Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there is a thread on this, but since this keeps popping up (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/105596-how-do-you-wash-engine-bay.html), I thought I would create a new thread (and clear title.)

It seems many are wondering how to get a good clean engine after a day of good clean fun.

I keep recommending this product (which was recommended to me in this thread: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/maintenance-tech/87013-engine-cleaning.html)
Black Magic 2n1 Engine Shine

Here are some pictures from last night's cleaning. (Mind you this mud had sat for about a month until I got a chance to clean it...it was eating me up! - but I like clean engines!)

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

This product basically "dresses" all the black areas once it is rinsed off - leaving it looking like you just aromor-all'd all of the hoses/plastic.

With mine being very dirty I did this:
1. I hit it first with a quick rinse to loosen dirt.
2. Removed Engine cover (10mm nuts) and set on the ground
3. Sprayed an entire can of Black Magic 2n1 on the engine bay and underside of the hood -- thoroughly
4. Sprayed (with that can) the engine cover on the ground.
5. Waited about 10 minutes
6. Took a handle scrub brush (dipped in a bucket of water) and scrubbed the hood, engine top, intake hose, radiator hose, fender wells. This is just to help loosen the very diry parts and spread the cleaner around more. (This is only like 2 minutes of scrubbing!)
7. Spray down with regular pressure washer standing back a bit. Also spray down the engine cover (while holding it) and thoroughly rinse the cotton like backing that soaks up tons of mud!
8. Spray down with 'Spot Free Rinse' at close range to make sure everything is rinsed.
9. Let engine sit and air-dry for about 10 minutes. With your hand, squeeze and ring out the engine cover backing material and lean up to let drip dry.
10. Turn over engine (belts will throw some water spray!) Let run for about 10 minutes. Take a small towel and touch up any oversprayed muddy water. (Usually not much, just the underside of the hood.)
11. Put cover on, carefully if while engine is running.
12. Close hood and go home to get a beer!:cheers:

All in all, (even going slowly) at a quarter wash this should take you around 30-40 minutes and less than 5 dollars.

And a big thanks to mmont0 for recommending this product! I love this stuff!

Quote from original thread below:
I had to post this for anyone that wants to clean up their FJ after a muddy run. I went off-roading two weeks ago and this is what my engine bay looked like:

This mud was dry and caked on since the bay gets very hot. I cleaned it up a little using degreaser but it didn't work so well. Wiping worked better. Then I saw some cleaner at AutoZone called Black Magic 2 in 1 Engine Shine and it worked beautifully. Here's a pic afterwards:

I didn't spray it on the hood so you can still see a little bit of mud in the crevices. It's fairly easy - spray on, wait 15 minutes, hose down using gentle spray. It coagulates when the water is sprayed on it and then washes right off. I was amazed how easy it was. The best part is that it didn't stink like the degreaser.

You'll probably need about 2 cans to spray all the areas in the engine bay. I only needed one since I cleaned it out quite a bit before I used it.

Hope this helps someone who wants to keep their FJ looking new underneath. :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Cleaning your engine bay? Thank goodness for meticulous people who care for the details. The world would be a rough spot without you guys. I haven't cleaned my engine since I bought my FJ... coming up on 3 years. Don't suspect I ever will either :)

So here's to you, guys who clean your engines.

Reactions: FJ Moose

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
Nice job Brian. :bigthumb:

I know what I am doing tomorrow afternoon if the wind dies down a bit.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nice job Brian. :bigthumb:

I know what I am doing tomorrow afternoon if the wind dies down a bit.
I hear ya Wilson...just washed the rides. It was like doing it in a wind tunnel! Sucked.

Give this stuff a try...I do beleive it is Magic! Buy 2 bottles in case one doesn't spray. I have had 2 bottles that were full but would not spray the "Magic" out...just propelant. (I think this is fairly common with shake and spray products, or else it happens to me all the time.:flame:) I just returned the full bottle for a replacement so keep the receipt!

post up how you liked it when your done.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Wait a minute... You're no off - roader. You're just as pretentious as I am!

I know what that "mud" really is!...

It's that Starbucks Crappucino muck! You're a pretender, not a wheeler!

Nothing less than yuppie fuel!

Reactions: FJ Moose

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Looks so clean! You sure you didn't post a picture before you went mudding then after!

I hope to get the same results....guess I give this Majik stuff a try :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Good job and thanks for the nice write up.:bigthumb:
I keep it clean too, though I don't use any solvent/cleaner/degrease. Just spray it with my house filtered H20, then dry the engine bay with a leaf blower.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I keep it clean too, though I don't use any solvent/cleaner/degrease. Just spray it with my house filtered H20, then dry the engine bay with a leaf blower.

Not just clean, but color coordinated too! :lol:

Seriously though, that red/black combo looks really great!

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
My wife calls it OCD, I call it taking care of my rig. I spend 2 full days detailing my rig every time I go offroading or Muddin. The Black magic 2 in 1 engine cleaner really works! It wont clean the aluminum engine parts back to their silvery state( some dirt and mud will stain), but it will make it look like the pictures previously posted. YOu can also use the black magic tire shine on the tires and complete undercarrage to make the entire drive train look new! I spray the wheelwells, frame,axles, underside.. It also helps to keep mud and dirt from sticking, making it easy to hose off.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
FWIW... My local Pepboys had a special going... 2 cans for $8. That's ~$1.50 a can off the regular price. Not sure what is sells for in other areas.

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
FWIW... My local Pepboys had a special going... 2 cans for $8. That's ~$1.50 a can off the regular price. Not sure what is sells for in other areas.
I paid $6.49 per can! :eek:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Nice job to the OP. :bigthumb:

Leaf blower is a great idea. Why didn't I think of that. (No need to answer. We all know)

Great looking engine room. NDA431FJ

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
1 - 20 of 57 Posts