Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all. Thanks for having me! Long time lurker of the forum appreciating all the cool stuff going on out there.

Anyway, a few days ago I had the battery light on my 2007 FJ (purchased used 2 years ago) come on. It shut off after restarting the vehicle but the would come back on a few drives later. Replaced the battery as it was three years old and the auto parts store tested it and recommend it be replaced. After replacing it the speedometer starts acting whacky going up and down without any increase in RPM. The dashboard lights flicker and all of the dash warning lights/indicators come on. Eventually after driving a little all of the electrical components go out: lights/radio/clock/headlights/ brake lights (I assume) but the engine is still running.

I decide to take it to the dealership as I don't have much experience diagnosing electrical problems. :crying

Forgive me for the following description as I was in my 9-5 work mode and didn't get all the specifics but what I understood is that the engine compartment fuse block/box has melted because of poor connection to the 120 amp fuse. The tech said it looked like the thread had been damaged as if someone tried to repair it but performed a crappy job and stripped something at the fuse box. He also asked if I could have mixed up the terminals while installing the battery. I did not. He quoted something like $1033 for a replacement that would arrive in a couple weeks plus labor. He also mentioned that there could potentially be other damage that would require a new wire harness.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I cough up the thousand or work on it myself? Is there something larger that could have caused this? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you for any insight.

Attached are some pics he sent.

Attachments

·
Desert Moderator
5,683 Posts
That wouldn't be caused by reverse polarity on the battery.
I'd also be wary of having to replace the entire fuse block - I'm pretty confident that can be repaired.
It does look like that could have been loose to cause that damage, but I would suggest the terminals can be replaced.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That looks like a one in a million type of failure. So, if the damage is too severe to repair, or if you can't find a source for just the needed terminals...

The parts involved typically wouldn't see any wear over time and so one option could be to source all of those parts from an FJ being parted out (a crashed one, for instance). There are sometimes vehicles like that being posted on here.

If it is necessary to replace the whole box: Sometimes a fuse box like that has a half a dozen connectors going to it, and then a section of wire harness hardwired into it. Depending on how major the task is to disconnect that portion of harness from the rest of the vehicle would dictate how much labor is involved to swap it out.

Buying used parts would save a ton of money, and then the only expense would be labor to swap them on your vehicle.

Then, hopefully, nothing else was affected by this one failure, and if so, perhaps replacing just the terminals, or just that one box would be enough.
Norm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That wouldn't be caused by reverse polarity on the battery.
I'd also be wary of having to replace the entire fuse block - I'm pretty confident that can be repaired.
It does look like that could have been loose to cause that damage, but I would suggest the terminals can be replaced.
amaclach, got it back to my house to do some better inspecting. They mentioned that the ground on that component had become loose and that's what could have caused it to fail. Looks the ground screw spins as if the thread is damaged. The box is also a little melted in the compartment where the fuse sits. Not sure if the any clips were damaged. Do you have any advice/solutions for this?

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
g'Day,
this may or may not help you....
but might be worth a shot.
Remove the 120 amp fuse and create a new fuse position outside the fuse box so it runs from the Battery positive to an external 120 amp fuse and then to the fuse box.
see attached pic... this is the top bolt into the fuse box ..so this is where you would bolt the new fused line into the fuse box.
Its possible the fuse box, altho slightly melted ...will work just fine..and all you need is a new 120 amp fuse...
I would replace the original cable /fuse etc... with new 2 gauge cable / lugs / fuse ... and keep them all external out of the fuse box....
If it doesn't solve the issue ... you are no worse off ...for a few $$...
By trimming back cover / hiding the 120 amp into the fuse box... its an easy fix / test

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
g'Day,
this may or may not help you....
but might be worth a shot.
Remove the 120 amp fuse and create a new fuse position outside the fuse box so it runs from the Battery positive to an external 120 amp fuse and then to the fuse box.
see attached pic... this is the top bolt into the fuse box ..so this is where you would bolt the new fused line into the fuse box.
Its possible the fuse box, altho slightly melted ...will work just fine..and all you need is a new 120 amp fuse...
I would replace the original cable /fuse etc... with new 2 gauge cable / lugs / fuse ... and keep them all external out of the fuse box....
If it doesn't solve the issue ... you are no worse off ...for a few $$...
By trimming back cover / hiding the 120 amp into the fuse box... its an easy fix / test

cheers
Baz
Baz, I'm having a tough time picturing this. Might be because of limited knowledge of the electrical components. Do you have an other pics that could give me a better idea?

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
Baz, I'm having a tough time picturing this. Might be because of limited knowledge of the electrical components. Do you have an other pics that could give me a better idea?
G'Day Mate,
Sorry not really.... I just know where it is...:lol:
but this indepth thread might help you ..... its the long way to pull the fuse box apart .... to get to the 120 amp fuse...
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/150047-120-amp-fuse-replacement.html

Given you have a damaged fuse box ( melted ) you could run into more issues trying to pull it apart... the short cut I suggested ...saves all this faffing..

I'll keep looking for more n better pixs of it.

cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
With that kind of heat your fortunate to still have an FJ and any circuitry around that spot.

What Baz said can work. Your replacing the factory circuitry with custom circuitry to save ease of repair and probably more accessible in the future.

I suggest getting experienced help that knows vehicle 12 volt DC circuits.

This could turn out as an easy fix or could have electrical gremlins for a while.

·
Desert Moderator
5,683 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Since you said you are unfamiliar with this kind of work, I recommend taking it to a mechanic, like one who regularly installs custom bumpers and winches, or to a good stereo installation shop who does high end work. Both kinds of shops would deal with installing high current auxiliary wiring all of the time, and probably have the bits in stock, and so all they'd have to figure out is the detail at the fuse block that Bazros is referring to.

Norm

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
"They mentioned that the ground on that component had become loose and that's what could have caused it to fail. Looks the ground screw spins as if the thread is damaged."

Regardless of where you put the fuse, you still still must address this grounding issue. It is the root cause of the failure. However, I have no idea how to address it as I lack familiarity with that grounding point.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Make a new ground point. Fix the threads @ existing. Correcting the ground issue is the simplest thing you got going right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts