Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm a little terrified.
I wanted to clean out the New Mexico dust that was left all over the engine bay.
I let the engine rest overnight.
I applied some water all around the engine bay
I got some Black Magic 2 in 1 and applied it all over the engine bay.
I brushed and wiped everything.
I rinsed off all of the stuff with light pressure water.
I continued wiping the remaining dirt and grease, then I noticed a bunch of cracks all around the top half of the engine. It looks like I really screwed everything up... but it doesn't make sense.
This kind of thing shouldn't happen right?
What do you guys recommend?
I'm avoiding turning on the engine for now...

Here are some photos
http://goo.gl/bJ94tj
http://goo.gl/Jt5g3H
That's normal for our engines. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I will have to give this stuff a try. I have GREAT success with slightly warming the engine up and misting everything then hitting everything with simple green. Shut the hood to "bake" come back in about 10 minutes and rinse. Usually looks show room new, if not just repeat. Always looking for new products though!

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I would just avoid not spraying directly on the brake fluid cap, oil cap, and PSF cap. The engine coolant cap should not be a problem to spray directly.

I clean my engine by rinsing it off with a garden hose. Then I spray down any really dirty spots with full strength degreaser.

After the full strength degreaser sits for about 5-10min. I use an old cleaned out garden hose plant fertilizer attachment and fill it with full strength degreaser and spray down the engine bay until the degreaser is all gone.

Finally, I use a mr. clean car filter to rinse for a water spot free rinse.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What about damaging alternator? Or fuse boxes? I'm always feeling awkward when spraying high pressure in there...

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I'm a little terrified.
I wanted to clean out the New Mexico dust that was left all over the engine bay.
I let the engine rest overnight.
I applied some water all around the engine bay
I got some Black Magic 2 in 1 and applied it all over the engine bay.
I brushed and wiped everything.
I rinsed off all of the stuff with light pressure water.
I continued wiping the remaining dirt and grease, then I noticed a bunch of cracks all around the top half of the engine. It looks like I really screwed everything up... but it doesn't make sense.
This kind of thing shouldn't happen right?
What do you guys recommend?
I'm avoiding turning on the engine for now...

Here are some photos

http://goo.gl/bJ94tj
http://goo.gl/Jt5g3H

Those tiny cracks are probably superficial and occurred from the original casting when the parts were made. If no oil is seeping out your good to go.

Your motor and all the other parts look really clean and you don't see cracks on all the other parts.

Unless you run your engine real hot and spray it with liquid Nitrogen then maybe something crazy would occur :lol:

Reactions: FJ Moose

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
I'm going to try thing tomorrow, as I'm taking it in Monday for a "health check", as I have reasons to believe it is running rich.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry to bump this but didn’t know where to ask.
Should these pictures be concerning

There is some rust in the undercarriage, but I think I’ll be able to clean up. Are these rust spots in the engine bay and mounts concerning?

thank you
G

·
Registered
141 Posts
@MR_XG78 It’s nothing I’d be concerned about personally in regards to is it going to cause a breakdown or something. But like any rust it is something you don’t want to leave untreated/repaired. As rust will continue to eat away at whatever surface it’s on. Depending on the environment you live in this can be slow or fast. I’d just add treating/repairing it to the the rest of the rust treatment you plan on doing.
As for the engine mounts, I’d clean them up with a small wire brush and some sand paper. Then treat to stop any further rust. (Make sure whatever you treat the area with is safe on rubber) Mask the area off and paint, to further protect it. With the rust on the body, I’d carefully clean that by hand as well with a wire brush, or wire pipe brush. Then treat/paint like before. The clips can be purchased and replaced at anytime if you wish.
Oddly the concerns you pointed out are some of the same things I look at in an engine bay to help determine the environment a vehicle’s been in. Treated or untreated it’s always something a careful eye can discern. But it’s good to treat/protect it either way. As you’re talking care of the vehicle, and not letting a minor problem become a bigger one.

·
11,846 Posts
I'm gonna stop both of you right here. This is not a rust thread. There's plenty of them to choose from.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,564 Posts
If my engine bay needs it Dawn dish soap works very well both for degreasing and cleaning. After 14yrs she still looks good.

·
Premium Member
12,564 Posts
I'm going to be trying out Cerekote's Trim Coat on my exterior plastic and thinking if it goes well to clean and hit all the plastic under the hood with it too
Never tired Cerekote, I've had good success with Mothers Back to Black.

Reactions: Nameuser

·
Registered
231 Posts
Never tired Cerekote, I've had good success with Mothers Back to Black.
Just saw this released last week testing a few black plastic trim restorers/protectors and decided to give it a shot:

Before I would use Black Magic (non-water based Armor-All type stuff) on my exterior trim after cleaning it with magic erasers which, is a good point before using any trim restorer/protector is to have it super clean before application and the magic erasers work great.

I'll post some before and after pics. I'm planning on washing, waxing, applying cerekote, and ceramic coating the FJ this weekend.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Awesome! No need to post results from using cerakote as someone has started a cerakote thread with before and after results saving me the time not having to post results. Just search for “cerakote” on fj cruised forums!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Awesome! No need to post results from using cerakote as someone has started a cerakote thread with before and after results saving me the time not having to post results. Just search for “cerakote” on fj cruised forums!
I experienced the same great results!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts