Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

If you are experiencing body rips or bulges with your FJ, what setup are you running?

• Stock bumper, no lift

Votes: 147 28.9%
  • Stock bumper, w/lift

Votes: 51 10.0%
  • Stock bumper, w/lift and 285/70 17's

Votes: 51 10.0%
  • ARB bumper, no lift

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • ARB bumper, with lift

Votes: 22 4.3%
  • ARB bumper, w/lift and 285/70 17's

Votes: 44 8.6%
  • WARN bumper, no lift

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • WARN bumper, w/lift

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • WARN bumper w/lift and 285/70 17's

Votes: 18 3.5%
  • ARB bumper, w/lift, and 255/85 16's

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • ARB bumper, w/lift and 315/75 16's

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Demello bumper, no lift

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Demello bumper, w/lift

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • Demello bumper, w/lift and 285/70 17's

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Road Armour bumper, no lift

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Road Armour bumper, w/lift

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • Road Armour bumper, w/lift and 285/70 17's

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • All-Pro Bumper, no lift

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • All-Pro Bumper, w/ Lift

Votes: 16 3.1%
  • All-Pro Bumper, w/ lift & 285s

Votes: 32 6.3%
  • Stock with Skid Plates

Votes: 34 6.7%

• Total voters
3461 - 3480 of 3504 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well - yesterday - I was at my Toyota dealer repair shop here in the Middle East...for a new windscreen.
I showed the Toyota guy my tears..and he said he had repaired many here in Oman and that it should be claimed on insurance - as it is seen as accident insurance... relating to an incident when 4x4...

U p d a t e ......
Claim approved..:cheers:
.Fj now at Toyota Muscat Oman...
Body and engine removed from the chassis:
spoke with their chassis engineer, who advised..
- the chassis is straight and strong "they don't bend"
- the front engine mounts, on a tower from the chassis are bent back,
- the body is attached to these towers and thats why the creases / tears / door rubs the fender
- he has seen many Fj's and quite a few Prado's with exactly the same condition
- the damage is not caused by wheel/ body impact or from hitting the chassis on the dirt:blueblob:
- the cause is on impact of any sort the engine tilts back
- this is due to the weight of the engine vs. The strength of these engine mount towers...

I believe +2010 models are less prone to this problem due to the changes Toyota made to the chassis?

Any confirmation or details on newer Fj's have the creases would be appreciated...as I plan to purchase a late model one and continue having fun in the deserts of Oman....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hey guys take a look at the thing I bought in Europe. These are inner fender reinforcements to prevent or fix existing bulges/rips for FJ Cruiser. Manufacturer declares easy bolt-on installation with no drilling or welding (if rip is no longer then 2 inch).

It's intended to be installed on existing factory bolts using PU sealant. I'm going to install them this weekend although there are no visible rips or bulges on my '07 FJ.
Any more news on these?

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
See comments in red. Perhaps some miscommunication?

I spoke with their chassis engineer, who advised..
- the chassis is straight and strong "they don't bend" The frames do flex, there are multiple folks who have proved that including myself. The whole front of the FJ frame will bow back towards the firewall if you push it hard enough. This coupled with the body compressing on the body mounts allows the tire to come in contact with the fender wells

- the front engine mounts, on a tower from the chassis are bent back,
- the body is attached to these towers and thats why the creases / tears / door rubs the fender The body doesn't tie into the shock towers or the engine mounts. The body mounts separately on the frame on the opposite side and aft/forward of where the motor mounts are
- he has seen many Fj's and quite a few Prado's with exactly the same condition
- the damage is not caused by wheel/ body impact or from hitting the chassis on the dirt:blueblob: I disagree
- the cause is on impact of any sort the engine tilts back Only way that this would be the case is if it tweaks the entire front of the frame to the body mounts. Plenty of folks have had engine mounts that have cracked by no fender buldges. I don't see the two necessarily being tied together.
- this is due to the weight of the engine vs. The strength of these engine mount towers... Which is why they crack and the aftermarket industry offers gussets for the motor mounts.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Regarding getting NHTSA to address, I wonder how many submissions are required before they take action?

If we use the 209,000 number from the recent recall notification, which I figure is all FJ's produced. Then, use this forums bulge/rip poll, which has 460 voters, that's not even 1%.

Would seem the most concerning issue about this is the point that it is severe enough that the occupants are unable to exit the FJ in an emergency due to the fender interfering with opening the doors.

Dan
If memory serves me correctly, the first year they produced around 50,000. If you do the math it's close to 1%. The if you estimate how many actually did some high speed off-road driving, slow crawl torsion maneuvers, considerable amounts of off-road driving, with or without a heavy load, it's possible you could be looking at something more in the 20% range. They quickly started modifying these inner aprons when the problem started surfacing. The fact they changed those parts is pretty much an admission of poor design and testing. The big impediment is that they would have to crash test it after modifying to have it pass for importation (which is why they started repair with the '08 which was probably going to be crash tested anyway. I wonder if they did that? I don't see why a lawyer worth anything wouldn't be able to settle this one out of court (specially in the US but Canada would be a different story.) Toyota would also gladly settle just to make this disappear. The cost of repairing maybe 5000 vehicles would pale in comparison to legal fees.

·
Registered
419 Posts
All of the fender bulges that I have seen in person, all had the same symptom. The vehicles all had aftermarket bumpers and they were mounted too close to the body. When the frame flexes the bumper pushes up into the body. Look at the little trim piece just to the left of the headlight in his photo, its out of wack, just like the other ones I have seen.

·
Registered
419 Posts
With all due respect, are you certain that they are bulges and not just the way the sheet metal looks? The reason I say this is because when I first purchased my fj 5 years ago, I read about the fender bulges and rushed out to see if I had them as well (vehicle was completely stock). At the time I thought that I too had "slight" bulges on either side. I now realize what I was looking at was perfectly normal, just the form of the sheet metal which is slightly protruding outwards around the creases in the crumple zone.

Just as a disclaimer I'm not trying to be some type of expert on the subject, this is just my personal opinion. Nor am I saying the ONLY way to get the bulge is through an aftermarket bumper, but I do think it play's a large role in them if not installed properly. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
Stock bumper, no lift 135 votes 28.78% of the polled people have the issue without a lift and bumper. Toss in stock bumper with lift/tires and out of everyone that has the issue that's 50% according to what is likely an inherently inaccurate poll :lol:

Its not just the aftermarket bumper. Although I'm sure it can contribute.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I have a Demello bumper, AllPro Skid plates, a winch, an Icon Stage 2 lift with coil-overs..
Its been in a front end wreck that damaged all my right suspension, front end has been airborn off road..
The camber plates have stripped off the little ends and I have a very minor bulging on the right side since the wreck but no bulges or rips at 118K

·
Registered
486 Posts
Any more news on these?
Don't buy these if you have a family.
I'm no Rocket Surgeon but do have ER experience and see how crumple zone save lives. What I see in these brackets is the elimination of a safety feature. Even rips would retain the crumple feature.

Seems the same thing as removing a collapsible steering column with a solid one. By the time you figure out why you shouldn't do it, it's too late.

Maybe drill the brackets out with holes and use minimally gauged steel. Engineers can improve this good idea. I'll buy then.

I have both bulges and tears but have beaten the crap out of my off road FJ. Other 3 have been garage queens and not a hint of any rip tears on 2 other 2007.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Don't buy these if you have a family.
I'm no Rocket Surgeon but do have ER experience and see how crumple zone save lives. What I see in these brackets is the elimination of a safety feature. Even rips would retain the crumple feature.

Seems the same thing as removing a collapsible steering column with a solid one. By the time you figure out why you shouldn't do it, it's too late.

Maybe drill the brackets out with holes and use minimally gauged steel. Engineers can improve this good idea. I'll buy then.

I have both bulges and tears but have beaten the crap out of my off road FJ. Other 3 have been garage queens and not a hint of any rip tears on 2 other 2007.
This coming from a structural engineer?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I haven't experienced the fender bulging on my 07', and hope that day never comes. Reaching 60K on mine and have been on road quite a bit.
I'm good too, even the hidden from view spots like where the CAI air enters the fender as reported by others. I have 86000 on my 07 6MT (1/07 build) and lots of miles offroad, probably 5000 miles or more of punishing washboards, among all types of other offroad terrain :rocker:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

3461 - 3480 of 3504 Posts