Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,511 Posts
Not once you're out of fuel...
Oil rich areas such as where I live and where you live will not have a problem procuring fuel, crude fuel but easily attainable fuel nonetheless. Oil wells can be flowed and a crude refined fuel can easily be produced, some more sensitive fuel systems may need modifications but older carbureted or mechanical injection diesels will run these fuels no problem after exhaust mods to the catalytic converters.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
They''re still after me! They may not have a running vehicle after EMP; but there are varying degrees of fuel remaining in EMP crippled vehicles or in various small or larger storage, so if mine is running, they know where to find fuel, as do I! On every other vehicle I have owned, I wanted exhaust system that both sounded good and glad for whatever power gains to be gleaned; but FJ is the exception, so kept stock exhaust, to be a little quiet. Only reason to wish FJ was a hybrid or electric, well increased range, too

Thanks for all interesting info and publications to source. Think EMP from North Korea is a real possibility that Kin Jong Very Ill is likely to use. Very hard to find or get at this guy due to lack of intel and hardened facilities in mountains. Really ticks me off this little nutjob has us and world stymied!

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
Oil rich areas such as where I live and where you live will not have a problem procuring fuel, crude fuel but easily attainable fuel nonetheless. Oil wells can be flowed and a crude refined fuel can easily be produced, some more sensitive fuel systems may need modifications but older carbureted or mechanical injection diesels will run these fuels no problem after exhaust mods to the catalytic converters.
I saw some videos of people doing some crude (pun not intended) refining in Syria for fuel. It's possible but it's messy...
Plenty of oil round here...

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,511 Posts
I saw some videos of people doing some crude (pun not intended) refining in Syria for fuel. It's possible but it's messy...
Plenty of oil round here...
Folks around here at one time would get in a bind and use what we call "drip" off of a well and run it straight in their trucks for fuel. It's higher BTU byproducts from natural gas that fall out of the gas stream when you create pressure drops or super cool it with a little equipment. Some wells produce this drip so pure that if you didn't mix it down with heavier oil it would lock the engine but it's a very potent and easily produced fuel source that can be found in shallow natural gas wells as well as the deep ones.

Heavy crude refinement is tougher but can be achieved, yea I watched Mad Max. :bandit:

Seriously I think the sodium content may be an issue in your part of the world but you could water wash it to remove it. Just depends on what you deem more important, fresh water or clean crude. :wink

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Folks around here at one time would get in a bind and use what we call "drip" off of a well and run it straight in their trucks for fuel. It's higher BTU byproducts from natural gas that fall out of the gas stream when you create pressure drops or super cool it with a little equipment. Some wells produce this drip so pure that if you didn't mix it down with heavier oil it would lock the engine but it's a very potent and easily produced fuel source that can be found in shallow natural gas wells as well as the deep ones. . :wink
Drip=Good for chainsaws with the oil mix
Liquid propane, butane, ethane, some gasoline unrefined at a whopping +1300 btu

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
Folks around here at one time would get in a bind and use what we call "drip" off of a well and run it straight in their trucks for fuel. It's higher BTU byproducts from natural gas that fall out of the gas stream when you create pressure drops or super cool it with a little equipment. Some wells produce this drip so pure that if you didn't mix it down with heavier oil it would lock the engine but it's a very potent and easily produced fuel source that can be found in shallow natural gas wells as well as the deep ones.

Heavy crude refinement is tougher but can be achieved, yea I watched Mad Max. :bandit:

Seriously I think the sodium content may be an issue in your part of the world but you could water wash it to remove it. Just depends on what you deem more important, fresh water or clean crude. :wink
A lot of the crude is heavy, sour. It's nasty stuff...
Water - it's always more useful.
No fuel - there's always wind. I'll take my chances on the sea.

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
You'd think with all the money in Dubai, some engineers would've come up with a streamlined portable desalination gizmo by now. :lol:
If there's one thing they're good at, it's desalination!
Unfortunately requires a lot of energy...

You can get portable desalinators for boats & cars but they're pricey... I've not seen one under $3000.
There are models that you can drive the pump with your engine rather than electrically, and some will use only a couple of amps to produce a decent amount of water per day, but $$$ is still the main issue.

·
トヨタ Master
5,832 Posts
If there's one thing they're good at, it's desalination!
Unfortunately requires a lot of energy...

You can get portable desalinators for boats & cars but they're pricey... I've not seen one under $3000.
There are models that you can drive the pump with your engine rather than electrically, and some will use only a couple of amps to produce a decent amount of water per day, but $$$ is still the main issue.
Is that $3000 U.S? That's not alot of coin here.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts