Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,991 Posts
Not once you're out of fuel...
Oil rich areas such as where I live and where you live will not have a problem procuring fuel, crude fuel but easily attainable fuel nonetheless. Oil wells can be flowed and a crude refined fuel can easily be produced, some more sensitive fuel systems may need modifications but older carbureted or mechanical injection diesels will run these fuels no problem after exhaust mods to the catalytic converters.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
They''re still after me! They may not have a running vehicle after EMP; but there are varying degrees of fuel remaining in EMP crippled vehicles or in various small or larger storage, so if mine is running, they know where to find fuel, as do I! On every other vehicle I have owned, I wanted exhaust system that both sounded good and glad for whatever power gains to be gleaned; but FJ is the exception, so kept stock exhaust, to be a little quiet. Only reason to wish FJ was a hybrid or electric, well increased range, too

Thanks for all interesting info and publications to source. Think EMP from North Korea is a real possibility that Kin Jong Very Ill is likely to use. Very hard to find or get at this guy due to lack of intel and hardened facilities in mountains. Really ticks me off this little nutjob has us and world stymied!

·
Desert Moderator
6,649 Posts
Oil rich areas such as where I live and where you live will not have a problem procuring fuel, crude fuel but easily attainable fuel nonetheless. Oil wells can be flowed and a crude refined fuel can easily be produced, some more sensitive fuel systems may need modifications but older carbureted or mechanical injection diesels will run these fuels no problem after exhaust mods to the catalytic converters.
I saw some videos of people doing some crude (pun not intended) refining in Syria for fuel. It's possible but it's messy...
Plenty of oil round here...

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,991 Posts
I saw some videos of people doing some crude (pun not intended) refining in Syria for fuel. It's possible but it's messy...
Plenty of oil round here...
Folks around here at one time would get in a bind and use what we call "drip" off of a well and run it straight in their trucks for fuel. It's higher BTU byproducts from natural gas that fall out of the gas stream when you create pressure drops or super cool it with a little equipment. Some wells produce this drip so pure that if you didn't mix it down with heavier oil it would lock the engine but it's a very potent and easily produced fuel source that can be found in shallow natural gas wells as well as the deep ones.

Heavy crude refinement is tougher but can be achieved, yea I watched Mad Max. :bandit:

Seriously I think the sodium content may be an issue in your part of the world but you could water wash it to remove it. Just depends on what you deem more important, fresh water or clean crude. :wink

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,276 Posts
Folks around here at one time would get in a bind and use what we call "drip" off of a well and run it straight in their trucks for fuel. It's higher BTU byproducts from natural gas that fall out of the gas stream when you create pressure drops or super cool it with a little equipment. Some wells produce this drip so pure that if you didn't mix it down with heavier oil it would lock the engine but it's a very potent and easily produced fuel source that can be found in shallow natural gas wells as well as the deep ones. . :wink
Drip=Good for chainsaws with the oil mix
Liquid propane, butane, ethane, some gasoline unrefined at a whopping +1300 btu

·
Desert Moderator
6,649 Posts
Folks around here at one time would get in a bind and use what we call "drip" off of a well and run it straight in their trucks for fuel. It's higher BTU byproducts from natural gas that fall out of the gas stream when you create pressure drops or super cool it with a little equipment. Some wells produce this drip so pure that if you didn't mix it down with heavier oil it would lock the engine but it's a very potent and easily produced fuel source that can be found in shallow natural gas wells as well as the deep ones.

Heavy crude refinement is tougher but can be achieved, yea I watched Mad Max. :bandit:

Seriously I think the sodium content may be an issue in your part of the world but you could water wash it to remove it. Just depends on what you deem more important, fresh water or clean crude. :wink
A lot of the crude is heavy, sour. It's nasty stuff...
Water - it's always more useful.
No fuel - there's always wind. I'll take my chances on the sea.

·
トヨタ Master
7,907 Posts
You'd think with all the money in Dubai, some engineers would've come up with a streamlined portable desalination gizmo by now. :lol:

·
Desert Moderator
6,649 Posts
You'd think with all the money in Dubai, some engineers would've come up with a streamlined portable desalination gizmo by now. :lol:
If there's one thing they're good at, it's desalination!
Unfortunately requires a lot of energy...

You can get portable desalinators for boats & cars but they're pricey... I've not seen one under $3000.
There are models that you can drive the pump with your engine rather than electrically, and some will use only a couple of amps to produce a decent amount of water per day, but $$$ is still the main issue.

·
トヨタ Master
7,907 Posts
If there's one thing they're good at, it's desalination!
Unfortunately requires a lot of energy...

You can get portable desalinators for boats & cars but they're pricey... I've not seen one under $3000.
There are models that you can drive the pump with your engine rather than electrically, and some will use only a couple of amps to produce a decent amount of water per day, but $$$ is still the main issue.
Is that $3000 U.S? That's not alot of coin here.

Reactions: Thorn661

·
トヨタ Master
7,907 Posts
1.5 years later and we're no longer on this subject. @Winterpeg , how bout we revive this thead in relationship to other global disastrous events. It seems as though if folks are prepared for "Zombie Apocalypse", then you cover the bases for such things as pandemics and other possible life changing events.

I've pondered the idea that why not do it now if you are a super power such as China or Russia. Get the people while they are down and unsuspecting. With the theory that 5G adding to the Covid19 spread, why not attack the U.S. now? We may be vulnerable with the armed forces infected and somewhat disabled, we are definitely not operating at 100%. The idea of an EMP should be on any "prepper's" radar and who knows what the next wave of American extintion will be. Hit them while they're down, right? The 2nd wave of this virus, if anything like the last few, will be our weakest point. Why not ramp up securities now. It may not be an EMP but with the economy going to $hit, who's to say when the next attack may come?

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,868 Posts
Wolverines!!!!

Reactions: CabinCruiser

·
Desert Moderator
6,649 Posts
While it's great to have all the gear, it's an even better idea to have a few clues and experience in using it or putting theory into practice.
How many of us are fit enough to walk 20km today? Could you walk 100km in a week carrying everything that you need for that week?
What are the alternatives?
Do you know how to source water and make it safe to drink in your area? Build shelter?

·
Desert Moderator
6,649 Posts
What if the power went out right now? What do you have on hand to deal with:
Water
Critical meds
Food
Sanitation

You have to assume that the sewers would not be working or will back up quickly. Will that cause a problem if it rains?

In my situation, I would avoid bugging out like the plague - water and shelter are my biggest concerns, and I'd want to conserve fuel - because if there isn't any power, then fuel is also going to be a problem. Driving out to the middle of the desert is going to give me an issue with water.
At home, I have a 6000 litre water tank, and probably as much in a swimming pool. That's going to last a while. I can also scavenge water from other locations if need be.
We have no requirement for insulin, ventolin etc, so I guess we're lucky. Food - probably a good 2-3 months on hand if we stretch it out.
Sanitation - that's probably the hardest part, but I could probably build some kind of septic system up without too much drama.
Comms - I'd assume that mobile & land line comms are out. I have 5W VHF/UHF handhelds and I have solar power to keep stuff charged. A SW receiver, and a couple of 2-way satellite communicators (if they will still work).
For cooking etc, I have all my camp gear, gas, wood etc. Lighting I have gas and 18650 lithium based lights. Fuel for cooking would be a concern - I probably have 3 weeks worth of gas, and I have maybe a weeks worth of wood, but I have a chainsaw and handsaws and know good sources of wood that few others would know of or have the ability to harvest. I also have likeminded friends locally, so pooling resources would be a certainty.
The big issue would be what would happen after the first 3 months when food starts getting scarce, and upto then when others start getting desperate...

·
トヨタ Master
7,907 Posts
I walk 10 miles a day and my cholesterol is low. Doc said eat more fat. I said, Can I get that in writing for my wife otherwise she won't believe me. :ROFLMAO:
Eat more bacon. ?

Reactions: amaclach

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,510 Posts
And don't forget about toilet paper. I read of times in need, people in cities were literally ripping shirts off of strangers to clean themselves up. Civilized folks want to wipe their a$$ on something besides their neighbor's arms after they defocate. Stock up.
looks like you knew something...?

41 - 60 of 78 Posts