Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm planning to add some LED grille lights this weekend and need a ground question answered. I have the wiring all figured out. Running a signal wire from a CH4x4 switch on the switch panel through the firewall to a relay in the engine bay. Just want to get a quick check if I should use the factory ground point A1 to ground the relay and LED lights or another (what looks like) ground point near A1 farther down the sidewall of the engine bay. First picture is factory ground A1, second picture if the other ground point near it. Is there any benefits to using one over the other?
A1.jpg

A1.jpg
Ground Option.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My led raptor grille lights are grounded to your first ground pic - factory ground location
Sand,
Dumb question - is it a screw or a bolr holding the grounding point onto the body? Just want ti nake sure I can completely unscrew that without losing a nut down inside the body.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a bolt. 10 or 12 mm.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Thanks vudoo. So, my really dumb question is: does the bolt have a nut on the back of it or is it bolted straight onto the body.

I.e.: if I just screw the bolt straight out, is a nut going to fall off the backside?. I started unscrewing the bolt and it appears that it is coming out (like there's no nut on the backside). I figure someone out there has done this before and knows, so I might as well ask before I go play human land-mine detector and lose a nut down where I'll never get it back or be able to re-attach the bolt.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It sounds like you might be overthinking it a little. You can use ANY bolt or crew that goes into the body and makes a metal to metal contact with the body. The negative terminal of the battery is connected directly to the body, so anything connected to the body is also connected to the battery - which is what you need

I assume you have a meter. I you want to be sure, you can just check that your chosen bolt/screw is electrically shorted to the ground points you mentioned above.

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds like you might be overthinking it a little. You can use ANY bolt or crew that goes into the body and makes a metal to metal contact with the body. The negative terminal of the battery is connected directly to the body, so anything connected to the body is also connected to the battery - which is what you need

I assume you have a meter. I you want to be sure, you can just check that your chosen bolt/screw is electrically shorted to the ground points you mentioned above.

Dan
Dan - thanks for the reply. I was asking more about "am I going to lose a nut unscrewing the bolt" than the electrical theory. This is a great forum and community. I appreciate you all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts