Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,410 Posts
Just dipped in here. Interesting stuff.

Me? I’m like the kid who ran away from home but only got to the corner of the street because he was’t allowed to cross the road alone....

I have the kit, I have the knowledge but I’m not allowed to leave and if I could I have few options of where to go without being moved on or worse

·
Admin
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Good idea to touch on this again @CabinCruiser

I was just thinking of this again the other day. It has nothing to do with watching the tv show Jericho again, lol.

What if the power went out right now? What do you have on hand to deal with:
Water
Critical meds
Food
Sanitation
Power:
If my little generator doesn't get knocked out it can run my freezer and a few other small things every once in a while to conserve fuel.

Water:
I have a few water jugs that I've filled recently... not piles of water but it's a start. I also have water filters. When camping we filter water rather than having to haul water. Water around here isn't likely going to be an issue unless it gets contaminated... there are plenty of lakes.

Meds:
This is a bit of a fight to get extra meds for my kids' arthritis... but we'll continue this battle once the dust settles from covid.

Food:
We're good for a few months. We've always had our freezer full, we were just raised that way. We have some dried goods and non-perishables as well.
We do a fair bit of off grid camping so that's the resources we would dip into.

Sanitation:
We have a couple camping toilets if needed. If we "bug in" for a while I would likely dig a hole in the backyard too.
Our sewer is still old school and has a 1 way valve and doesn't rely on a sump pump. Most new homes around here have sump pumps. When the power was out a year or 2 ago people were scrambling for generators to power their sump pumps.

Comms:
I had a mylar bag kicking around and "tested" to see if it would block my cell signal. It blocked it just fine.... funny though the wifi signal continued through the bag no problem. I seriously doubt I would have the fore-knowledge to jam my phone into a bag though... and even if I did I'm not sure who I would call if everyone else doesn't have a working cell. That's all assuming that would protect it from an EMP.... I don't plan on testing that on an expensive smartphone just for shts and giggles... LOL.

I have a CB and have been looking more seriously at a HAM radio. I'm teetering more towards GMRS right now though. It's gaining popularity VERY quickly.
In all likelihood I would get both... once the money starts coming back in again, lol.

Guns & Ammo:
Yes.

*The biggest issue around here would be heat. If the power goes down in the winter that would suck. It's almost spring time here so that's good (always is).
If power goes out in the winter we would have to deal with pipes bursting from freezing.
I have a few little space heaters but my little generator can really only power 1 of those at a time.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Meds... have antibiotic cream handy. A minor infection could become a deadly one. Sun screen, insect repellent, lip balm.

I think I've told of the pharmacy not filling the prescription for 90 day supply of insulin. They accused me of hoarding.

·
トヨタ Master
7,569 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
6,451 Posts
Meds... have antibiotic cream handy. A minor infection could become a deadly one. Sun screen, insect repellent, lip balm.

I think I've told of the pharmacy not filling the prescription for 90 day supply of insulin. They accused me of hoarding.
For antibiotic cream, fucidin is almost like magic. There is a version that has cortisone mixed in to further promote healing - that's even better. I think it is called fucicort. I have some of that lying around.
Also betadine spray, solution, and cream - almost as magic.
Get some pool shock for water treatment.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Anyone use one of these or know how well they actually work? EMP Protection & Defense Technology | EMP Shield
I have one installed on my FJ. They’re supposed to be the real deal and now starting to be used on military equipment.
They also make home versions to protect everything connected and also generators. I’ll be adding one of those in the near future. And the bonus with the home version is that it also protects against lightning strikes and grid power surges.
Hopefully I never have to find out if any of it works!
Also FYI: I follow the YouTube page Last Line of Defense and he has a list of promo codes that’ll save you money with all the product manufacturers that support his page. I used the promo code LLOD for $50 off. But you should go check out his page for all the other promo codes and for all the survival and off-roading videos. He’s a Toyota guy so give his page a thumbs up and follow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
トヨタ Master
7,569 Posts
I have one installed on my FJ. They’re supposed to be the real deal and now starting to be used on military equipment.
They also make home versions to protect everything connected and also generators. I’ll be adding one of those in the near future. And the bonus with the home version is that it also protects against lightning strikes and grid power surges.
Hopefully I never have to find out if any of it works!
Also FYI: I follow the YouTube page Last Line of Defense and he has a list of promo codes that’ll save you money with all the product manufacturers that support his page. I used the promo code LLOD for $50 off. But you should go check out his page for all the other promo codes and for all the survival and off-roading videos. He’s a Toyota guy so give his page a thumbs up and follow!

What circuitry is it connected to? BCM?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
7,569 Posts
It's not going to work. It needs to shield the the potential magnetic field going to the actual circuitry from the magnetic blast. Fielding the battery leads won't protect silicon chips from frying. It may absorb to protect a few but won't shield everything.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
It's not going to work. It needs to shield the the potential magnetic field going to the actual circuitry from the magnetic blast. Fielding the battery leads won't protect silicon chips from frying. It may absorb to protect a few but won't shield everything.
If you haven’t already, you might want to read up on this device. I don’t believe the Dept. of Defense and Homeland Security would be working with them if it hadn’t been thoroughly tested and proven.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
7,569 Posts
If you haven’t already, you might want to read up on this device. I don’t believe the Dept. of Defense and Homeland Security would be working with them if it hadn’t been thoroughly tested and proven.

I'll take a look

61 - 78 of 78 Posts