Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a close look at my engine as I was hearing a weird noise coming from there. I noticed that the engine has this weird sort of etching or something on it. It isn't smooth aluminum like I'd expect to see. It is right below the valve covers. Is this a common thing? I didn't even know what to search for using the forum search function.

I just expected to see some smooth metal there. Instead I see metal that looks like it was dried in saran wrap or something. Does everybody's have this, or does anybody even know what I'm talking about? I'll try to get a picture of it if my explanation makes no sense.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I am guessing you are talking about the casting texture?
If so, no, the outside of the motor is not smooth. It was cast, and the parts that don't need to be worked are not, so most is left rough.
Hey it helps cooling...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's what it looks like. It looks like it was from casting. It just looks kind of cheap. I have never had a car that had that on the engine (at least that I could see). I love the FJ so far though. No complaints really. I was just wondering if that was normal, or if I got an oddball.

It is possible that ALF was involved though. Heh heh. This board cracks me up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts