying to do a little research about something and that he would tell them what it was later. (today). Several people came on and mentioned that they had sleep problems or little kids that acted weird like wanting to sleep with them for the first time in months or waking up like they had just had a bad dream. Lots of weird stuff with animals from dogs and cats to farm animals to the coyotes being vocal at weird times. They also mentioned a few other things. The came back and told them about another thread he had made a few days before and how it was a part of his questions and research and then mentioned about solar flares that have just happened and how some of the data was really high on the charts and then he posted a info sheet thing that showed possible things that could happen or be felt from these flares and it was stuff like headaches, blood pressure going higher than usual, etc. Kind of interesting how all of that works and is intertwined like that.

·
トヨタ Master
7,907 Posts
Water. Lots and lots and lots of water.
Also - smokes for barter....
Tobacco for sure. Don't forget liquor. Preferrably of the clear variety, meaning spirits particularly because it can be consumed, used to heal infection, and possibly run an engine. In times of good and times of bad, alcohol is #1 on folks' mind. If you got it, you've got trade power. Look for the sales on lesser known brands or buy up the cheap crap from time to time. That stuff will be needed when the SHTF. :cheers:

·
トヨタ Master
7,907 Posts
And don't forget about toilet paper. I read of times in need, people in cities were literally ripping shirts off of strangers to clean themselves up. Civilized folks want to wipe their a$$ on something besides their neighbor's arms after they defocate. Stock up.

·
Admin
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My friend and I were discussing this the other day as we were driving around and we got onto the topic of a wood burning stove in the house.

I don't have a fireplace or wood burning stove in my house. It would at least be EMP proof... :lol:

I mentioned it to my wife and of course she thinks I'm crazy.... but what's new? :shrug03:
:D

I would ideally like a wood stove. I had one when I was a kid and I loved sitting in front of it. I liked getting wood and chopping wood as well.

Walking home from school I could tell what type of wood my dad was burning from the smell of the smoke.

·
トヨタ Master
7,907 Posts
Don't forget knee pads and breath mints. No telling what you might have to do to survive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll remember to rely on guys like you that can be counted on for those oh so difficult times. >:D :lol:

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Almost all the discussion on this thread has been relative to EMP produced as a natural side-effect of the detonation of a nuclear weapon.

However, there is another class of EMP weapons that are completely independent of any nuclear components, are designed specifically to generate EMP, and are potentially much smaller and simpler in design and construction than nuclear weapons themselves.

These are explosively pumped Flux Compression Generators (FCG), explosive or propellant driven Magneto-Hydrodynamic (MHD) generators, and High-Power Microwave Devices (HPD).

For example, looking at the FCG devices, the underlying theory is relatively simple. The "core" is a cylindrical coil of heavy conductor, surrounded by a jacket or sleeve of conventional high-explosive designed as a conical shaped-charge. The shaped charge is configured so when it is detonated, it collapses the cylindrical coil in on itself, starting at one end and moving progressively along the length of the coil.

Connected to the coil is a large energy-storage capacitor and a triggerable high-voltage, high-current switch, like a trigatron. That's (basically) all there is, plus timing electronics to synchronize everything.

To detonate the bomb, the capacitor is charged and the switch is closed, dumping the electrical energy stored in the capacitor into the cylindrical coil. At the instant the current in the coil reaches the peak value (many tens or hundreds of thousands of amps), detonation of the explosive sleeve is initiated at one end. The detonating shaped charge progressively collapses and "short-circuits" each turn of the coil, forcing the current into fewer and fewer turns, and generating a huge magnetic field. Finally, all the current is driven into the last turn of the coil, and as it mechanically collapses, it vaporizes and the magnetic field collapses. The collapse of the magnetic field plus the current circulating in the coil generating an enormous pulse of electromagnetic energy, or EMP.

The other forms of EMP generators are more complex, but probably well within the technical capability of an organization that has demonstrated the ability to build functional nuclear weapons.

A very detailed and thorough analysis of these other non-nuclear EMP weapons is presented at: https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1996/apjemp.htm

This covers the underlying theory of operation, methods of delivering non-nuclear EMP weapons, the EMP effect and vulnerability of various types of electrical and electronic system, how EMP couples into electronic systems, methods of protection from EMP weapons, limitations of EMP weapons, proliferation of EMP weapons, military doctrine for the use of EMP weapons, etc.

THIS IS A MUST-READ FOR ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN FOLLOWING THIS THREAD

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Well hell, could never store enough water and TP to last for years, so guess they will find me with huge pile of empty brass, when they come for my stuff? Good thing I have competency in deflection shooting developed on rabbits, squirrels, quail; and clay pigeons. Almost forgot, 13 months of competition in Gulf of Tonkin Games! Not sure where I placed; but good enough that I'm still here!

·
Registered
456 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-John-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765356864/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505470140&sr=8-1&keywords=one+second+after

Read this book. It covers all of your EMP worries, along with the the downfall of civilization that would accompany a widespread attack. It's a story, so they take some liberties, but it gives a few ideas on how to prep for the worst and brings to light some things you might not think of.

As for our rigs, I would think it would be completely boogered. Everything is computer controlled, to all of that would have to be stripped and replaced to get it operational. Think, some sort of older diesel motor, and mechanical gauges.

·
トヨタ Master
7,907 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-John-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765356864/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505470140&sr=8-1&keywords=one+second+after

Read this book. It covers all of your EMP worries, along with the the downfall of civilization that would accompany a widespread attack. It's a story, so they take some liberties, but it gives a few ideas on how to prep for the worst and brings to light some things you might not think of.

As for our rigs, I would think it would be completely boogered. Everything is computer controlled, to all of that would have to be stripped and replaced to get it operational. Think, some sort of older diesel motor, and mechanical gauges.
That was a good book. I have the sequel but never read it. :|

21 - 40 of 78 Posts