Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
This stuff really does work great. I've been using it for a while and I like how the dirt just washes away and I don't have to scrub much, if any.

Terry bought a can this weekend and it didn't work well. I think he got one of those dud cans that you were talking about.

I've even sprayed it on the suspension and rear housing if it gets really muddy.

I'm so OCD that a few months ago, I finished washing the FJ and saw the rear axle housing still looked dingy. I had read about people using Pledge to make their steelies shine, so I looked around and found some spray lubricant that I had for my garage door opener. I sprayed a really light coat on the housing and it looked brand new.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
The Black Magic 2 in 1 engine cleaner really does as it states. The only thing I have found is on bare aluminum if its dicolored form mud or dirt it will not clean it back to like new. I use it on the engine, drivetrain, and wheelwells. for the like new look I follow up with the black magic tire spray or gel.
This is what it looked like before.

This is what it looked like after several hours under the powerwasher and 5 cans of black magic 2 in 1Followed by the tire shine spray

I appologize I didnt take before and after of the engine...

·
Registered
511 Posts
All these reviews make this product sound awesome! I've been looking for something to get rid of baked on mud in the engine compartment for awhile now and would like to try this.

My only question is how does this product affect rubber, plastic and metal? I recall that Armor All products were REALLY popular for years for making your internal trim and tires shine. That was at least until people discovered that it actually left your plastic and rubber pieces (e.g. your tires) dried and cracked over long-term use.

I guess my point is that if this stuff eats through dirt that easy I'm a little concerned that it might be a bit caustic and thus end up damaging metal or plastic parts in the process. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
All these reviews make this product sound awesome! I've been looking for something to get rid of baked on mud in the engine compartment for awhile now and would like to try this.

My only question is how does this product affect rubber, plastic and metal? I recall that Armor All products were REALLY popular for years for making your internal trim and tires shine. That was at least until people discovered that it actually left your plastic and rubber pieces (e.g. your tires) dried and cracked over long-term use.

I guess my point is that if this stuff eats through dirt that easy I'm a little concerned that it might be a bit caustic and thus end up damaging metal or plastic parts in the process. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff
Let me cover my Butt here, we are simply relaying info based on our opinions... nothing more, no endorcements...Just opinions.:wave:
Unless you have major OCD like I do. Your probably only going to use this maybe once a month or only when you get really dirty, and your washing it off, it leaves a silicone base behind. when armor-all first hit the market it was liquid that you sprayed on and it coated the rubber. At some point they even listed it was not safe for all rubber products, it was never intended for engine compartments. Most products today are designed and engineered around the auto industry. Here is tthe web page for all Black Magic Products.

Black Magic Car Care Products - Black Magic 2-in-1 Engine Shine

I have been using them for years both on my showcars, every day rides, and my FJC as well. Have not had any issues. Other than several years show car detailing and recently helping my Son in law get a mobile detailling buisness going I am not in the "BIZ" so this is strickly my opinion. It does a outstand job but I cant say it will completely clean all baked on dirt and grime. FOr the 6 to 8 bucks and 30 minutes of your time and some water you just have to see if it works for you...:cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Nice write up. I'm sold. Going to grab some when I get the chance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
NDA431FJ, MAN, Great looking engine, LOVE IT, does it come in Blue for me ;)

MAAAAAAAAAAAN, I wish if i read this thread before,
Last night i spend hours and hourse under the hood with a bucket of soap and sponge.
This product sounds like WOW , i'll get some too..

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My engine bay looks like the pics on page 1.
I was hoping to find some kind of writeup like this.

Awesome thread. :rocker:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Back in the day, we would use Simple Green on our ATV's after a day of riding. No wiping was required. However it sounds like this stuff is cheaper than Simple Green. Thx for info

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've been looking, but so far can't find it....Autozone, PepBoys and Walmart dont have it???

·
Registered
83 Posts
Black Magic 2n1 works really well it leave's your engine compartment satin black and not glossy black which I truly like.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
after playing in the mud/water a little i get a musty smell when using the upper vents (by the windshield) i assume i have a bit of mold in a filter somewhere? any advice?

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
after playing in the mud/water a little i get a musty smell when using the upper vents (by the windshield) i assume i have a bit of mold in a filter somewhere? any advice?
change Cabin filter... There is plenty of threads available on this..

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok, so before I go to town on this.. I want to make sure I'm not going to F anything up.. I went splashing thought some bad ass mud puddles and driving though some sandy areas for the first time recently, and I already have a problem with sand in my pulleys.:flame: Ugh.. so now I need to clean under the hood before I bring it back to Toyota

-I can just go to car wash and use that type of pressure washer or is it better to just use a hose?

-Is there anything under the hood I cant spary with hose/pressure washer or the black magic?

Thanks in adavance

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
The Black Magic 2 in 1 engine cleaner really does as it states. The only thing I have found is on bare aluminum if its dicolored form mud or dirt it will not clean it back to like new. I use it on the engine, drivetrain, and wheelwells. for the like new look I follow up with the black magic tire spray or gel.
This is what it looked like before.

This is what it looked like after several hours under the powerwasher and 5 cans of black magic 2 in 1Followed by the tire shine spray

I appologize I didnt take before and after of the engine...
it looks like your truck is higher when its clean too :lol:
i am going to have to get me some of this stuff, thanks everyone
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
:thinkerg:Thats funny it does look higher!WTF, that pic was taken the next day after I spent most of the night and that morning cleaning it...
Now it is 2" higher, I put a body lift on this past christmas!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a little terrified.
I wanted to clean out the New Mexico dust that was left all over the engine bay.
I let the engine rest overnight.
I applied some water all around the engine bay
I got some Black Magic 2 in 1 and applied it all over the engine bay.
I brushed and wiped everything.
I rinsed off all of the stuff with light pressure water.
I continued wiping the remaining dirt and grease, then I noticed a bunch of cracks all around the top half of the engine. It looks like I really screwed everything up... but it doesn't make sense.
This kind of thing shouldn't happen right?
What do you guys recommend?
I'm avoiding turning on the engine for now...

Here are some photos
http://goo.gl/bJ94tj
http://goo.gl/Jt5g3H

21 - 40 of 57 Posts